Odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Spam was invented in 1937 by Jay Hormel, who was looking for a way to sell the underused shoulder portions of hogs.

But his product was just one of many spiced ham products on the market. When Hormel's product started losing market share to other meatpackers, he decided to distinguish his brand.

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Ablaut Reduplication:

Strange language protocol which dictates that in any duplicating word combination the 'I' sound or the 'e' sound is always first before an 'a' or 'o' sound.

Thus, you cannot have:

Zag zig

Kat kit

Dally dilly

Saw see

Chat chit

Song sing

Etc

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ablaut Reduplication:

Strange language protocol which dictates that in any duplicating word combination the 'I' sound or the 'e' sound is always first before an 'a' or 'o' sound.

Thus, you cannot have:

Zag zig

Kat kit

Dally dilly

Saw see

Chat chit

Song sing

Etc
What about Pong Ping, the game of trumping in an elevator then sending it to the ground floor, great fun in the 600+ flat Tower block I once lived in.

Drago

Legendary Member
Water was invented by the Welsh prime minister, Julius Hitler, as a cheap and plentiful substitute for gravy.

classic33

Leg End Member
Romanian librarian Avram Iancu, who last year swam across the English Channel without a neoprene suit, has managed yet another great performance: he managed to swim 2,800 km along the River Danube without thermal protection. He thus became the first person in the world to complete this swimming race without a neoprene suit or other aid items.

Top Bottom