Oh my god Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nearly there

Veteran
Ive just had the worst customer service ever yesterday looking around on the internet for a 12-26 cassette halfords popped up at £29.99 so checking my local store 9 miles away it said it was in stock however halfords had a 20%off web orders thing on so I ordered online to save money for sat pick up,so today I went to the store and spoke to the mechanic and told him I was there to pick up an order at which he said"Theres nothing here ill check in the back"so away he went came back and said he couldnt find it,he then asked for my order no.then input it into the computer at which it came up he said"oh im sorry but this says it hasnt been dispatched yet"I said but I got my comfirmation email yesterday to say it would be available from noon today,He said "ill go see if we have them already in stock"so again away he went came back and said"Im sorry we dont have any in stock"so i told him well the web site says different but anyway this isnt good enough so ill have a refund so he said "ill go get a manager as i cant authorise refunds"so away he went again came back and said"Ive been told by the manager that because it was a web order your refund will have to be done online Ive just told someone about your order and was told they knew it wasnt instore so i said well why didnt you phone the customer and tell them it wasnt to save a journey"Now im getting pissed off as ive aready been hanging around for 15 minutes,so the mechanic goes off to carry on wrecking bikes;) so im stood there like an idiot for what seems like ages and still no one then the mechanic returns to me and says"Has anyone been to see you yet"I said no and im getting annoyed so i say can i see the manager so away he goes and disappears for 5 minutes then returns and tells me the manager is on his LUNCH and he has to get someone else,I couldnt believe what I was hearing the mechanic even apologised and was embarrassed by how i was being treated so away he went again to get someone else he returned and said"theyll be along in a minute to do your refund" so again im left standing there like an idiot for 10 minutes telling everyone in ear shot how shoot the service is there.Eventually a woman appears and walked to the till and never looked up at me or acknowledge me until she said" can you place your card in the machine"Still no eye contact or apology then she said "can you sign to say the amount youve been refunded is correct"then i got a slurred "sorry for the wait"I said the service was appalling and will be sending an email of complaint about how ive been treated in this store today and will not be returning.

OP
OP
Nearly there

Nearly there

Veteran
Can i just add this whole episode lasted 40 minutes in total

potsy

Rambler
Jesus wept - have you heard of punctuation and grammar. Stopped reading after row 2.
^_^
I think it was written as a non-stop rant :laugh:

My only experience with the Halfords on-line service ended in a similarly disappointing way, item wasn't there despite an e-mail saying it was, the 'mechanic' told me the web service was "rubbish" and not to bother with it :unsure:

HovR

Über Member
Probably but I was on a rant :blush:

That was actually aimed at 400bhp, but I suppose it works both ways. :thumbsup:

My experience with Halford's has generally been pretty good, but then again, the most I have asked from them is to show me where the mech hangers are!

OP
OP
Nearly there

Nearly there

Veteran
Well what this episode shows to me is anyone wanting advice...anyone wanting good bike service there is only one place to go...the local LBS...and I've had recent reason to say again...support your local bike shop...:thumbsup:
I went there first but they didnt have my size and would have to order in so me being an impatient git thinking my new wheelset would arrive today took what now was the wrong option,on a brighter note my other wheels have just arrived with cassette already on and theyve sent a different set to what originally came on the bike but they seem better quality imo.

Thomk

Guru
Most of the customer service you received at the store seemed to be pretty good i.e. the mechanic trying his best to sort out your problem.

Reactions: gaz

HovR

Über Member
anyone wanting good bike service there is only one place to go...the local LBS...and I've had recent reason to say again...support your local bike shop...:thumbsup:

For when I want to buy parts here and now, I'd usually pop down to Halfords as it is the most convenient - However today on my quest for bike lubricants I popped down to my closest LBS, and the conversation went something like this:

"Hi, do you have any Finish Line Dry in stock?"
"No, sorry, we don't stock that."
"Oh.. Do you have any other dry lubes?"
"Nope, sorry - All we have is GT85"

So much for trying to support the LBS if they don't even stock essentials like lubricants! Ended up going to another bike shop in town that appeared much better stocked, so I think I might be going there more often.

Top Bottom