Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Southernguns

Oops ! Sorry Southernguns, I forgot to answer this question you posed.
No, as I said in my post “ I still love my Gain “ but the poor aftersales service
convinces me Orbea do not deserve me as a customer. Therefore, I would not buy again. I would go elsewhere. How else do we ‘tell’ the OEM that they are failing ? Sure anyone/everyone makes mistakes but we have a breaking point.
Yeah, I was beginning to feel the same, but then Orbea came up with a brand new frame - no questions asked. Most of the delays I experienced were with the LBS. Having said that, there are many reports online about Orbea's poor after sales service. I read many before I purchased which is why I went to a shop rather than buying online - that way I had a point of contact to return to. Had the Ribble been available or I had known about the Boardman then I probably would have gone with either of those. Fingers crossed that that is the end of our issues.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Had the Ribble been available or I had known about the Boardman then I probably would have gone with either of those

Well, the Boardman 8.9E has only recently been released of course.
I do like the concept of the Fazua Evation drive system with the clip in/out battery. Easier for charging and far less attractive to potential thieves if you have your battery with you in the cafe
There are downsides to the Boardman of course. It seems the Fazua system is about 1 kg heavier than the Orbea ebikemotion drive and I believe the downtube with battery is less ‘svelte’ than the Gain.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Collected my Gain exactly 1 year ago today. Almost 2000 miles - not as many as I'd hoped, but a lot more than I'd have ridden without it. It's performed exactly as I'd hoped. No problems - other than annoying punctures early on caused by the badly factory fitted rim tape. No broken spokes, as reported by Scaley and others, just one loose spoke on the front wheel, easily corrected. My biggest issues have been with the app ….. it's still not completely reliable, and was infuriating in the early days, and EBM customer services weren't helpful. The control through the Iwoc button could be improved too - having to scroll through higher assistance levels to get back to no or a lower level is not a satisfactory system. Otherwise - no complaints.
Would I buy another? I think so - probably carbon framed (not available when I ordered mine). I'd look at the Fazua powered bikes too, I'm very taken by the Cube. They do have the big advantage of battery/motor removal, which would allow me to carry the bike on top of a car - no way can I get my Gain on the Thule roof carrier! However as Scaley points out the system is heavier, and the Fazua bikes are generally heavier than the EBM ones. The wheelset can be changed easily too, as on an unassisted bike. I'd also look at the 'gravel' 1 x 11 variations that are appearing.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Nice summary Peter.
It is an excellent bike and as we are 'early adopters' I suppose we have to except teething troubles.
As I said earlier everyone makes mistakes but I tend to judge a company/retailer by how they correct these errors and react to their
customers concerns. In my case this has been dreadful with basic failure to answer emails even when including all warranty information.

So Cube are also using the Fazua system are they ? I may try one of these systems next ? however at knocking on 73 my next vehicle may be
a wheeled walking aid. :ohmy:
The Boardman 8.9E I was referencing has the SRAM 1 x 11 groupset which I was unwilling to purchase but does get universal praise whenever
I read about it.
I cannot imagine trying to put the Gain on a roof mounted rack ! have you a tow bar on your vehicle ? I have a Thule towbar mounted rack (2 bikes)
It is excellent and even folds down to allow hatchback rear to open and close.

Last edited:

Storck

Nice summary Peter.
It is a excellent bike and as we are 'early adopters' I suppose we have to except teething troubles.
As I said earlier everyone makes mistakes but I tend to judge a company/retailer by how they correct these errors and react to their
customers concerns. In my case this has been dreadful with basic failure to answer emails even when including all warranty information.

So Cube are also using the Fazua system are they ? I may try one of these systems next ? however at knocking on 73 my next vehicle may be
a wheeled walking aid. :ohmy:
The Boardman 8.9E I was referencing has the SRAM 1 x 11 groupset which I was unwilling to purchase but does get universal praise whenever
I read about it.
I cannot imagine trying to put the Gain on a roof mounted rack ! have you a tow bar on your vehicle ? I have a Thule towbar mounted rack (2 bikes)
It is excellent and even folds down to allow hatchback rear to open and close.

