Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Look out for the gusting wind today Scaley.

I have to collect by car Storck, After the terrible flooding and damage to the road infrastructure around here, See here:-
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-en...08l9Rs-rhqiRwEAOezbSE8wCZIy_HkuaSAGovZXvwHLmc

My bike is in the Dales Bike centre in Grinton ! the main route is the B6270, shown in the video clip. So now we have a large detour over narrow high moor roads
that in the right conditions is a lovely arduous ride but not today with expected 40+ winds forecast.

Last edited:

Storck

I have to collect by car Storck, After the terrible flooding and damage to the road infrastructure around here, See here:-
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-en...08l9Rs-rhqiRwEAOezbSE8wCZIy_HkuaSAGovZXvwHLmc

My bike is in the Dales Bike centre in Grinton ! the main route is the B6270, shown in the video clip. So now we have a large detour over narrow high moor roads
that in the right conditions is a lovely arduous ride but not today with expected 40+ winds forecast.

I've decided to settle down and watch Hull City v Reading. Safe journey.

Southernguns

Well it does help if like me you have your own table. I actually have a dedicated snooker - bike room. Got a raised sitting area, own toilet and kitchen. All separate from the house. I often sleep in there. Don't have to put up with Emmerdale followed by East Enders then Coronation St. (did I get them in the correct viewing order?) Sanctuary doesn't begin to describe it. BTW played against one of your fellow South Westerners awhile ago? The pro Milkins (The Milkman) Was leading by a good few points, missed blue to middle, opened up remaining reds. He destroyed me then. Still I know I'm better then him on a bike.

Sounds like the perfect setup!! I will keeping dreaming :-D. Did Milkins he have The Wurzels playing in backgound? Snooker is impossibly hard. I tip my hat to anyone that can play to even a half decent standard. My highest break is something like 18 - shocking! I will stick to pool as at least I have some success with potting the balls and holding position.

Storck

Sounds like the perfect setup!! I will keeping dreaming :-D. Did Milkins he have The Wurzels playing in backgound? Snooker is impossibly hard. I tip my hat to anyone that can play to even a half decent standard. My highest break is something like 18 - shocking! I will stick to pool as at least I have some success with potting the balls and holding position.

"I am a cider drinker) Ha Ha, no played him at Northern Snooker Centre in Leeds. Was a pro-am event, managed to cover my expenses at least. Lovely man he is. Very delicate touch for such a big man, he can generate an awesome amount of cue power.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Well, I got my D30 Gain back on saturday. (It survived the Bike centre flooding)
Who would have thought getting two rear spokes replaced would take my bike off the road for close to a month ?

In the meantime I have ridden approx 350 miles on my non-assisted road bike. Getting back on the Gain two things are glaringly obvious ? the 16kg (on the road) weight (my other bike is 8.5kg OTR) and the sheer comfort of the 35c/38c tyres on the Gain. ^_^

My LBS (who I have known and trusted for years) was a little 'perturbed' by the build quality of the rear wheel with varying spoke tensions and damaged rim tape.

The aftersales support from Orbea has been appalling ! My LBS had to resort to getting custom made spokes and 'we' were unable to find out recommended
spoke tensions for the rear wheel.

To recap for 'our new readers' the rear spokes on the Gain are anything but standard. Much shorter due to the hub motor, and the drive side and non-drive side spokes are different lengths.

We tried everyone to find the relevant info. The original dealer, who I didn't take the bike to for warranty because they are 90 miles away. Orbea direct. who initially didn't reply, then after two week referred me back to my Orbea dealer and when I persisted finally said

" We don't have an exact measurement for the tension on these wheels as they are made and serviced by our suppliers who won't provide us with this information " :rolleyes:

I have somehow managed to remain remarkably sanguine throughout this, due in no small part to having an alternative bike to ride. If I had been ' off the road '
for a month I would have been spitting blood.

I still love my Gain but based on this experience, and what I read about Orbea aftersales from here and elsewhere I would now probably purchase the recent Boardman 8.9E https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2327-adv-8.9e.html. I have owned two Boardmans previously and they were great bikes and aftersales was very good.

Live and learn, as the saying goes.

Last edited:

Storck

Well, I got my D30 Gain back on saturday. (It survived the Bike centre flooding)
Who would have thought getting two rear spokes replaced would take my bike off the road for close to a month ?

In the meantime I have ridden approx 350 miles on my non-assisted road bike. Getting back on the Gain two things are glaringly obvious ? the 16kg (on the road) weight (my other bike is 8.5kg OTR) and the sheer comfort of the 35c/38c tyres on the Gain. ^_^

My LBS (who I have known and trusted for years) was a little 'perturbed' by the build quality of the rear wheel with varying spoke tensions and damaged rim tape.

The aftersales support from Orbea has been appalling ! My LBS had to resort to getting custom made spokes and 'we' were unable to find out recommended
spoke tensions for the rear wheel.

To recap for 'our new readers' the rear spokes on the Gain are anything but standard. Much shorter due to the hub motor, and the drive side and non-drive side spokes are different lengths.

We tried everyone to find the relevant info. The original dealer, who I didn't take the bike to for warranty because they are 90 miles away. Orbea direct. who initially didn't reply, then after two week referred me back to my Orbea dealer and when I persisted finally said

" We don't have an exact measurement for the tension on these wheels as they are made and serviced by our suppliers who won't provide us with this information " :rolleyes:

I have somehow managed to remain remarkably sanguine throughout this, due in no small part to having an alternative bike to ride. If I had been ' off the road '
for a month I would have been spitting blood.

I still love my Gain but based on this experience, and what I read about Orbea aftersales from here and elsewhere I would now probably purchase the recent Boardman 8.9E https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2327-adv-8.9e.html. I have owned two Boardmans previously and they were great bikes and
aftersales was very good.

Live and learn, as the saying goes.

Glad your back on the road, two things?

Do you have Magic wheels on? I always have found them very helpful.

Secondly, with your Boardmans, did you purchase from Halfords and have them service bikes?

Scaleyback

Veteran
Glad your back on the road, two things?

Do you have Magic wheels on? I always have found them very helpful.

Secondly, with your Boardmans, did you purchase from Halfords and have them service bikes?

Magic wheels ?

Yes, both my Boardmans were purchased from Halfords (10% discount for my British Cycling membership) and no, I did not
have them serviced there but by the same person who has just 'fettled' my Gain.

Storck

Magic wheels ?

Yes, both my Boardmans were purchased from Halfords (10% discount for my British Cycling membership) and no, I did not
have them serviced there but by the same person who has just 'fettled' my Gain.

Sorry spell check "Mavic"

Scaleyback

Veteran
Sorry spell check "Mavic"

No Storck, to the best of my knowledge the Mavic wheels are only on the 'M' range i.e carbon frames and they begin at the M30 @ £3,499.00.

The lower spec bikes have the Ready GR wheels ? I have seen it suggested they are made in China for Orbea hence the phrase " We don't have an exact measurement for the tension on these wheels as they are made and serviced by our suppliers who won't provide us with this information "

Chinese firms are apparently very secretive due to potential copying. :wacko:

Storck

No Storck, to the best of my knowledge the Mavic wheels are only on the 'M' range i.e carbon frames and they begin at the M30 @ £3,499.00.

The lower spec bikes have the Ready GR wheels ? I have seen it suggested they are made in China for Orbea hence the phrase " We don't have an exact measurement for the tension on these wheels as they are made and serviced by our suppliers who won't provide us with this information "

Chinese firms are apparently very secretive due to potential copying. :wacko:

Bloody hell, the Chinese are sentitive about copyright!!!!!!!!!!!

Southernguns

Getting back on the Gain two things are glaringly obvious ? the 16kg (on the road) weight (my other bike is 8.5kg OTR)
Even with the electric assist?

I sympathise with you Scaley - It has been a bit of a nightmare for you. It sounds like you have fallen out of love with the D30? I really fancied the Ribble CGR but you cannot get them for love nor money. They keep pushing the delivery date back, and back, and back a month at a time. It was an April delivery when I started looking in March. It is now a mid August delivery date. And the chances of getting one even then are slim as they will need to fulfil so many back orders first.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Southernguns’

My reference to the weight is more about the day to day handling of the bike than riding it ! My Gain is stored/locked on a ‘bike hanger’ mounted inside on the garage wall. Lifting it to head height is a good workout Plus mounting it on a bike rack for cleaning/maintenance etc.

Storck

Southernguns’

My reference to the weight is more about the day to day handling of the bike than riding it ! My Gain is stored/locked on a ‘bike hanger’ mounted inside on the garage wall. Lifting it to head height is a good workout Plus mounting it on a bike rack for cleaning/maintenance etc.

That's a weight workout in it self Scaley. Just can't get used to the difference compared to my "normal" bikes, when taking it out into the courtyard.

Last edited:

Scaleyback

Veteran
Even with the electric assist?

I sympathise with you Scaley - It has been a bit of a nightmare for you. It sounds like you have fallen out of love with the D30? .

Oops ! Sorry Southernguns, I forgot to answer this question you posed.
No, as I said in my post “ I still love my Gain “ but the poor aftersales service
convinces me Orbea do not deserve me as a customer. Therefore, I would not buy again. I would go elsewhere. How else do we ‘tell’ the OEM that they are failing ? Sure anyone/everyone makes mistakes but we have a breaking point.

Top Bottom