not losing weight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mozzy

Oh go then, OT again. haagen dazs ice cream are looking for an apprentice tester.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3896444/Tasty-job-for-fans-of-ice-cream.html

Only in the Sun
whistling.gif

Mozzy

Not to bring up an old argument here (from a page or two back at least) but my none calorie counting approach pro natural food, natural fat doesn't make you fat, science of body fat storage/hormones/effects of food types on your blood etc approach is still working for me at least. I was getting changed in the bedroom last week and I caught a glimpse of something in the mirror and had to do a double take. Twas stomach muscles. A very pleasant surprise and not something I had previously expected to see. I Spent the next five minutes moving around in front of the mirror trying to find the best position to get them to show :blush:. They're now more prominent whilst not being a proper stand out six pack. I'd previously read being lean is more important for this kind of thing than being able to do lots of abdominal exercises. I struggle to reach 40 sit ups at the moment. Needless to say I'll be doing regular core strength work now including abdominal work. I'm actually exercising less than normal in general but regularly swim and am getting gradually faster in the pool faster as well as continuing to make improvements to my running speed. My food choices are not leaving me short on energy. The weight loss obviously helps with making running easier a bit.

So without counting calories you are eating fewer than you use up, well done.

biggrin.gif

Not my theory but we're all adults here.

There's so many well qualified individuals backing up every competing theory as well as a large number of lifestyle factors to consider it's impossible to have any concrete proofs or beliefs. There's most likely truth in your point on my calorie intake but my fat and protein intake is up (9 cals per gram fat, 4 or 5 cals per gram carbs in it's crudest calculation) and my two stone weight loss in under three months while still being active would have to be a huge calorie deficit compared to my previous eating. I do believe that it's not as simple as calories in/out but that's just me reading a lot of linked and agreeing articles and resources. I also believe that high calorie fats in their most natural form (nuts, meat fish, eggs, full fat milk, cold pressed olive oil, rapeseed oil) don't make you fat and also believe individuals are different. My mum is the best example I know of when it comes to low calorie intake not making you thin and she really tries and is very strict with her diets and calorie counting and has been for years. She's an individual though and a lot of factors come into play.

Bugger, gone off on one again. Apologies for hijacking the thread
whistling.gif

screenman

Legendary Member
I think I like to simplify things, counting calories seems easier than selective eating, however I fully appreciate everybody is different. I must say that I am yet to meet the person who eats negative calories and does not lose weight.

[quotename='screenman' timestamp='1320753639' post='1913904']
I must saythat I am yet to meet the person who eats negative calories and doesnot lose weight.
[/quote]

I'd agree with that 100%. On apersonal note counting calories is a pain but selecting my food outof the ones I know I like and timing certain ones around training ismuch more agreeable. Fitting my choice in and around family meals andbasing it on the food I make for the children makes this even moreso. My wife likes topoint out I don't just "do" things but like to read up onthe how, why and opposing views so I can pretend I know what I'mtalking about
biggrin.gif

yello

It's not that calorie counting doesn't work, it's that there are other ways to loose weight.

I think we might read the same things GD. :smile:

Crankarm

Guru
It's not calorie counting or lack of it that has resulted in your more svelte profile it is doing more exercise. A balanced diet and frequent hard exercise will mean you lose weight and become a much healthier person. It is staggering the amount of crap people convince themselves is the reason for their fatness or lack of fitness. Over eating and bone idleness are the causes. Most people are pretty lazy and then a large proportion of these are in denial, they cannot even be truthful with themselves let alone with others. If you really want to lose weight and also become fit and healthy you have to want to do it. There are two ways to do it. 1)Starve yourself and carry on as usual - yes you will get there in the end, size zero, but it will be a pretty miserable experience or 2) Eat a healthy balanced diet, and I don't believe people who claim ignorance as to what is healthy, and crucially do exercise, regularly and work hard. If they want to get fit and lose weight they will. If people are slobs in denial, making up all sorts of excuses and relying on fads, they won't. Period.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
To sumerise Crankarm and plaguerise Billy Connolly "Eat less, move more"