No chance of going on the roof, even with my 25lb Gain. Was going to change my RAV4 for small BMW. Now keeping it, I can slide bike in easy, especially with having no lip. My Gain is living up to expectation, still intending to purchase a "D" model for winter and some easy off road ventures (ex rail tracks etc) It still puts a smile on my face, especially when the wind is up. Thought originally the 15mph limit maybe a deal breaker? Turned out not so, I actually ride the Gain slower almost in cruise mode, taking in the world. Sod it, still gonna get the Beemer. I'm on borrowed time as it is.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Here is the Cube Agree C62 Hybrid - prettier in the flesh. I usually carry my Gain inside my Peugeot 5008, upright using a fork mount, front wheel off, with just one of the rear seats folded. It's only when making long family trips that I need to carry a bike outside, as a wheelchair. people and luggage leave little space inside. I've bought a Saris Bones single carrier that might work with the Gain, wheels removed, I've not tried it as yet, as in the past I usually carried one of my bikes on the roof. However I'm not all that happy about transporting the Gain outside on a long journey in rain like we've had recently - anyone any experience of this?

Scaleyback

Veteran
However I'm not all that happy about transporting the Gain outside on a long journey in rain like we've had recently - anyone any experience of this?

I picked my Gain up a week ago in pretty bad weather and drove home with it on my rear towbar mounted rack. I admit to a certain anxiety but I had no choice really. About a 20 mile journey due to detours because of roads washed away and bridges damaged. It rained all the way and the roads were very bad, impossible to not drive through big puddles etc. As soon as I got home I dried off the bike then turned it upside down and l left it for a while resting on handlebars and seat. My thinking was if any water had got into the frame I would see evidence of that when it found it's way out.
There was no sign of water ingress and the bike was absolutely fine.
Based on that experience I wouldn't worry too much if my bike was on the back of the car in wet weather again.
However, I'm a 'belt 'n' braces' man and I would probably use a nice large piece of 'gaffer' tape over the charging point and the iwoc control for piece of mind.

Widge

Baldy Go
Hello all,
I have had a few good days out now on my new D30

I wonder if anyone here could help me with a couple of questions?

A few days ago I noticed a little play in the headset...nothing too drastic.....so, (as I have done many times on other bikes) I duly loosened the stem bolts and snugged down the top-cap to remove the play. All well and good now.

BUT.....after I retightened the two stem-steerer bolts I noticed there were no 'Nm' torque settings marked anywhere on my 'Orbea'branded stem.

I'm afraid I have always tightened these sort of 'slip-critical' joints by 'feel' on my other (non carbon equipped) bikes. Poor practice I know! Nipping up tight with just 'wrist action' on a Y shaped multitool. Now I am panicking since It crossed my mind that I did not know whether the forks have an alloy steerer tube or 100% carbon steerer (in which case my 'nip-it-tight-until-it's-right' protocol may prove lack-a-daisically inadequate). I wouldn't want to over (or UNDER) do it!

I've read a few horror stories involving cracked tubes/or catatastrophic slippage :ohmy:

Does anyone know off-hand what the steerer tube is made of before I faff about redoing it all to find out?? Any advice re; specific torque settings?
I am sending away for a small torque wrench this weekend but I hope I haven't gone and overdone it already! But I am still unsure what torque setting I should use. Perhaps I am overthinking as usual?
I've never fettled anything involving carbon components before,

Many Thanks

Widge

Last edited:
OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

I don't know what your steerer tube is made from, but I have consulted the Orbea 'Original Manual Instructions and Maintenance' (p43) that came with my Gain, and if there isn't a torque figure on the component they show a table of Allen Wrench Size / Nm:
3mm : 2.5 Nm min - 3 Nm max
4mm : 4 - 5 Nm
5mm : 6 - 8 Nm
6mm : 11 - 15 Nm
My Orbea stem bolts are 4mm so their recommendation is 4-5 Nm

Solom01

Hi Widge, I have an F30 so the parts are definitely different, but for what it's worth they have 5Nm on it. For some reason Ornea loves to make it hard to see their markings loving small print in non-contrasting colors, it took me a while to find it on mind, it was towards the top of the stem tube in the back - maybe yours is marked just in the back and kind of hidden?

Widge

Baldy Go
Hey.....well spotted Solom01!

Mine has '5-7Nm' written in tiny just where you said. (Should've gone to specshavers.)

I wonder why it's different to yours?

Thanks.

w

Solom01

I took another look and sure enough mine also says 5-7, it's just that my old eyes didn't see the 7 and thought it was just the Nm. I swear the Spanish must have the best eyes in the world, the markings on this bike could not be harder to make out !

Top Bottom