Odd factoids

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Blue Hills, 12 Nov 2017.

1. Dave7

Dave7 Guru

Now you tell me. I have tried all ways to clean my hummingbird feeders** (I have 6 of them btw). And all this while I could have used egg shells.
    **I have no idea why but in the 6 years I have had the feeders not one hummingbird has bothered to visit :sad:

2. Dave7

Dave7 Guru

Naan bread was invented in India in the 16th Century but not as a food. It was theoretically a cheap footwear. They quickly realised it was not suitable but as they had already made 3000 tons of it they had to quickly find another use. Someone developed curry and the problem was solved.

raleighnut and classic33 like this.
  3. colly

colly Re member eR

I thought nan bread was invented by my granny. Just goes to show she was good at spinning a yarn.

Profpointy, raleighnut and classic33 like this.
  4. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Bit like when synthetic soles were developed for British footwear in the 70s, there were a lot of leather soles no longer required but luckily 'Berni Inns' were invented and took all the unwanted stock.

Profpointy and Kempstonian like this.
  5. Dave7

Dave7 Guru

You can never trust a granny. I bet she also told you that you were a good, sweet child ^_^

Kempstonian and classic33 like this.
  6. colly

colly Re member eR

She did on occasion. ..when she wasn't giving me a clip round the ear.

Kempstonian and classic33 like this.
  7. Dave7

Dave7 Guru

In the 60s Berni inns did a deal with Jamie Olivers grandad who ran all school dinners at the time. They bought all the left over semolina, tapioca and chocolate pudding. They mashed it all together and put cherries on top....and Black Forrest Gateaux was created.

8. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

VO2 Max is measured as the maximum rate at which you can deliver oxygen to your working muscles. The world record for a human is about 97 litres per minute per kg of weight in a Norwegian cross country skier. Sedentary adults have a figure between 15-30 litres per minute per kg of body weight. A bumble bee in comparison can work at a rate of about 6,000 litres per minute per kg of weight.

9. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

So that's how they manage to fly.

10. colly

colly Re member eR

I reckon that's a load of bollaux

raleighnut and Dave7 like this.
  11. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

In Red Dwarf "Better Than Life", Holly notes that even though loneliness weighs heavily on us all, "Personally, the only thing that keeps me going is the thought that we are over 60 billion miles away from the nearest Berni Inn."

colly and raleighnut like this.
  12. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

For the Duson, of Borneo, the Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher is considered such a bad omen. A warrior who see's one on their way to a battle, will return home.

13. bruce1530

bruce1530 Über Member

The chain of Berni Inns were owned by comedians Mike and Bernie Winters.

NorthernDave and classic33 like this.
  14. bruce1530

bruce1530 Über Member

Contrary to popular belief, Mike and Bernie Winters were not really brothers. They were actually husband and wife.

Mike first met Bernadette on the northern working mans club circuit, where he had been a comedian and she was part of a singing girl group with her sisters.

classic33 and Dave7 like this.
  15. Dave7

Dave7 Guru

With the Krankies it is the opposite. They pretend to be husband and wife when, in fact, they are brothers. The little one used to be 6 foot tall until he got caught in a revolving door. That caused him to become moody (or cranky) and with a slight change the name stuck.

classic33 and NorthernDave like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice