Oh no, not another "which bike should I buy" thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LizardEye

No, I'm not expecting anyone to make a decision for me, but I'd really appreciate some opinions.

After 8 years on a MTB I'm after something a bit faster for commuting and weekend rides out. I'm no spring chicken and so don't need anything superfast but am still struggling to decide.

My short list is - Spesh Allez, Spesh Secteur, something by Merida or a Giant Defy.

I'm favouring the Secteur over the Allez for the more relaxed frame but begrudge the apparently lower spec of the Secteur. Have heard good things bout the Merida but they're a bit of an unknown quantity. And my LBS currently has 15% off Giant so could get a Defy 3 for roughly the same price as the others.

So is Specialized more than just a name, and would the extra for a Secteur be worth it? And would the Defy 3 blow the rest away for the price?

Many thanks in advance

Willo

Others will have more experience /knowledge, but in a similar situation to you I looked around last autumn for a road bike after dragging an old, cheap and heavy MTB bike around for a few years.

I fancied the Secteur for the idea of a more relaxed geometry, but the suppliers used by Halfords under the Cycle to Work scheme couldn't commit to when they could get me one. Therefore, I took an Allez for a test run and immediately found it comfortable for me. After 4 months or so I'm still pleased with it - a pleasure to ride and not the shock of converting to a road bike that I expected.

Stating the obvious, I'd strongly recommend sitting on a few and take them for a ride if the shop allows. My local shop felt a Trek 1.2 would give me a more relaxed fit than the Allez, but I found the total opposite. Have heard very good feedback on the Giant Defy series.

Enjoy whatever you choose - I've really enjoyed the conversion to a road bike.

Norm

In your situation, I chose the Secteur. The more comfortable set up worked better for me, although the Defy is rather nice.

However, what sort of riding are you thinking of doing? What sort of roads? Long distance or shorter sprints? How far is your commute?

OP
OP
L

LizardEye

The commute's only about 7 miles each way although it will be going up to 12 soon. I usually do 40-50 miles on a weekend and have signed up for a couple of 100 rides over the summer. You may be right about the secteur but the Defy looks SO good!

Top Bottom