On verge of leaving cycle club.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Dr Google tells us those with Asperger's face difficulty with social interaction.

However, the OP says this guy 'often joins in' already, so that difficulty doesn't appear to be relevant.

Or if there were any joining in difficulties, he's already overcome them.
It might not be quite as simple as that. Having performed a social interaction the once does not necessarily remove the anxiety of performing it a second time.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It seems to me unlikely the others targeted the guy because he has Asperger's.

But, as paying members, they might reasonably want to kick back at those availing themselves of club benefits without putting anything into the kitty.
just looked it up £140 a year for BC affiliation along with the uncounted hours spent (unpaid of course ) by various ride leaders and club secretaries etc sorting stuff out .
In this case given the situation i think they need to get their head out of their holes but i can see your reasoning

Milzy

Guru
Really upset about an incident this morning. Theres a few non club members cycle alongside us quite often and a few even are in the club chat rooms.

One cyclist has aspergers and often joins in, i asked on club chat could i add him (out of politeness) so he could find out when cyclists are meeting etc, had no objections and even a reply saying no objection.

Tried to add him and found that my privilege for adding members had been removed, Then i posted asking that he be added and then the fun started had a few rude replies.

Know theres a few idiots in all walks of life but for a cycling club committee member and a few other actually go out of there way to stop another cyclist because he has a disability of any kind to me seems absolutely rotten and know when i next see the guys involved i will be having words.
We have a young lad from another local club who comes with ours sometimes. He’s autistic but tries his best. He has made his own landscape gardening business & has contracts with Harrogate council. Bought himself an F12 recently & is raking in the money well. Nobody would ever be so low to take the mick, he’s liked by many.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Is Aspergers actually a disability? Really? I have a personal interest in this one given that I have 2 nephews who have been diagnosed with it. You wouldn't know in either case.

Having done some research into it, I would consider it to be a personality trait, rather than a "disability". Do we really need to label people who are not programmed the same way as "normal" (whatever that might be) with some sort of disability?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You don't need to be in a club.
You don't have to be in a club.
But you might want to be.

I was for years and loved the bond of a shared interest with like minded people, the organised events and the technical and riding tips that were readily available. If it's not for you then so be it, but don't knock those who are.

winjim

Smash the cistern
He’s autistic but tries his best.
Bless.
Is Aspergers actually a disability? Really? I have a personal interest in this one given that I have 2 nephews who have been diagnosed with it. You wouldn't know in either case.

Having done some research into it, I would consider it to be a personality trait, rather than a "disability". Do we really need to label people who are not programmed the same way as "normal" (whatever that might be) with some sort of disability?
It's a personal thing. Some consider it a disability, some don't. Some suggest that the way that society is arranged around neurotypical needs and preferences is what makes it a disability since it is difficult to fit in. A majority autistic society might view the non-autistic as disabled.

As a sort of related issue, 'you wouldn't know' that a great many people are autistic. Part of the reason for that could be that they are spending a great deal of energy, perhaps unconciously, masking and trying to fit in and appear normal, which can itself be exhausting and therefore quite disabling.

Last edited:

Dwn

It’s formally classed as a disability, in part for the additional support that families can receive - although there is a spectrum of how severe the condition can be, and not all people concerned would be identified in that way. As the grandparent of a child who has been diagnosed with this, it’s encouraging to see greater awareness from the general public and organisations.

Without knowing the specific details from the OP, it does sound like some of the people concerned have acted like d*cks, but that may be through ignorance rather than malice. The truth is that many people just aren’t aware of neurodiverse conditions or perhaps don’t know enough to respond properly.

dodgy

Clubs are great, until one day someone turns up with a clipboard. Then the meetings start, then it's all over.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
3rd eldest grandaughter is autistic and she is fantastic, she has no 'filters' when talking to people.................if Georgia thinks you are a 'peanut' then she'll tell you so, I've lost count of the number of people she's told to "feck off' (normally blokes trying to 'chat her up in pubs)
Luckily she likes me. :becool:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It might not be quite as simple as that. Having performed a social interaction the once does not necessarily remove the anxiety of performing it a second time.

We are told the guy joins in 'often', thus he has got over any anxiety of joining in many times.

Thus anxiety/Asperger's does not appear to be a relevant feature in this case.

We are told the guy joins in 'often', thus he has got over any anxiety of joining in many times.

It's amazing the assumptions people make about someone based on a few posts in an internet forum. He may well have to overcome feelings of anxiety every time he joins a ride, but that doesn't necessarily mean he has "got over it".

I thought this thread was about possibly unpleasant attitudes of some people in cycling clubs rather than a debate about one person's autism.

It's amazing the assumptions people make about someone based on a few posts in an internet forum. He may well have to overcome feelings of anxiety every time he joins a ride, but that doesn't necessarily mean he has "got over it".

I thought this thread was about possibly unpleasant attitudes of some people in cycling clubs rather than a debate about one person's autism.

I agree, we don't have enough information to judge this person's situation. But we don't have enough information to judge the fellow club members' behaviour, either.

winjim

Smash the cistern

Without knowing the guy we can't say. It could well be that access to the club chat forum would be a useful tool to help him overcome the anxiety and give him the confidence to join in. Maybe.

You'd hope that if they don't want that to happen outside full membership then rather than shut him out they would encourage him to join the club properly...

pawl

Legendary Member
Offensive to whom? You're not even commenting from the family of such a person! What ill intent is implied or inferred by this apparently horrendous 5-letter term.

The person I have had most discussions with about Aspergers cheerfully refers to herself - and others - as Aspy. These are just words; like you can call me Matty if you want x. Or bikey.

Jeez, this thread escalated quickly ...

My nine year granddaughter has Aspergers and is highly intelligent she does have some difficulty forming relationships but given time and encouragement eventually developed a close bond

As regarding abbreviation I personally don’t like them particularly when referring to some form of what is seen as a disability is to me and parents is offensive Just use the correct terminology We have all seen the offensive abbreviations to describe people of different colour or race or religion

winjim

Smash the cistern
My nine year granddaughter has Aspergers and is highly intelligent she does have some difficulty forming relationships but given time and encouragement eventually developed a close bond

As regarding abbreviation I personally don’t like them particularly when referring to some form of what is seen as a disability is to me and parents is offensive Just use the correct terminology We have all seen the offensive abbreviations to describe people of different colour or race or religion
The 'correct terminology' is autism spectrum disorder. But... parents or grandparents of autistic people do not get to decide how actually autistic people refer to themselves. I'm sure that your granddaughter is or will be able to decide how she wishes to refer to herself.

In case anyone isn't aware, the legacy of Hans Asperger is problematic due to his links with Nazi eugenics. Many autistic people do not wish to be associated with his name. OTOH, many do not have a problem and refer to themselves as having Asperger's or as Aspies. Also Autistics, Austists or Auties. It's their choice.

Top Bottom