Noob - 6 months on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Earlier today I rode around Loch Leven with my pal Richie. It was pretty much 14 miles around and we headed out in a clockwise direction. All was going great until I tried to cane it up a hill. Everything went to shoot, I thought I was going to pass out. Very foolishly I hadn't eaten anything since my nightshift last night. All my years in the army and I've never ever felt like that and I got quite scared although I understood what was wrong. A large latte with 4 scoops of sugar and a healthy slice of sultana loaf hit the spot quite quickly but I didn't really regain 100%, the headwind didn't help!! I guess what unsettled me was how quickly it happened. I also noticed pins and needles in my toes quite soon into the ride along with quite severe numbness around the gentlemen's area. Other than that it was a cracking afternoon, does this sound familiar??

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sim2003

It does sound similar . The pins and needles only hit me really for the last few miles . I think it was down to poor blood circulation to the feet as my crotch was getting uncomfortable too. The head winds and added hills probably made me exert myself more than I thought. I have purchased me some padded shorts now going to give them a try tomorrow.

I am real jealous of your Loch Leven ride around though :smile:.

OP
OP
S

Sim2003

I'm still getting pins and needles too, I just get off for a few minutes and walk about then get going again, don't think it's a major issue tho...

I think its just because I'm fat to be honest and have a smallish seat even though I find the seat real comfortable still.

See if this helps you too though, I have found if drop one foot off the pedal for 4-5 seconds and then the other this eases it off for a while. Your feet shouldn't touch the ground, just don't point your toes down ofc. Also try wiggling your toes this helps me some too. I just find it real odd because I have read lots about it and tried all sorts from changing my socks, using Lycra shorts, using different foot wear and also adjusted saddle position a few times. It could easily just be because the amount of pressure I have to put down on climbs, etc

I loved my first ride out, I felt like a 12 yr old on Xmas Day... Mostly because I never had a bike as a kid.
It's one of the best things I've ever done buying a bike, I'm on it every day and cycle to work :smile:

You are right It is a great feeling probably because its a good way to de-stress and therefore your day begins on a high from the start.I do find my commute to be awful somedays and even that isn't terrible now I detour a little. The long rides out are lovely just make sure you take lots of liquid or a lock so you can go the shop :smile:

The real key is gaining confidence when on the bike as other road users can be real danger to you and others. Equally true some can be amazing towards you. I just show lots of courtesy and always allow the drivers I believe to be a danger to just pass me.

OP
OP
S

Sim2003

Well its coming up to 6 months with the new partner (trek). I now weigh 18st instead of the 18.9 i was.

So far I have done 1754miles on her. Hit a spd avg off 16.1 mph on my commute to work. (Once lol its usually about 14 to 15 in).

Also got a small group together that now ride out regularly on a Tuesday morning. They are all older and fitter than me but its still a great laugh. Had one join me at first and now there can be as many as 6 of us on that ride. Plus a few other friends made including @Chris Swift for some nice rides out.

I am still needing to lose weight even though I am told I look slimmer, the scales dont say this. I do however feel fitter and love knowing I can do 40+miles if I want to.

Its also great that people at work now ask me about cycling and general fitness where as before hardly anyone spoke of it.

So glad I got into this and thanks to all that have given thier time and advice.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Glad to hear you've kept it up @Sim2003 & sounds like you are still enjoying it :okay:
I find that with cycling I don't lose that much weight, but gain muscle & feel fitter. Small changes to your diet will help if you want to lose weight, but slow & steady weight loss is normally better for you 9lb in 6 months is over a stone a year & as each year goes by you'll probably feel fitter & be faster :smile:

OP
OP
S

Sim2003

Managed 16.5 this morning wasnt out of breathe this time lol. New walking shoes seem to do the trick.

And yes im very much enjoying it. So much I rarely game atm.

Well its coming up to 6 months with the new partner (trek). I now weigh 18st instead of the 18.9 i was.

So far I have done 1754miles on her. Hit a spd avg off 16.1 mph on my commute to work. (Once lol its usually about 14 to 15 in).

Also got a small group together that now ride out regularly on a Tuesday morning. They are all older and fitter than me but its still a great laugh. Had one join me at first and now there can be as many as 6 of us on that ride. Plus a few other friends made including @Chris Swift for some nice rides out.

I am still needing to lose weight even though I am told I look slimmer, the scales dont say this. I do however feel fitter and love knowing I can do 40+miles if I want to.

Its also great that people at work now ask me about cycling and general fitness where as before hardly anyone spoke of it.

So glad I got into this and thanks to all that have given thier time and advice.
Well done buddy, keep up the good work ;-). I was off the bike for a spell this summer, sold the house and moved but am back in the saddle now, treated myself to a new ride. Had a nice easy run out this morning to St Andrews, cycle path all the way. The area we moved to (NE Fife) is fantastic bike country. How did you get together with your bike pals. I really don't mind my own company on the bike at all but it would be nice for the crack, I think about it a lot but am no speeder, ride a hybrid and am not yet achieving great distances like some on here. I don't even record distance yet, I use the hour and a half/jelly legs/blowing out of my arse/sore arse method, but you know what? I love it!! Keep going mate ;-)

OP
OP
S

Sim2003

@Innes

I just decided to use the skyride social thing and put my usual Tuesday ride down on there for a 10week schedule. For the first 3 weeks it was just me signed up to my own "event" , and then one week I had 4 signed up but only 1 showed up . That lady did other rides too and got someone she knew to join up with me. Then a couple others joined up another week after seeing me locally out and about. Then 1 more was purely a tag along that now cycles out every now and then with us.

It is great having the company as the rides tend to be very fun and eventful . Had a tough ride this Tuesday, new route, lots of hills and I had a very busy day on the Monday + broken sleep thanks to emergency electrical work outside the house. Even with me feeling awful we still managed to do 31miles with a personal best on time for it 2hrs29min. If It was just me I probably wouldn't have gone out. We dont really try to ride real fast just ride and chat, except on the hills where I am dieing lol.

Must be lovely cycling up there though. You wouldn't want to race it round.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)

Good weight loss is gradual. Look at upping your distances, as well as minor diet changes (cut out chocolate bars, sugary drinks, etc). 50 miles isn't silly, and is a lot of calories.

Speed looks good. I'm luck to average over 16 mile/h on my commute, but it is quite urban.

Top Bottom