Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Anyone notice a drop off in battery performance this last month?
What's your thinking - cold weather effect? I've hardly been out (virus), but didn't notice any difference on the short rides I managed.

Storck

What's your thinking - cold weather effect? I've hardly been out (virus), but didn't notice any difference on the short rides I managed.

Definitely down on distance available. I'd say 5 miles over a 55 mile ride.

Scaleyback

Veteran
I guess most (all) of our bikes are kept outside in unheated garages or sheds ? mine is. I think it’s accepted knowledge that battery performance drops in colder weather. Wether it would be noticeable is another question ? I cannot say I have noticed any ‘fall off’ in performance but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Storck

Not much happening on the forum of late, so most folks now have at least a full season riding their Gains. With that experience, what are all your thoughts on the Gain? Who has plans for next year? Upgrades, Mileage targets, Tours, New bike? Would anyone buy the same again (I have two Gains) Let's communicate over these dark months and encourage each other to get out there and use the bikes.

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I was looking at the gain as a possible 3rd Ebike in the stable.........i currently have two Cube Acid Ones, Bosch Active plus motors, one with slicks and upgraded rockshox, one with schwalbe rapid robs and fox 36 kashimas

knowing that the bosch motor is 50nm at full power and the gain is 40nm at full power, with the gain being lighter and a full on roadie machine, do you think i will notice the 10nm's difference out on the road on climbs?

Storck

I was looking at the gain as a possible 3rd Ebike in the stable.........i currently have two Cube Acid Ones, Bosch Active plus motors, one with slicks and upgraded rockshox, one with schwalbe rapid robs and fox 36 kashimas

knowing that the bosch motor is 50nm at full power and the gain is 40nm at full power, with the gain being lighter and a full on roadie machine, do you think i will notice the 10nm's difference out on the road on climbs?

Obviously part of the answer depends on your fitness? My guess would be no not greatly, I don't notice much difference between my sub 7 kilo Storck when not using the motor. Obviously there is a difference but not enough for me to "huff n puff" about it, after all my Gain weighs roughly the same as a racing bike from the early 80's.

jowwy

Obviously part of the answer depends on your fitness? My guess would be no not greatly, I don't notice much difference between my sub 7 kilo Storck when not using the motor. Obviously there is a difference but not enough for me to "huff n puff" about it, after all my Gain weighs roughly the same as a racing bike from the early 80's.
fitness isn't really an issue, but i am a big lad at 18st 4lbs.......for me i would just ensure i fitted a bigger cassette at the rear so i can spin more while using the added power gain from the gain motor

obviously thinner slicker 28/32mm tyres are a lot easier to get going than 2.2" 29er slicks and the bike overall would be around 12kgs less in weight over the cube

Storck

fitness isn't really an issue, but i am a big lad at 18st 4lbs.......for me i would just ensure i fitted a bigger cassette at the rear so i can spin more while using the added power gain from the gain motor

obviously thinner slicker 28/32mm tyres are a lot easier to get going than 2.2" 29er slicks and the bike overall would be around 12kgs less in weight over the cube

Spinning a low gear is the most efficient way to use the assist while climbing on the Gain. Given your size though, you may need a cassette lower than the 32 that comes with the Gain as standard?

Smudge

Veteran

I think you would definitely notice a difference of 10nm of torque. My first ebike had 35nm and my current one is 45nm of torque. The difference in torque power between the two is massively noticeable.
I would think the difference of 10nm torque would be even more noticeable, when comparing crank to hub drive.

jowwy

Spinning a low gear is the most efficient way to use the assist while climbing on the Gain. Given your size though, you may need a cassette lower than the 32 that comes with the Gain as standard?
i would be going 1x11 with a 38t front and 11/42 rear if did make that choice, thats plenty of gearing for around my area and i tend to freewheel down hill at a good pace. so a 38/11 would be enough and a 38/42 climbing gear would also be ample

jowwy

I think you would definitely notice a difference of 10nm of torque. My first ebike had 35nm and my current one is 45nm of torque. The difference in torque power between the two is massively noticeable.
I would think the difference of 10nm torque would be even more noticeable, when comparing crank to hub drive.
bearing in mind the hills that i would ride this machine on i can do no problem without a motor, but the knee pain while doing it, takes a lot of recovery time.........so thats why i switched to E bikes in the first place. so i could carry on commuting with less pain and less recovery time required. even now i ride home in sport mode which is 40nm and some occassions when the sun is shining a ride in standard at 35nm of torque

Scaleyback

Veteran
Not much happening on the forum of late, so most folks now have at least a full season riding their Gains. With that experience, what are all your thoughts on the Gain? Who has plans for next year? Upgrades, Mileage targets, Tours, New bike? Would anyone buy the same again (I have two Gains) Let's communicate over these dark months and encourage each other to get out there and use the bikes.

