Now the anti-cyclist are lobbying god to help them in their cause.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I know the area very well but cant see what church they are talking about . What ever church it is , there is very little foot traffic outside them .
Personally i think they should put the cycle path in the road and make the area even more congested with cars . Maybe then people would walk to the shop or to school .

I know the area very well but cant see what church they are talking about .
It's this one. I can see their reasons for being against it on a personal level. Almost all churches use the land around the entrance; to gather and chat after mass, for bridal parties to assemble themselves, for pall bearers to carry a coffin etc. And this church fills the entire block so they have no other outside area except the public footway.

That doesn't justify them invoking "god" to take sides.

Surely this offers opportunities, not problems? Open air services,
Lol, check the link above, they'll have to be on the roof if they lose their pavement.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Isn't the problem not with cyclists, but with TfL?
From the link in the OP, it is the wide pavement which will offered up as sacrifice to the Cycle Superhighway. Does the road part of Chiswick HIgh Road have some sort of exemption?

mustang1

Guru
I have upped my praying regimen and have also joined several other faiths in my quest to oppose the so-called... Hold on, what's this about again? Ok whatever, I will pray for whoever pays highest.

There is much to pray about for the world,” says a parish newsletter from the Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church in Chiswick, West London, “and the 10.30am daily public recitation of the Rosary in church will also be praying for success in turning the plans for CS9 away from the High Road and the church.”

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/lo...sessions-opposing-a-cycle-superhighway/021964

There's only one way to beat them. We pray harder.

Or maybe, in true Christian fashion, we just turn the other cheek?

ScreenHunter_564 Oct. 06 23.06.jpg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
It's this one. I can see their reasons for being against it on a personal level. Almost all churches use the land around the entrance; to gather and chat after mass, for bridal parties to assemble themselves, for pall bearers to carry a coffin etc. And this church fills the entire block so they have no other outside area except the public footway.
So they don't want the pavement being a cycle route, but there's no problem with it being a car park (based on the image in the link)

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Isn't the problem not with cyclists, but with TfL?
From the link in the OP, it is the wide pavement which will offered up as sacrifice to the Cycle Superhighway. Does the road part of Chiswick HIgh Road have some sort of exemption?
Detailed plans at https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/d11f0415/ - basically a third of the width of the cycleway outside the church is from removing the traffic island in the middle of the road, another third is currently the buffer space around the fence which fails to stop people driving onto that pavement and yes, the remaining third is narrowing the footway. The church's neighbours to the west have it worse because all the cycleway is coming from the footway there and they don't even get new parking spaces like the church is.

East of there, Chiswick High Road seems to have the cycleway taken from the carriageway.

Last edited:

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
So they don't want the pavement being a cycle route, but there's no problem with it being a car park (based on the image in the link)
From my understanding they are almost saying the exact opposite, that they don't want to lose space from the pavement. The issue is TfL going for the easy answer of nicking some pavement rather than reducing the road.

As for people parking on wide pavements/verges that is a universal unpleasant phenomenon unfortunately.

The church have been rather tactless but they do have a point that funerals and almost all weddings will have vehicles parked outside and there should be some sensible way to accommodate them without getting in the way of cyclists. I'm sure a pragmatic solution can be found, after all they unusually have a lot of space to play with. Perhaps removable street furniture like benches which can be used to park one hearse or car during events.

Top Bottom