One for baldies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danphoto

Does anybody know of any anti-sunburn stuff I can put on my head which doesn't emulsify and look yukky as soon as I start sweating?

zexel

Veteran
Hi mate

Having shaved my head for years I know my head is like a sun magnet.

I use something called 'P20', its ideal. I used it in Dubai too, once a day application (15mins before going out in sun) and thats it.

"One comprehensive covering of Riemann P20 Sunfilter before exposure gives effective day long protection which is waterproof and sweatproof. Oil based alternatives end up being wiped off the highly vulnerable nose and forehead at the start of sweating because nobody wants washable sunblock in their eyes. P20 is the only effective sunblocks for sports or water use."

Definitley recommend.

ASC1951

Guru
On the bike I use a Buff done in what they call 'pirate' - the sweat wicks to the back of your neck and evaporates off the knot. Keeps your head cooler than
a waterproof sunblock if you are exercising.

Cycling cap. Keeps sun off head, small peak (which can be turned up) reduces sun on face & keeps most of the rain out of your eyes, soaks up the sweat, can be worn on it's own or under helmet.

ASC1951

Guru
A Buff leaves your nose exposed, a cap doesn't cover your ears or the back of your neck. In very sunny places you can get burned even through clothes, so you might still need some SPF.

I can't say I find emulsifying or yukkiness a problem on the bike. I use Boots own brand Soltan at SPF 50 level. The trick is to put it on dry skin before you set off and that will then last all day, with a cap/Buff on your noddle around midday if it's Nice rather than Norwich.

Maizie

Guru
You can get suncreams that are designed for the face, rather than just general use. They're supposed to be kinder to skin, etc. But I wonder if they are also less likely to go gloopy? It certainly doesn't feel so icky on application, nor does it smell quite so much, in my experience (Boots Soltan factor 50 face vs Boots Soltan factor 50 'normal stuff').

Jonathan M

On a trip to the states I stocked up once on some stuff that Hawaiian Tropic make, which is "lifeguard" spec, single application Factor 15 or 30, but really, really, water resistant. Can't get it over here and online places won't ship to UK as it is "pharmacetical". Did get some Ambre Solaire sports stuff in france but it wasn't half as good in terms of sweat/water resistance.

I'm a bit thin on top but find that with a helmet the constantly changing position of the sun means I don't need to apply suncream to my scalp. I do if I am just out & about off the bike (or wear a cap).

Keith Oates

Janner
I wear a helmet most of the time and find this is enough to stop burning of the top of the head, although there are some light brown stripes at times. If I'm without a helmet or out walking in the tropical su, a hat is the only solution I find that works really well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

adscrim

Veteran
zexel said:
I use something called 'P20', its ideal. I used it in Dubai too, once a day application (15mins before going out in sun) and thats it.
Definitley recommend.

+1 with a caveat

I've not used this for a couple of years - through not being anywhere sunny enough :biggrin: - but had a couple of great holidays before kids, without burning after a single application (including a day at a waterpark and a day water skiiing)

The warning is about sweat - it turned mine yellow which resulted in stained white T-shirt, a pair of white board short that looked like I'd had some accidents in and a towel that looked like the Turin Shroud. All the staining washed out but it was quite embarrassing.

I have no idea if they've changed the formula but I suspect they may have done, given it required 1.5hr application prior to exposure when I used it.

That said, I would use again. Just not while wearing white.

Top Bottom