Old v/s Modern bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My carbon bike is noisy because the big hollow "tubes" amplify cable slap and any other mechanical noise. It's a bit like the soundbox of a guitar.
well I've learned something.

And for all I know the riders' testicles may drum a beat though the frame.

will be sticking to my discreet steel.

KneesUp

Guru
The highlight of any commute for me is keeping up with or passing someone on a more modern / more expensive / lighter bike than mine. If they are younger than me, even better.

As I am quite old, and my bike is a 1989 rigid mountain bike with drop bars and slicks, for which I paid less than £40 on eBay, this is essentially any other cyclist.

I prefer my old Cannondale to newish carbon Ghost as its a great all-rounder. Had it well over 20 yrs now and no way i would ever sell...may well get rid of Ghost soon though as don't use much, anyone know what i could get fot it? Its 2016 Nivolet tour LC 3 Ultegra with Ksyrium discs.
15440169856381022304742.jpg

12boy

Guru
Steel chainrings last longer than aluminum. I have an 80s Holdsworth, a Surly Steamroller and a Brompton which are heavy compared to carbon or aluminum bikes and have fairly heavy components too. They all fit perfectly and everything works like it should. I enjoy them all. When I find a hill or headwind tough going my thought is not the bike is too heavy but rather I need to be fitter. I also have a couple of aluminum mountain bikes and an aluminum folder and they work very well too, but the steel bikes are my first choice. They seem less l;ike riding and more like wearing old comfortable clothes.

The highlight of any commute for me is keeping up with or passing someone on a more modern / more expensive / lighter bike than mine. If they are younger than me, even better.

As I am quite old, and my bike is a 1989 rigid mountain bike with drop bars and slicks, for which I paid less than £40 on eBay, this is essentially any other cyclist.

I love letting slow old riders on heavy bikes pass me when I'm out on my expensive modern bike

Putting a smile on their little strained faces just gives me a nice feeling that I've made their day a bit better.

Steel rings will last longer than alu ones. However, chainring replacement due to wear is a non issue for most people as they last for years.
Thanks for confirming my idea.

In that case, steel chainrings seem better to me. Can't think of any downsides.

Replacing them can be a fag. Had to replace one on a pretty new chainset a while ago. Took me quite a while to figure out where the slipping was coming from, ie: not from the back.

I also have a bike with a single chainring paired with a 7 speed rear mech and 3 speed hub gear. That is shot. Could do without the hassle of replacing it.

Maybe you don't do many miles.

Last edited:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I just find my bikes in skips along with any clothes and stuff i can find . Dont listen to the lycra clad lot with their expensive carbon bikes they just want to buy new things rather than hunt around in skips and maybe smell a bit of wee and stuff . Ive been smelling of wee and finding bikes in skips for years and i can still nearly go as fast as the lycra clad lot without spending all that money .

I just find my bikes in skips along with any clothes and stuff i can find . Dont listen to the lycra clad lot with their expensive carbon bikes they just want to buy new things rather than hunt around in skips and maybe smell a bit of wee and stuff . Ive been smelling of wee and finding bikes in skips for years and i can still nearly go as fast as the lycra clad lot without spending all that money .
Tsk tsk

By the by I use a fair bit of lycra and still value old sensible stuff.

I fear your self imagined biting satire machine needs a bit of tuning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom