Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
My wife's battery on her kit ebike did the same. It was quite low when we set off but rapidly dropped under the demand of a small hill. Then dead instantly a few yards later.

Best start ride fully charged

Scaleyback

Veteran
Can any one help and advise this silly old man please ?
I enclose 2 pictures of what I believe is a 'retaining clip' for the excess cable on the front mech of my Gain D30 (Shimano 105 groupset)
The other day while wiping off some 'crud' it seems i caught the cloth in this clip and 'sprung it loose' from it's resting place ?
For the life of me I cannot find where this clip 'belongs' and I have had a greater brain working on this (my wife) :whistle: I don't think anything is broken and I assume it is designed to clip back somewhere.
In it's current state my foot catches the cable excess with every pedal rotation ! so bloody annoying. Do you have one the same ? if so a picture of it in it's 'resting'place would be much appreciated.
P.S The black plastic clip slides up/down the excess cable freely.

i-rhVtJbN.jpg

i-Qdtsfzz.jpg

robgul

Legendary Member
I got caught out with the new style cable stuff on the Ultegra front mech when I built my bike at PlanetX (not ebike) - a bit of a fiddle to understand (and don't cut the cable too short . . . I did and had to fit a new one) - that said it's quite neat once it's installed.

Rob

El Yako

Regular
Before I have a far trickier convo with the wife regarding costs, I did want to trouble you guys with a newb question...can any of you make a stab at quantifying how much less effort is required on hills with the Gain? I have a fine range of ills, recovering from cancer, hypertension, Achilles tendonitis and a torn meniscus (do I get any prizes? :-)) AND am 120kg/19st. I need some help riding hills! I'm a life-long heavy rider, previously pretty fit (riding a road bike at 110kg at 16-18mph avg ...and some long distance bikepacking). I want to recover and lose weight but can't get up any hills at all right now due to fatigue. With my weight I'd like around a 20% boost on 10pc/5km hill...happy to cut ride time down overall if I need full assist...is this something you think the Gain could provide?

robgul

Legendary Member
Before I have a far trickier convo with the wife regarding costs, I did want to trouble you guys with a newb question...can any of you make a stab at quantifying how much less effort is required on hills with the Gain? I have a fine range of ills, recovering from cancer, hypertension, Achilles tendonitis and a torn meniscus (do I get any prizes? :-)) AND am 120kg/19st. I need some help riding hills! I'm a life-long heavy rider, previously pretty fit (riding a road bike at 110kg at 16-18mph avg ...and some long distance bikepacking). I want to recover and lose weight but can't get up any hills at all right now due to fatigue. With my weight I'd like around a 20% boost on 10pc/5km hill...happy to cut ride time down overall if I need full assist...is this something you think the Gain could provide?

YES

Rob

Storck

Again yes, but it will have to be the D (alloy) Gain for you. As a help to your losing weight? Weight loss is a level 1 ride. So don't go hard. You should be able to hold a conversation while riding. Any harder and you're into muscle building territory not fat burning. The secret is easy steady rides, without getting into a sweat and fatigued.

El Yako

Regular
Nice bit of positivity there, many thanks, it's what I needed. How are older Gain battery packs holding up? I've noticed there are a few 2017 and 18 Gains appearing secondhand at c.1300GBP? Might appease my wife if a second mortgage can be avoided!

Storck

Nice bit of positivity there, many thanks, it's what I needed. How are older Gain battery packs holding up? I've noticed there are a few 2017 and 18 Gains appearing secondhand at c.1300GBP? Might appease my wife if a second mortgage can be avoided!

My mid 2018 Gains batery is still doing very well. Got about 3200 miles on it. Still easily get 50 miles out of a single charge. Then again, it's never been stored in a cold environment over night or winter.

El Yako

Regular
Again yes, but it will have to be the D (alloy) Gain for you. As a help to your losing weight? Weight loss is a level 1 ride. So don't go hard. You should be able to hold a conversation while riding. Any harder and you're into muscle building territory not fat burning. The secret is easy steady rides, without getting into a sweat and fatigued.
My mid 2018 Gains batery is still doing very well. Got about 3200 miles on it. Still easily get 50 miles out of a single charge. Then again, it's never been stored in a cold environment over night or winter.
Again, thank you. It seems 2nd hand is viable, then. And finally (for now, no doubt!) a M seems the correct choice for a 6footer with stumpy legs? Sitting here with a smile on my face thinking this is on!

Storck

Again, thank you. It seems 2nd hand is viable, then. And finally (for now, no doubt!) a M seems the correct choice for a 6footer with stumpy legs? Sitting here with a smile on my face thinking this is on!

An "M" would be fine. I'm six foot and it fits fine. The sizing comes out slightly larger than you would normally expect. The alloy Gain has a longer top tube and different angles to the carbon Gain. On my carbon I have a laid back seat tube. On the alloy Gain, its a no set back seat pin. I've seen new 2019 D Gain models going for around £1400. There could well be dealers with them still in or a demo model maybe?

Zofo

Veteran
I have to say I’m very unimpressed with the battery life on my M3. Previously when I purchased the bike back in May I was getting a good 55 to 60 miles out of the full charge. Just went out today and barely got 38 miles before the lights were flashing at me and power is significantly down. Anyone else having similar issues?

Storck

I have to say I’m very unimpressed with the battery life on my M3. Previously when I purchased the bike back in May I was getting a good 55 to 60 miles out of the full charge. Just went out today and barely got 38 miles before the lights were flashing at me and power is significantly down. Anyone else having similar issues?

Don't forget the outside temperature will effect battery performance. Also how have you been storing the bike this winter? If in a cold environment, this will have a huge effect on the battery. Mine are kept in a heated room during the winter months. With no degradation to speak of.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Have you been leaving it fully charged? My battery lost capacity after it was unavoidably left fully charged. See posts 748/749 above

Top Bottom