Odd Family Members

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Flying_Monkey said:
My grandmother (whose funeral it was that provided the inspiration for this thread) was a spiritualist, but one whom came from a partly Jewish family. Parents are very C of E, but the kids, well, I'm a Buddhist, my sister is a New Ager, and my brother... well, who knows?

Like you, I'm also the first really university-educated member of my family, and certainly the first academic. Most of the others are very bright but either didn't get the opportunities because of being poor, or were unlucky or just too flakey.

Who was your famous golfer, by the way? My great great great uncle was the Open Champion in 1908 - John Ball of Hoylake. There are lots of semi pro golfers in the US end of our family, but most of them are at death's door. My great grandparents used to run a golf links.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Let's start with the only grandmother I knew - the maternal one. She had two children - Uncle Jim and Mum. Her first husband was killed in Liverpool in about 1908 - the front wheel of his bike got jammed in the tram tracks and was run over. She remarried during the Great War and her husband was killed on the Western Front three months before Mum was born. Rumour has it that there was another husband in between. In the early 20's she was housekeeper for a local farmer and in 1926, she heard that a widower in St Helens with 4 kids wanted a housekeeper and she was hired - that's how Mum met Dad.
Dad, in WWII, was torpedoed 4 times off North Africa and shot down over Sicily - not bad for someone in the army. On one occasion, after being torpedoed, he supported a man in the water for over 7 hours - both were in full battle kit.
His cousin, Peter, who I am named, after was captured during WWII and interned in a Polish POW camp but he managed to escape and it took him about 18 months to get to Sweden.
One of my brothers was the mayor of my hometown, his wife was also the mayor but it has a different spelling!
Can I ask posters - especially the younger ones - to talk to your parents and grandparents and get a rough family history/tree, so much easier when they are alive!
We did have nobilty in the family - Dad's brother, Uncle Jack and his wife Auntie Buff thought that they were so much better than the rest of us and were known as Lord Snooty and Lady Muck:biggrin:

ChrisKH

Guru
Flying_Monkey said:
My grandmother (whose funeral it was that provided the inspiration for this thread) was a spiritualist, but one whom came from a partly Jewish family. Parents are very C of E, but the kids, well, I'm a Buddhist, my sister is a New Ager, and my brother... well, who knows?

It's a small and not that unusual world. My wife in theory has Jewish blood as her mother is, but was brought up as a Catholic (father's influence/religion although I don't think he has ever been to Mass in the 28 years I've known him). Her grandfather (mother's Dad) was a medium, spoke in tongues, spoke to the dead, etc. Was well known in the East End Jewish community and known for his gift. My wife only remembers him from when she was very young and whenever he went off on one (trance, etc.) she was shepherded out of the room.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Kirstie said:
Who was your famous golfer, by the way? My great great great uncle was the Open Champion in 1908 - John Ball of Hoylake. There are lots of semi pro golfers in the US end of our family, but most of them are at death's door. My great grandparents used to run a golf links.

Is, rather than was. A certain fat Scotsman, currently doing surprisingly well in the World Matchplay... he's some kind of a cousin of my mother.

U

User482

Seems I'm the third person on this thread to be the first member of their family to go to uni. I suppose it's not that surprising if you're from a working class background.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
User482 said:
Seems I'm the third person on this thread to be the first member of their family to go to uni. I suppose it's not that surprising if you're from a working class background.

I'm the fourth then...and you cant get any more working class than my background

How many of us have parents that as they get older, they slowly drive us cuckoo with frustration?

U

User482

Gary Askwith said:
I'm the fourth then...and you cant get any more working class than my background

How many of us have parents that as they get older, they slowly drive us cuckoo with frustration?

Not yet, but my nan is driving my mum to distraction. No doubt my turn will come.

User482 said:

My parents and my uncles and aunts didn't to to university. I, my brother and all my cousins did.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Gary Askwith said:

I'm another. I think my Mum and Dad strove to become middle class, from working class backgrounds.

yello

Flying_Monkey said:
is everyone's family like this? In a way I hope so... but I'd also be interested if there are people with entirely 'normal', well-adjusted family members...

I think everyone's family is like this, yes. Skeletons, closets, that sort of thing. I reckon it's only when you get close to something that you see the detail. Families are no different... fortunately!

My brother was oddly obsessed with the notion that our family wasn't normal because we didn't communicate like he thought we ought... but he could tell us about that! I think it stemmed from a phone call he made to my other brother. Brother A phones brother B. B asks why. A says "because you're my brother" and wanted a chat. Brother B said "why, we not a ****ing Disney movie". Classic! If you knew them you'd know just how 'them' it is. And, somewhat ironically, family.

I've lived outside of my family for 25 years now so I don't have the close family relationship that many people have with their kith and kin... but they are all still there and I can see the dynamics of it all. Yep, they're curious too. Everyone of them, in their own way!

Top Bottom