Odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
Naan bread was invented in India in the 16th Century but not as a food. It was theoretically a cheap footwear. They quickly realised it was not suitable but as they had already made 3000 tons of it they had to quickly find another use. Someone developed curry and the problem was solved.

I thought nan bread was invented by my granny. Just goes to show she was good at spinning a yarn.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Naan bread was invented in India in the 16th Century but not as a food. It was theoretically a cheap footwear. They quickly realised it was not suitable but as they had already made 3000 tons of it they had to quickly find another use. Someone developed curry and the problem was solved.

Bit like when synthetic soles were developed for British footwear in the 70s, there were a lot of leather soles no longer required but luckily 'Berni Inns' were invented and took all the unwanted stock.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
VO2 Max is measured as the maximum rate at which you can deliver oxygen to your working muscles. The world record for a human is about 97 litres per minute per kg of weight in a Norwegian cross country skier. Sedentary adults have a figure between 15-30 litres per minute per kg of body weight. A bumble bee in comparison can work at a rate of about 6,000 litres per minute per kg of weight.

colly

Re member eR
In the 60s Berni inns did a deal with Jamie Olivers grandad who ran all school dinners at the time. They bought all the left over semolina, tapioca and chocolate pudding. They mashed it all together and put cherries on top....and Black Forrest Gateaux was created.
I reckon that's a load of bollaux

classic33

Leg End Member
In Red Dwarf "Better Than Life", Holly notes that even though loneliness weighs heavily on us all, "Personally, the only thing that keeps me going is the thought that we are over 60 billion miles away from the nearest Berni Inn."

classic33

Leg End Member
For the Duson, of Borneo, the Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher is considered such a bad omen. A warrior who see's one on their way to a battle, will return home.

bruce1530

Guru
Contrary to popular belief, Mike and Bernie Winters were not really brothers. They were actually husband and wife.

Mike first met Bernadette on the northern working mans club circuit, where he had been a comedian and she was part of a singing girl group with her sisters.

Dave7

Legendary Member
With the Krankies it is the opposite. They pretend to be husband and wife when, in fact, they are brothers. The little one used to be 6 foot tall until he got caught in a revolving door. That caused him to become moody (or cranky) and with a slight change the name stuck.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Archaeologysts have recently discovered remains of an ancient African tribe that were different in several ways.
The main difference was that all the males had 2 backsides.
After translating the writings found in the dig it appears that although the double backside had certain advantages it also had major problems as, when they needed a poo they never knew which backside was going to operate and sometimes they would unfortunately both operate together.
The writings went on to describe the decor of the latrines but translation of this section has, so far, not been possible.

Top Bottom