Now the anti-cyclist are lobbying god to help them in their cause.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
They will definitely need to block the bike lane after it is built to accommodate the hearse for funerals

Exactly, and that's the pragmatic solution. Presumably hearses and wedding cars pull up outside the church at the moment despite their being some parking and unloading restrictions.

So they continue to do this, they just park in the cycle lane. Then someone from the Church acts as marshal (if necessary) so cyclists go around the cars. One would hope that, at the point the coffin is taken out of the hearse a cyclists would stop in any case (in the same way a pedestrian presumably would on the pavement)

Drago

Legendary Member
They don't need parking. The Lord will provide.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
They of all people should remember that Jesus was a cyclist. After all, did it not say in the Bible, "And Lo! The Lord Jesus rode off on his Triumph"?
I think that was Moses. The roar of his triumph is heard in the hills. Exodus somewhere or other.
I believe that Joshua had a roaring Triumph too. Not Jesus though. I think that the Apostles had an Accord IIRC.

Cronorider

The church building occupies the whole of its land, necessitating their outsourcing of parking space onto public land. Perhaps, if parking is that important to the church, they could demolish and rebuild allocating space for cars on their land.

If you think this is merely a parking issue you do not have a very good understanding of the situation. It's about having a space to properly conclude special occasions like weddings and funerals

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
If you think this is merely a parking issue you do not have a very good understanding of the situation. It's about having a space to properly conclude special occasions like weddings and funerals

This is what I mean by a bit of give and take by all stakeholders. The Church has been using the public space outside its building, no doubt for years, to conclude things like weddings and funerals.

But the space is publicly owned and the Church can't expect to have final say over how it's used. They seem to have got a reasonable compromise with what appears to be space to park the hearses and wedding cars and still conduct the informal bits of ceremonies outside the building

Sure, not as much room as before. But it looks like enough, and it wasn't theirs in the first place

Cronorider

This is what I mean by a bit of give and take by all stakeholders. The Church has been using the public space outside its building, no doubt for years, to conclude things like weddings and funerals.

But the space is publicly owned and the Church can't expect to have final say over how it's used. They seem to have got a reasonable compromise with what appears to be space to park the hearses and wedding cars and still conduct the informal bits of ceremonies outside the building

Sure, not as much room as before. But it looks like enough, and it wasn't theirs in the first place

Sure - just pointing out that it's not about parking, it's about ceremony. They will have to block the bike lane, perhaps get the appropriate permits to do so etc.

classic33

Leg End Member

Sure - just pointing out that it's not about parking, it's about ceremony. They will have to block the bike lane, perhaps get the appropriate permits to do so etc.
Said it before, but who'd object to a coffin being taken from either the hearse to the church or the church to the hearse.

It'd be a mean sod that would deny the dead their last journey.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Said it before, but who'd object to a coffin being taken from either the hearse to the church or the church to the hearse.

It'd be a mean sod that would deny the dead their last journey.
Cool! I'll do the length of both houses of Parliament, Whitehall, the Mall and straight through Buck House, please.

Alternatively, let's say death isn't a good reason to be a dick and block a footway or a cycleway.

classic33

Leg End Member
Cool! I'll do the length of both houses of Parliament, Whitehall, the Mall and straight through Buck House, please.

Alternatively, let's say death isn't a good reason to be a dick and block a footway or a cycleway.
That has to be one of the worst posts on this thread.

@Cronorider, now you see what I meant.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It's about a mile and a half from here. There's a nice wide pavement....a public space. Why should it be stolen for transport purposes? If TfL decided to stick a single lane road down the pavement, how would the parishioners on here react?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's about a mile and a half from here. There's a nice wide pavement....a public space. Why should it be stolen for transport purposes? If TfL decided to stick a single lane road down the pavement, how would the parishioners on here react?
As I wrote earlier, outside the church it looks like only a third of the width being reallocated to cycleway (a metre max but I've not got the scale ruler out) is usable footway. The rest of the width is a fence and its buffer and a traffic island in the middle of the road at the moment.

Top Bottom