Hi Storck,
My mileage target for the year (ends 31st dec) was 4,000, as it has been for the last couple of years. to date I have logged 4,007 so target achieved and 'God willing' I shall finish between 4,200 and 4,300. Not large mileage but I'm 73 in 3 weeks and I have to save some energy for walking my dog and the 'other things in life' :rolleyes: I have ridden 1,678 of those miles on my D30 Orbea Gain starting from 01 mar 2019.
As was well documented here I was 'off the road' for approx 1 month due to losing 3 spokes. The total absense of any help or response to my questions from Orbea was a major disappoinment, but again this was well documented at the time.

That problem aside the bike has been brilliant, I haven't even had a puncture ! yes i realise that is down to the tyres not the bike :wacko:
The ebikemotion app seems to be an ongoing 'cock up' but I gave up using it when riding many months ago, I just log-on and check readings
occasionally so the app idiosyncrasies do not really bother me. However Orbea should really have it sorted by now, or have they ?
So, no purchasing regrets from me, and yes i would probably buy the same again but of course the road ebike market is continually
evolving so I would need to lookaround first.

i-hsWwxTZ-Ti.jpg
Scaley

Storck

Hi Storck,
My mileage target for the year (ends 31st dec) was 4,000, as it has been for the last couple of years. to date I have logged 4,007 so target achieved and 'God willing' I shall finish between 4,200 and 4,300. Not large mileage but I'm 73 in 3 weeks and I have to save some energy for walking my dog and the 'other things in life' :rolleyes: I have ridden 1,678 of those miles on my D30 Orbea Gain starting from 01 mar 2019.
As was well documented here I was 'off the road' for approx 1 month due to losing 3 spokes. The total absense of any help or response to my questions from Orbea was a major disappoinment, but again this was well documented at the time.

That problem aside the bike has been brilliant, I haven't even had a puncture ! yes i realise that is down to the tyres not the bike :wacko:
The ebikemotion app seems to be an ongoing 'cock up' but I gave up using it when riding many months ago, I just log-on and check readings
occasionally so the app idiosyncrasies do not really bother me. However Orbea should really have it sorted by now, or have they ?
So, no purchasing regrets from me, and yes i would probably buy the same again but of course the road ebike market is continually
evolving so I would need to lookaround first.

View attachment 496029 Scaley

Happy New Year's Birthday Scaley. I'm sure you would have managed quite a bit more without the spoke problem and heavy rains you had? Agree with you about Orbea, great bike lousy support. Still they have produced ZA decent machine, that has provided lots of satisfaction for a good number of us this year. Like you I've no regrets, noW for an early Spring.

Mainiac

Brand new owner of Orbea Gain F20. Trying very hard to not be disappointed. Picked bike up yesterday from my lbs after special order. The welds are butt ugly. Yes, I ordered it sight unseen after riding Moots for 15 years, but my wife rides an orbea. What up with these welds?

Maybe more importantly, I rode 19 miles with a fair amount of hills and battery was below 50%. While as a newbie I was toggling a bit between levels but for some of the ride I was not using the assist at all.

Am I going to be limited to 40 mile rides? Can you sense my disappointment?

Storck

Brand new owner of Orbea Gain F20. Trying very hard to not be disappointed. Picked bike up yesterday from my lbs after special order. The welds are butt ugly. Yes, I ordered it sight unseen after riding Moots for 15 years, but my wife rides an orbea. What up with these welds?

Maybe more importantly, I rode 19 miles with a fair amount of hills and battery was below 50%. While as a newbie I was toggling a bit between levels but for some of the ride I was not using the assist at all.

Am I going to be limited to 40 mile rides? Can you sense my disappointment?

Moots, even on a £1000+ alloy frame only, I have seen some basic welding finish after all it's not fillet braizing. If anyone wants a superb finished alloy frame then they have to spend big. My alloy Basso frame was £2000 beautiful smooth welds and paint finish but that's where the cash goes. I'm sure you will find the range improving most of us get at least 60 miles. I find riding a new bike for the first time strange, taking in the quirks of the bike and the strangeness of it. Takes a good few rides to sort out most comfortable and efficient position. Once it becomes a "Part of You" you will be more at home and smooth. Hope you enjoy and get plenty of use out of it?

Top Bottom