Off for my first proper ride fixed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan_h

It was with much excitement that I picked up a 2011 Giant Bowery on Wednesday (the steel framed one). I rode it back from the bike shop on freewheel as that is how they had set it up. I flipped the wheel Wednesday evening and rode it fixed up and down the road a couple of times, seemed okay once I managed to pull away without falling over!

So this morning I am off for a couple of hours on it, oddly I am a bit nervous about riding it fixed, looking forward to it tho :thumbsup:

Have you left yet?

Have fun!

Caveats:

1. Until I rode fixed I was unaware that I stopped pedalling momentarily to look behind. This might unnerve you if you do it too. I no longer stop for a glance.

2. Similarly, I found I was in the habit of stopping pedalling for a second or so at the top of a hard climb. I have also stopped doing that.

3. You will have read much about slowing with your legs. You can and it's fun, but get into it slowly. Too much too soon will cause discomfort and wobbles.

4. I also used to stop pedalling to reach for my bidon or replace it. Careful of that one too!

5. I never had trouble with pedal strike (on front wheel or terra firma) but many others have done.

6. think about how your feet are attached to the pedals. I prefer clipless for fixed. Others do other things.

You will have a huge laugh riding fixed - and if you take to it, it will become a part of your cycling week. Enjoy it. but on those first few rides do look out for moments when it will try to bite you.

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
1. Until I rode fixed I was unaware that I stopped pedaling momentarily to look behind. This might unnerve you if you do it too. I no longer stop for a glance.

You only do this once, trust me :whistle::tongue: I nearly ripped my freakin' knees out when I did it.......................

but I never did it again :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Dan_h

Dan_h

I have not left yet, so thanks for all the advice guys! I know I stop pedalling to reach for bidons, but had not thought of the looking behind part, I could not tell you if I do that or not. I think I will be taking it easy and not worrying about speed or distance today!

OP
OP
Dan_h

Dan_h

First fixed ride completed, Rode 34 miles around the Chilterns without being able to change gear or freewheel. That was interesting, generally it was great but I found that adjusting position on the bike going downhill is a bit of a challenge, climbing felt the same as my singlespeed, cruising on the flat felt very smooth and amazingly quiet!

I am now sitting here aching in unusual places, but will definitely be riding fixed this summer!

Excellent result!

34 miles is good going for a first ride fixed.

My main recollection is of my thumbs and fingers aimlessly flicking around where the Ergo levers ought to have been

I don't do that these days, but it took quite a few rides.

Congrats again.

OP
OP
Dan_h

Dan_h

Thanks BB,

You were right about replacing bidons without freewheeling, i kept whacking my arm with my knee!

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Have you left yet?

Have fun!

Caveats:

1. Until I rode fixed I was unaware that I stopped pedalling momentarily to look behind. This might unnerve you if you do it too. I no longer stop for a glance.

2. Similarly, I found I was in the habit of stopping pedalling for a second or so at the top of a hard climb. I have also stopped doing that.

3. You will have read much about slowing with your legs. You can and it's fun, but get into it slowly. Too much too soon will cause discomfort and wobbles.

4. I also used to stop pedalling to reach for my bidon or replace it. Careful of that one too!

5. I never had trouble with pedal strike (on front wheel or terra firma) but many others have done.

6. think about how your feet are attached to the pedals. I prefer clipless for fixed. Others do other things.

You will have a huge laugh riding fixed - and if you take to it, it will become a part of your cycling week. Enjoy it. but on those first few rides do look out for moments when it will try to bite you.

I discovered that I momentarily stopped pedaling to fart - I've stopped doing that.

Top Bottom