One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Both floor pans have been done, along with heater channels & front inner wings, it appears very solid, needs some paint on the bonnet & roof, may have to do a full respray. Engine seems good, hadn't been started for over 18 months, put some new fuel in connected battery & away it went, well apart from a fuel hose that had perished & sprayed fuel all over the engine.

Gunk

Guru

Nice, looks like a 1300. I had an identical car back in 1982 when I was 17.

D

Deleted member 26715

Nice, looks like a 1300. I had an identical car back in 1982 when I was 17.
It's got a 1600 fitted not had chance to see if it's original yet, has disc brakes on the front as well, again not sure if they are standard, it's still on the back of the truck it was dark when I got back. I'd also delivered the buggy in my avatar to it's new owner & done 10 hours behind the wheel so when I got home I'd had enough :laugh:

Gunk

Guru
Should be a 1300 twin port. I’m surprised it had survived, the early ‘70’s we’re not a high point for Beetle build quality, most crumbled away.

gbb

Legendary Member
Should be a 1300 twin port. I’m surprised it had survived, the early ‘70’s we’re not a high point for Beetle build quality, most crumbled away.
I can only vouch for one but a colleague had a K or maybe L reg one too, so 1971, 1972 ?, the rust on it was ...very extensive, bearing in mind that was in 1977. Not much life left in it after only 5 or 6 years use.

Gunk

Guru
The 1600 twin port was introduced for the “big Beetle” the 1302s and 1303s. Yours would have been a 1300. But all the engines are all interchangeable (with some minor clutch mods) I had a 1965 single port 1300 running in my 1972 1300 after the old engine let go. So most by now have been swapped.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You could stick a Porsche 356 motor in the Beetle, same floor pan or even take it out to 'Variant' spec (1800) I think 2.2 is about the max that the block will take but then you're into mega money to keep reliability (Carillo rods etc)

Drago

Legendary Member
Aye, when I was in my teens I once saw a beetle parked up with a Porschewagen badge. Me and my spotty mates were eying it up when the owner returned, and he was happy to show is the early 912E motor in there.

Top Bottom