Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robgul

Legendary Member
Oh, how I recall Carnation Condenced Milk. Ultra sticky and sweet. Camp coffee with Carnation milk! You had to be Scottish to like it.

Ah - Nestle condensed milk was better - or there was a cheaper and slightly thinner version called Fussells - back in the late '50s early 60s

As an aside I carry a tube of condensed milk on longer rides (visualise a toothpaste tube with condensed milk in it) - for an instant sugar boost if tired - quick suck on the tube, refit the cap ready for next time.

Rob

NickWi

Guru
As a kid I used to be given condensed milk sandwiches! Thick bread, loads of butter and condensed milk dripping out of the side. Then yummy, now my Doctor would be having checking my blood sugar levels weekly.

On a slightly different note, my grandfather, (who was of the White British in India generation) always used to make his tea in a saucepan with condensed milk. Apparently, it was an Indian or more likely British Raj thing to do. And no, I don't recall trying it.

Storck

As a kid I used to be given condensed milk sandwiches! Thick bread, loads of butter and condensed milk dripping out of the side. Then yummy, now my Doctor would be having checking my blood sugar levels weekly.

On a slightly different note, my grandfather, (who was of the White British in India generation) always used to make his tea in a saucepan with condensed milk. Apparently, it was an Indian or more likely British Raj thing to do. And no, I don't recall trying it.

British Raj, milk just would not keep. My grandfather too was for many years stationed out there. He couldn't stand to even look at a tin of condensed milk, once back in Blighty.

Solom01

Excuse me in advance for asking a really dumb question, but since I had to order my Gain by mail order (there are no local dealers here) does anyone know how involved the assembly is? Will I need any non-standard tools, or is it basically just installing the front wheel, the seat post and saddle, pedals and the handlebars? Most other companies show assembly on their site or youtube, but I couldn't find anything on the Gain. This is just a lower end model, the Gain F30 if that makes any difference. Thanks, I appreciate it.

Storck

Excuse me in advance for asking a really dumb question, but since I had to order my Gain by mail order (there are no local dealers here) does anyone know how involved the assembly is? Will I need any non-standard tools, or is it basically just installing the front wheel, the seat post and saddle, pedals and the handlebars? Most other companies show assembly on their site or youtube, but I couldn't find anything on the Gain. This is just a lower end model, the Gain F30 if that makes any difference. Thanks, I appreciate it.

I've been in LBS, when they turn up. No not much to it at all. One concern though? The dealer has to deristrict the 50 mile limit on the bike and also register it with Orbea using the "Dealer App" How will this be taken care of?

Solom01

Thanks, that's a relief. If the bike shop has it in restricted mode I'll have to call them and see how to turn it off, although hopefully they did that before shipping it As for registering it you can do it on the Orbea site using the bike's serial number on the downtube. At least that's what I think will happen, if there are any problems I'll let you guys know. I would have purchased it from a local store, I didn't save money buying it on the internet, but the closest dealer selling the Gain was hundreds of miles away, so my choices were limited.

NickWi

Guru
My Gain came mail order and was it really was as a straightforward job of fitting and adjusting what you said. No special tools required. I also went over the bike to check the tightness of every single nut, bolt & screw I could find, plus checks on the bearings, headset, brakes etcs and look for any knocks, faults or damage. This wasn't because I didn't trust the online dealer to have done the PDI, it's just that it'd be my ass bouncing down the road should something critical have failed.

As for desrestricting the 50mile range, it must have been done by the dealer as I didn't even know such a thing existed until well after I'd bought it. Registering, if I remember rightly you could do it by either using the barcode sticker on the bike and scanner app on your phone, or manually entering the frame number online.

All in, my bike arrived in good condition, assembled easily and as I can't really remember the registering process, it must have been hassle free.

shingwell

It stops working after 50 miles unless you do as they tell you? :eek: That sort of attitude to customers would be enough to stop me buying one. Giving your mame and address for product guarantee purposes is one thing, but that is my choice, building in something that stops the product working after I have bought it unless I bought it from particular dealers I would have thought is borderline illegal these days for market manipulation type reasons. Thanks for the warning!

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
It stops working after 50 miles unless you do as they tell you? :eek: That sort of attitude to customers would be enough to stop me buying one. Giving your mame and address for product guarantee purposes is one thing, but that is my choice, building in something that stops the product working after I have bought it unless I bought it from particular dealers I would have thought is borderline illegal these days for market manipulation type reasons. Thanks for the warning!
I assume this is a security measure to prevent theft.

Scaleyback

Veteran

“borderline illegal” and “market manipulation” That seems a bit of a ‘knee jerk’ reaction. Guilty until proven innocent is a pretty sad approach. I purchased mine from a dealer and was well aware the dealer would “derestrict” the bike. I understand Orbea are ensuring the bike gets the correct pre-delivery checks.

Scaleyback

Veteran
As a follow up to the above, if you buy photographic equipment from Nikon, Sony etc etc in the UK from a non-approved dealer (know as ‘grey market’) the equipment will not be covered by the relevant manufacturers UK warranty. Is this borderline illegal and market manipulation ?

shingwell

As a follow up to the above, if you buy photographic equipment from Nikon, Sony etc etc in the UK from a non-approved dealer (know as ‘grey market’) the equipment will not be covered by the relevant manufacturers UK warranty. Is this borderline illegal and market manipulation ?
No, that is exactly my point. Your Sony camera etc that you have purchased will not deliberately stop functioning after 50 pictures. Your choice of where to buy. So-called "grey imports" are perfectly legal, it is part of a free market, if it were otherwise it would be akin to price-fixing, which is not legal.

Solom01

Hi guys, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to start an argument. I'm assuming laws are different in the US, Canada and the EU so since there are members here from multiple countries maybe we're all right/wrong depending on where we're located? Anyhow, I talked to the company I mail ordered it from and they said that they unlock them prior to shipment.....so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and won't worry about it unless it comes in in restricted mode. Thank you all, I never had a clue about the dealer app/restricted mode and appreciate you letting me know.

shingwell

With that I am going to bow out of this conversation. I never intended to start a flame war, and I appologise if I got some peoples' backs up. I was just a bit shocked that such potentially dodgy practices are going on in the e-bike world (I'm not saying anything dodgy is going on, just that it has the potential, through lack of transparancy. I have not bought an Orbea Gain; maybe it is all transparent and you get an itemised bill showing how much of your purchase price went to the dealer to de-restrict it.)

So, as you were...

Scaleyback

Veteran
‘shingwell’ You started your 1st post on this subject thus:- “ it stops working after 50 miles unless you do as they tell you “
This is a provocative statement, where are you getting this information from ?
All Gain’s can only be purchased originally via an Orbea dealer. If you buy one on ebay or wherever it has still come via an Orbea dealer. ‘NickWi’ who purchased his via mail order said “it must have been done by the dealer”
You seem to me to be ‘bad mouthing’ Orbea based on an ill formed opinion.

Top Bottom