Now the anti-cyclist are lobbying god to help them in their cause.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
The thread seems to have moved on from the initial jovial posts to more serious discussion about the subject of the OP, so I've moved it out of the Cafe to a more appropriate forum.

Cheers,
Shaun

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
As I wrote earlier, outside the church it looks like only a third of the width being reallocated to cycleway (a metre max but I've not got the scale ruler out) is usable footway. The rest of the width is a fence and its buffer and a traffic island in the middle of the road at the moment.
If I'm going that way tomorrow, I'll take a piccie. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the irony of cyclists defending their right as road users to hem in pedestrians on narrower pavements.:okay:

Cronorider

Cool! I'll do the length of both houses of Parliament, Whitehall, the Mall and straight through Buck House, please.

Alternatively, let's say death isn't a good reason to be a dick and block a footway or a cycleway.

I have carried a coffin. You?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If I'm going that way tomorrow, I'll take a piccie. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the irony of cyclists defending their right as road users to hem in pedestrians on narrower pavements.:okay:
Not sure what the pic will show that's not on the ones linked above.

I'd rather the remaining third was also taken from the carriageway there but it's only a third not the whole width.

But I'd also say the footway should be a footway and not church event parking. Ticket the daffodils.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have carried a coffin. You?
My father's coffin was carried a damned sight further than from the proposed parking spaces in Dukes Avenue to that church because the road ended at the churchyard wall, as usual in villages. It didn't even go in the nearest door of the church. Soft southern townies! ;)

classic33

Leg End Member
Not sure what the pic will show that's not on the ones linked above.

I'd rather the remaining third was also taken from the carriageway there but it's only a third not the whole width.

But I'd also say the footway should be a footway and not church event parking. Ticket the daffodils.
Nor should it be a cycle lane/way. Can't cycle on the road, get off and push.

DPP vs Jones 1999 would be a good place to start
https://www.lawteacher.net/free-law-essays/constitutional-law/summary-of-dpp-v-jones-law-essay.php says they were on a grass verge, not a pavement.

Edit: Can't see how it helps
"The majority of the Lords opinions concluded that Dr. Jones and Mr Lloyd did not restrict the public’s high way nor did they constitute trespass if it was a reasonable user of the highway. So with that being the majority view from the judges the conviction was overturned and quashed."

Last edited:
Top Bottom