It's not calorie counting or lack of it that has resulted in your more svelte profile it is doing more exercise. A balanced diet and frequent hard exercise will mean you lose weight and become a much healthier person.
This may be true for a lot of people but I still believe it's not that simple. I disagree with this if you're referring to me. As you don't know me or me eating or training history I could not expect you to see this from my unique point of view and the following is not meant in a negative light towards you or your opinion if indeed you refer to me in your post. I've had a reduced training volume (intensity x duration) during this recent period of weight loss for reasons beyond my control. Several people I train with who race long distance races (ironman with or without the M dot branding) pointed me in the biology/endocrinology, reduced carb increased natural fat and protein direction initially when we were discussing weight management and my concerns with possible weight gain as a result of reduced training volume. They had also had success following this approach. Some recommended reading material and the other information I found following this proved invaluable to me and set me on my way to try and give myself a basic understanding of the subject. A bit of sports nutrition reading also helped with appropriate ways to apply this such as the timing of certain foods relating to training to ensure recovery. I trained six days a week through late spring and summer including once a week 4km open water swim from the spring onwards. My weight was around 13st with very little fluctuation before changing my eating habits. My training has fluctuated up to around June due to said problems out of my control but when time is limited I still train late at night when everyone is in bed. My weight was fairly constant. I have a nice photo of me at ~13st on the finishing line of a triathlon in August when I was at my fittest this year following my highest training volume and a bit of a taper. I currently train around four days a week and have done during this time of weight loss.

It's probably true there are many who are in denial and should eat less and do more as you said. If it were that simple though for every individual the health problems of the nation would be much more easily cured. some of the advice given out by well meaning people which is meant to help clearly doesn't. The diet industry is also exactly that, an industry. It is very easy to blame everyone who is afflicted as lazy. I don't count myself as the afflicted and I am lazy
whistling.gif

I've done it again. Another long winded post with too many brackets.

I'll get my coat and leave this one alone I think. I'm dragging it on longer than necessary. I'll be in the café if you need me before failing to sort out the Greek economy.
bicycle.gif

yello

It is staggering the amount of crap people convince themselves is the reason for their fatness or lack of fitness.

Some people, I'm sure, bit not all.

I can agree to differ on the subject since, as GD points out, there is enough research and opinion out there to support any number of views. I'm honest enough to admit that I don't know and stick with what works for me. So I could never simplistically dismiss as lazy those people who are trying to loose weight but failing.

Glover Fan

I think the safest bet would be to say you are both right. However Crankarm's is a far simpler method and it will work for everybody.

To put another spin on it, I have noticed a lot of cyclists struggle with the plataeu effect. Lots of initial weightloss followed by nothing or little.

Do you know why? It is far too easy to not push yourself on a bike. Your body becomes far too efficient at cycling, and a lot of people convince themselves that because they are doing exercise per se, then its not their fault. They must have something wrong with their metabolism or the old favourite - "muscle is heavier than fat". It is, but I certainly haven't developed much muscle mass cycling!

Don't forget as well that a lot of people love cycling because you can buy fancy sugary drinks and stop at loads of cafes to stuff your face with cake, because otherwise you will bonk. On a 25 mile ride. It is just absolute overkill. I wouldn't start advising energy drinks until above 50 miles as well as a cake stop in the same distance.

So your average cyclist has 3 initial options:

Cut the crap unnecessary drinking and eating during shorter training rides. Water will suffice.

Try higher intensity workouts or increase distance.

Try cross training.

For me options 1 and 3 combined work beautifully, which is why since I have started running again in the past month I have started to lose a distinct fat pouch around my stomach gained from over indulgence on the bike in summer!

yello

However Crankarm's is a far simpler method and it will work for everybody.

IF (and it is a big if) you can know with any degree of accuracy how many calories you are consuming AND how you are burning them! As I've said plenty of times before, 'burn more than you consume to lose weight' is true (imho)... but it's an overly simplistic statement. Sure, by knocking yourself out on the treadmill and eating lettuce leaves, you will lose weight. But it doesn't have to be that hard. It's your choice and I'm not going to insist on any method.

yello

Don't forget as well that a lot of people love cycling because you can buy fancy sugary drinks and stop at loads of cafes to stuff your face with cake, because otherwise you will bonk. On a 25 mile ride. It is just absolute overkill.

I'd agree. Some (and I include myself in this) don't know how they're burning calories (and so, it follows, how many) and then underestimate how many they are consuming (and of what type).

Top Bottom