Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Southernguns

That's what I do during my snooker playing season. I also set it up easy? So I average around 17mph using 70/80rpm about 80% max HR. I'm not trying to get fitter, just keeping the fitness level and muscles familiar to riding a bike. Come late Feb, I will then turn up the pressure but never more than around 30-40 mins.
That sounds like a much better plan, although your stats put me to shame. I average about 15.5 mph using 80-90rpm at a heart rate of 135BPM (180 minus my age).

Storck

That sounds like a much better plan, although your stats put me to shame. I average about 15.5 mph using 80-90rpm at a heart rate of 135BPM (180 minus my age).

Well just keep it easy. I have a fan but don't need to use it. I make sure it's an easy session, even if I don't particularly feel like doing it, I know that it isn't going to hurt. With two miles left I do raise it for half a mile. Not quite a sprint, that then gives me a good mile to spin down. I find this regiment is really beneficial also with weight control over these 3 months.

Southernguns

Well just keep it easy. I have a fan but don't need to use it. I make sure it's an easy session, even if I don't particularly feel like doing it, I know that it isn't going to hurt. With two miles left I do raise it for half a mile. Not quite a sprint, that then gives me a good mile to spin down. I find this regiment is really beneficial also with weight control over these 3 months.
I'm liking this. I normally try and mix swimming and running into my weekly routine but injuries have really taken its toll this year so I'm struggling to do much. This would work well once I'm into the routine of doing it.

Storck

I'm liking this. I normally try and mix swimming and running into my weekly routine but injuries have really taken its toll this year so I'm struggling to do much. This would work well once I'm into the routine of doing it.

Whatever discipline you go with South, I hope it works for you? Put this year and it's problems behind and get sorted for next year.

Southernguns

Anyone notice a drop off in battery performance this last month?
Well, I used my bike for the first time in a while and I went and did a 38 mile ride yesterday with the battery charged to 65% when I started. Normally the battery would be around the 20% remaining at the end of the ride, but yesterday it was at 5% and the Woc light was flashing red and I had no power for the remaining half a mile home. The battery level dropped from 25% remaining to 5% incredibly quickly (in less that 3 miles!). The temperature was about 7 - 9 degrees and I was using level 1 (green) on the Woc for 99% of the ride and climbed 1250ft. This is a huge drop off in battery performance compared to what I usually see.

I guess most (all) of our bikes are kept outside in unheated garages or sheds ?
Of course this could be the reason why maybe?

On a positive note - the amount of water, and even floods that I carefully and slowly rode through, had no effect on the electrics at all!

Storck

Well, I used my bike for the first time in a while and I went and did a 38 mile ride yesterday with the battery charged to 65% when I started. Normally the battery would be around the 20% remaining at the end of the ride, but yesterday it was at 5% and the Woc light was flashing red and I had no power for the remaining half a mile home. The battery level dropped from 25% remaining to 5% incredibly quickly (in less that 3 miles!). The temperature was about 7 - 9 degrees and I was using level 1 (green) on the Woc for 99% of the ride and climbed 1250ft. This is a huge drop off in battery performance compared to what I usually see.

Of course this could be the reason why maybe?

On a positive note - the amount of water, and even floods that I carefully and slowly rode through, had no effect on the electrics at all!

Bet you was glad to get out? That is a huge drop, I wouldn't have thought the temperature was that particularly cold also? No way could I envisage buying a electric car in our northern reaches.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
No noticeable drop in battery performance recently, but I've only managed a few short rides in the past 6 weeks, due to 'flu-like illness'. For the first 3 weeks the bike was left fully charged, as I'd intended a ride only to be struck down by the virus. However my Gain lives indoors, in the warm, along with my other bikes in the study. Now over 2500 miles total from new.

Storck

No noticeable drop in battery performance recently, but I've only managed a few short rides in the past 6 weeks, due to 'flu-like illness'. For the first 3 weeks the bike was left fully charged, as I'd intended a ride only to be struck down by the virus. However my Gain lives indoors, in the warm, along with my other bikes in the study. Now over 2500 miles total from new.

Hope you're on the mend Young?

Scaleyback

Veteran
Yes, I concur with Storck. Hope you (youngoldbloke) are feeling better ? pretty 'crabby' if you re under the weather at Christmas.

On a different note, it seems the ebikemotion's site has been unreachable all day ! how long has this been going on ? I cannot logon with the bike app or reach the site on my PC.
Have they made their fortune and moved out ? ^_^

Storck

Yes, I concur with Storck. Hope you (youngoldbloke) are feeling better ? pretty 'crabby' if you re under the weather at Christmas.

On a different note, it seems the ebikemotion's site has been unreachable all day ! how long has this been going on ? I cannot logon with the bike app or reach the site on my PC.
Have they made their fortune and moved out ? ^_^

Out delivering presents to all their users? No maybe not.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Thanks - almost over it now. Doc thought flu strain not protected against by this years jab.
Just tried the Orbea dashboard - all OK, after refreshing first attempt.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Anyone notice a drop off in battery performance this last month?
Since my last post, and my post in September (610) about this I checked my battery figures and it appears I've lost almost 10% of the original 250wh capacity in a relatively short period of time. Today the figures (as in the engineering section of app) were: 225.3/225.7 at 100% charge. My potential range has also dropped from 80 to 75 km on the app. So it seems a significant fall since then. As I said above, early November after a long ride using 94% charge I had fully charged the bike, intending to ride the next day. I was then out of action due to a viral infection, the result being the battery was left fully charged for 3 weeks. Would this result in the drop in capacity?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Since my last post, and my post in September (610) about this I checked my battery figures and it appears I've lost almost 10% of the original 250wh capacity in a relatively short period of time. Today the figures (as in the engineering section of app) were: 225.3/225.7 at 100% charge. My potential range has also dropped from 80 to 75 km on the app. So it seems a significant fall since then. As I said above, early November after a long ride using 94% charge I had fully charged the bike, intending to ride the next day. I was then out of action due to a viral infection, the result being the battery was left fully charged for 3 weeks. Would this result in the drop in capacity?

The battery will lose capacity over time if left fully charged.

Usual advice is not to store the battery long term fully charged because a full charge stresses the cells and can damage them if left.

I doubt three weeks is long enough to cause any permanent damage.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Another (cycling) year ends.
I'm a pretty 'anal' guy, :wub: I log all my rides via my Garmin Edge 130 onto Garmin connect.
Mileage target is usually 4,000 miles minimum and I have reached that for the last few years with a best of 5,300 in 2016-2017.
4,228 miles this year ^_^ Not a large mileage but I have to leave some energy for 'my other life'
1,750 miles of this total has been on my Orbea Gain D30 new from 28th Feb 2019. Apart from a problem obtaining a few new spokes
my Gain has been really excellent. The icing on the cake ? not a single puncture during this time (but I do have sealant in my tubes :whistle:)
Happy New Year and especially good health to all members. Hope to hear from you in 2020.

Top Bottom