not losing weight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

picklemomma

I've been cycling between 25 + 50 miles a week for the last month but the scales aren't shifting, although I'm sure my clothes feel looser (but that could be wishful thinking...)

Is it that I'm just replacing fat with muscle so the scales won't move? Or is that a myth?

How long will I have to wait before I really see a difference and people start to comment?

I've only got 1 - 1 1/2 stone to lose to get to my ideal weight, and I know that the last stone is supposed to be the hardest....

Any advice / shared experience very welcome!

Cath

VamP

Banned
Unless you are on a calorie controlled diet, the mileages that you are cycling will by themselves not result in any weight loss.

OP
OP
picklemomma

picklemomma

Unless you are on a calorie controlled diet, the mileages that you are cycling will by themselves not result in any weight loss.

I'm watching the calories too, but would have assumed that if I'm eating the same amount now as I was when I was driving to work, there should be some weight loss as I'm burning a lot more calories?

VamP

Banned
I'm watching the calories too, but would have assumed that if I'm eating the same amount now as I was when I was driving to work, there should be some weight loss as I'm burning a lot more calories?

You're probably not burning any more than 1200 - 2000 extra calories per week. That's a small enough amount over a week to disappear in calorie counting inaccuracies.

On the other hand if your clothes feel looser, then it's working, and the weight is a secondary indicator, so just persevere.

I don't believe that muscle growth will be significant at your mileages, unless you're combining with gym as well.

I'm not sure if this will be helpful to you at all but how I'm losing weight is in the OP. This is certainly working for me. https://www.cyclechat.net/

I will add the strong disclaimer that I know absolutely nothing about nutrition and am not qualified to advise on it on any level. Please do your own research before changing diet etc.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have lost 1.5stone since I started last June. Also I have not altered my diet at all. I just eat the same as before. Can't be bothered with all that calorie counting, that's for girls. I only do between 10 and 20 miles about 3 times a week, all with a few hills thrown in.

screenman

Legendary Member
Lost 4 stone last year counting calories and excercising, just checked and definitely not a girl.

Simple solution, to lose weight eat less calories than you use.

Scrap the muscle/fat idea that is only an excuse for those people who eat too much whilst trying to lose weight.

kedab

Veteran
Lost 4 stone last year counting calories and excising, just checked and definitely not a girl.

but you were 'excising' so that's a bit cheaty ;)

i put on weight when i began my commute 6 months ago - about a stone to be inaccurate. this, i'm sure, is because my thighs have become rather large - my fiance put it beautifully a few months ago. looking at me with just my pants on she said, from your feet to your waist, you look like an athlete. from your waist up, you look like the skinny little sh!t you've always been :ohmy:

so more calories burned that taken on will equal weight loss - but the muscle you'll improve/develop (on your bottom half at least) will mean that it won't necessarily happen all that quickly...in my unprofessional opinion :rolleyes:

screenman

Legendary Member
you have to burn 45,000 calories to produce a pound of muscle, according to some experts. I suggest you may have been eating more due to the cycling.

Scrap the muscle/fat idea that is only an excuse for those people who eat too much whilst trying to lose weight.

I agree with this bit

Simple solution, to lose weight eat less calories than you use.

Disagree in part as it is an oversimplification I am not doubting for a minute that this worked for you or the effort and commitment involved on your part.

Do a t'internet search for endocrinology and fat storage. It helped me to understand how the body works in terms of storing fat and access to fat stores. You'll need to be wide awake unless it's your subject.

just checked and definitely not a girl.

I don't know you but I'll trust your answer on this one
wink.gif

I suggest you may have been eating more due to the cycling.

That was my problem. Lots of exercise = big appetite. That and a love of multi-layered hash brown sandwiches
rolleyes.gif
. I severely overestimated the number of calories I needed to recover (yes I know I just said it's not just about calories). Especially starchy potato based calories (great for recovery) with added processed vegetable oil (not so great for recovery)

Edited for typos

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
You bunch of girlies. Stop worrying about calories and enjoy the cycling!. Just eat proper food and all will be well. Just keep away from junk crap food.

screenman

Legendary Member
Easier said than done, I am married to a women who loves baking cakes, puddings, biscuits etc, then guess what she does not eat them herself but relies on me to clear the shelves. I have found about the only way to lose weight is tie her hands behind her back, trouble is then she cannot make my coffee, black of course less calories.

Top Bottom