not losing weight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
OK for you guys out there who think it's more about types/quality of food than the calorific balance, how do you explain this?

Klaus

I have been cycling regularly for about 18 months now, at week-ends mainly, about 30 to 50 miles a week. Started with 85 kg (I am 5'8"). My diet is reasonably healthy and it's been only recently that I lost some weight. Yesterday the scales told me 82.3 kg. I will keep track on this just to see how this works. Just persevere is my answer.

yello

I don't expect to loose weight from cycling. My weight loss of 4kg in the last 6 months has been due entirely to diet change. I couldn't tell you the calorific value of the change since I don't count calories. Broadly speaking, I've cut down on carbs and eat a more protein based diet. Not Atkins, not primal - but inspired by both and the many other low carb advocates.

Ghost Donkey ,in both this post and others on the subject, touches on a number of points with which I am in agreement. There is a diverse range of opinion on the subject though and I do not profess to understand the science nor am I in a position to critique it. I simply read and form my own opinion.

VamP

Banned
We have a better example than that - our local weight loss supremo gb155 got huge eating only junk, and achieved most of his 27-odd stone loss while still eating only junk!

While you are right, gb155 has achieved his weightloss largely through a large increase in physical exercise. What's interesting about the nutritionist example above is that he reached his weight loss purely by reducing calorific intake, while purposely eating junk, and not increasing his exercise at all. It came about as a bet with his students I believe, many of whom thought it was impossible to lose weight without eating more healthily (read - cutting out junk food).

Oh and before anyone thinks that I am advocating eating junk, I'm not. :biggrin:

OK for you guys out there who think it's more about types/quality of food than the calorific balance, how do you explain this?

I can't explain it but I like his style. Like I've said I'm not an expert, just read up on various aspects of science and tried making changes which have had a big effect on me personally. I'll stick to what I'm doing (sadly not junk food
sad.gif
).

screenman

Legendary Member
I must admit I still took in junk food during my weight loss, however I did stay negative calories everyday.

PeteT

I think it also depends upon how you cycle. Taking your mileage in a slow, relaxed manner will burn a lot more fat than riding harder, as in the latter case, your body turns to readily-available carbs first; whereas when taking things steady, the body burns fat as it's first preference. Certainly worked for me when I got back on the bike.

screenman

Legendary Member
PeteT, I have always been a bit confused by that one. 25 miles at say 25mph will burn more calories than at say 10mph as we know. I do know about fueling the systems from different sources, but not how it effects weight loss, perhaps you could enlighten us.

yello

Taking your mileage in a slow, relaxed manner will burn a lot more fat than riding harder, as in the latter case, your body turns to readily-available carbs first; whereas when taking things steady, the body burns fat as it's first preference. Certainly worked for me when I got back on the bike.

That claim is vigorously disputed by many, possibly to the point of it being generally accepted to be incorrect! Consensus is (and I accept it too) that you don't burn more, you just burn more as a percentage of total burn.

You're right in that at higher intensity levels your body switches to carbs for fuel but it's neither a 100% switch nor does it last that long. There's a limit to carb (glycogen) stores in the body, hence athletes topping up regularly with gels and the like, but fat is more plentiful. You still burn fat on a hard ride, it's just a lesser percentage of the total burn but not necessarily a lesser amount.

There's an interesting article in last month's CyclingActive (I think) about training your body to burn fat in preference to carb. In short, you're inducing bonk and forcing your body to switch to the fat stores. There's also an interesting comment from an ex-pro saying they didn't understand the science but they realised that it they bonked during a race that they'd feel stronger for it in the races/weeks that followed!

Crankarm

Guru
You bunch of girlies. Stop worrying about calories and enjoy the cycling!. Just eat proper food and all will be well. Just keep away from junk crap food.

+1. Your mouth is the only thing that is getting more exercise. Eat smaller portions, exercise harder and for longer. Simples.

Forget these crap articles by pseudo medico nutritonists in mags such as CP+ or CPactive load of crap. Just eat a healthy balanced diet including carbs and fats as your body needs all food groups, but just cut down on how much food you eat and as I say exercise harder and for longer. It's not frikin rocket science.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I lost 3 stone during this year; started in March and finished at the end of September.

Once I started cycling the weight didn't change for about 6 weeks. Clothes felt looser but I weighed the same - despite managing a reduced calorie diet carefully. I went for 5-6000 calories a week difference, which was boringly carefully managed. It was muscle replacing the fat, with muscle weighing more.

Then, once I hit May, the weight plummeted off - and I lost 1/2 a stone per month.

Keep going, but I'd add that I had to be doing 100+ miles a week. I'd started at 25, then tried 50 and it was only at 100 that the results really showed.

broomwagon

I've been doing three half hour sessions a week on the turbo, nothing scientific, just working up a fair old sweat getting myself fitter and getting out for shortish rides at weekends, 30-40 miles, and the weight's coming off. Everyone who sees me comments on how much I've lost. It's not much, just a few pounds, but apparently it's noticeable to others. Like has been said, I'm not eating any more either, but I do eat sensibly, putting in the right things regarding protein and carbs and exercising the heart to a good old rate.

Top Bottom