Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Mine has the same rims - Rodi GR. No sign of corrosion. Well over 2000 miles in all weathers. Looks like you got the 'Friday afternoon' rims.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Mine has the same rims - Rodi GR. No sign of corrosion. Well over 2000 miles in all weathers. Looks like you got the 'Friday afternoon' rims.

This is not fair, I want you all to suffer with me. :wacko:
Seriously, thanks for the replies. It must be North Yorkshires acid rain ^_^ not that I have been cycling in it much. Maybe I can get some Mavic rims out of Orbea ? ever the optimist.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
This is not fair, I want you all to suffer with me. :wacko:
Seriously, thanks for the replies. It must be North Yorkshires acid rain ^_^ not that I have been cycling in it much. Maybe I can get some Mavic rims out of Orbea ? ever the optimist.
I swapped the front wheel on mine for an Aksium anyway.

harrisc

Last month I received my Orbea Gain M20i. I have Mavic aluminium UST wheels and Mavic UST 700 x 28c Tubeless tyres, but with tubes. (I do not know if Orbea or my LBS supplied the tubes). I am in Australia and the Gain is speed limited to 25 kph.

The 2020 model seems to have 2 main differences
1. The motor now has Bluetooth and Ant+ connectivity
2. The bike is supplied with a “Orbea coachsmart” display on an integrated mount.

I think the display is this https://www.o-synce-shop.de/shop/en/bike-computers/coachsmart/105/coachsmart-lev. It connects to the motor by Ant+. The display shows the current speed, the total odometer reading of the motor, the current trip distance, current trip time and the battery level. I can also change the assistance level for L0 to L3 by the use of the 2 buttons. The currently selected assistance level is also displayed using the symbols that are typically used on bicycle computers to show if speed is average, below average or above average.

I find the display very useful. I normally only use the iWoc ONE to turn the bike off/on.

The integrated mount is plastic and comes from the head stem. It uses a Garmin mount (there were other adaptors included). I found that if I don’t turn on the motor first and then the coachsmart, the odometer is not always displayed.

I am 69 years old and am a regular rider; normally about 50 km at a time, 4 or 5 times a week. The rides are either bunch rides on the “flat” sitting about 32 kph or in the Adelaide Hills (used for the Tour Down Under). These days I have some fatigue and do not have enough endurance to comfortably complete the hills rides; hence the Orbea Gain. To date I have done about 400 km.

I have set the assistance levels to L1 40%, L2 70% and L3 100%. I generally leave the motor on L1 at all times and turn up assistance if needed.

I love the Gain for the hills rides. When with acquaintances, I use L1 and I can keep up with them, but I still am working hard, but I don't get completely exhausted. If I ride in the hills on my own, I might use more assistance to go faster and further!

I tried the bike for the flat rides, but I mainly using my old bike. With the Gain, generally I can keep up with everyone, even though the motor only works when starting off. The only time I have an issue when the road has a gentle long incline. On my normal road bike I can sit on 26 to 30 kph. With the extra weight of the Gain I cannot keep up the speed of the other riders; I drop back to 25/26 kph with motor assistance.

Overall, I love the Orbea Gain M20i

Chris
Adelaide
Australia

Storck

Last month I received my Orbea Gain M20i. I have Mavic aluminium UST wheels and Mavic UST 700 x 28c Tubeless tyres, but with tubes. (I do not know if Orbea or my LBS supplied the tubes). I am in Australia and the Gain is speed limited to 25 kph.

The 2020 model seems to have 2 main differences
1. The motor now has Bluetooth and Ant+ connectivity
2. The bike is supplied with a “Orbea coachsmart” display on an integrated mount.

I think the display is this https://www.o-synce-shop.de/shop/en/bike-computers/coachsmart/105/coachsmart-lev. It connects to the motor by Ant+. The display shows the current speed, the total odometer reading of the motor, the current trip distance, current trip time and the battery level. I can also change the assistance level for L0 to L3 by the use of the 2 buttons. The currently selected assistance level is also displayed using the symbols that are typically used on bicycle computers to show if speed is average, below average or above average.

I find the display very useful. I normally only use the iWoc ONE to turn the bike off/on.

The integrated mount is plastic and comes from the head stem. It uses a Garmin mount (there were other adaptors included). I found that if I don’t turn on the motor first and then the coachsmart, the odometer is not always displayed.

I am 69 years old and am a regular rider; normally about 50 km at a time, 4 or 5 times a week. The rides are either bunch rides on the “flat” sitting about 32 kph or in the Adelaide Hills (used for the Tour Down Under). These days I have some fatigue and do not have enough endurance to comfortably complete the hills rides; hence the Orbea Gain. To date I have done about 400 km.

I have set the assistance levels to L1 40%, L2 70% and L3 100%. I generally leave the motor on L1 at all times and turn up assistance if needed.

I love the Gain for the hills rides. When with acquaintances, I use L1 and I can keep up with them, but I still am working hard, but I don't get completely exhausted. If I ride in the hills on my own, I might use more assistance to go faster and further!

I tried the bike for the flat rides, but I mainly using my old bike. With the Gain, generally I can keep up with everyone, even though the motor only works when starting off. The only time I have an issue when the road has a gentle long incline. On my normal road bike I can sit on 26 to 30 kph. With the extra weight of the Gain I cannot keep up the speed of the other riders; I drop back to 25/26 kph with motor assistance.

Overall, I love the Orbea Gain M20i

Chris
Adelaide
Australia

Hi Chris, Orbea supplied the tubes. They are quite heavy, replacing them will improve your rolling resistance. I too have an M20i love the Di2 so much I put it on my other 2 bikes last year. Welcome.

harrisc

Hi Chris, Orbea supplied the tubes. They are quite heavy, replacing them will improve your rolling resistance.

I did replace the supplied Kenda 700c x 38/32 with Schwalbe SV15 700c x 18/28. They were only about 20 grams lighter, but I do think the ride was smoother!

As the supplied rims and tubes are tubeless ready, has anyone tired the Gain M20i as tubeless?

Chris

Storck

I did replace the supplied Kenda 700c x 38/32 with Schwalbe SV15 700c x 18/28. They were only about 20 grams lighter, but I do think the ride was smoother!

As the supplied rims and tubes are tubeless ready, has anyone tired the Gain M20i as tubeless?

Chris

Was thinking about it? Decided after looking into it, to stay with what I know. Anyway tyres are so good now, I've only had two flats in the last 12 years. One overnight, and the other just as I reached my mates house.

harrisc

While I am enjoying my Gain,I am getting confused about the power levels set on Level 1 to 3. I understand that the maximum power for each level is set by Orbea and the amount of assistance reduces from level 3 to level 1. I also understand that the user can set a percentage reduction of each of those levels by the ebikeMotion user app on a mobile phone.

I also understand that the motor maps ( percentage power available at each power levels at 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25 kph are set by Orbea and not adjustable by the end user.

Problem
The output of my engine does not seem have any significant difference between level 2 and level 3. I have measured the motor parameters using the ebikeMotion app on my Android mobile phone. For example I set the engine maximum power levels for level 1, 2 & 3 at 100%. I then did a test ride. The data is also available at https://www.ebikemotion.com/app/route.php?url_shared=a4c2ae84c57d8aca714e3fbc34771ec9dca847f0

It can be seem that the maximum power at level 1 is about 100 to 110 watts. When level 2 is used, the maximum power provided is about 240 to 250 watts. At level 3 the maximum power supplied was 224 watts. At about the same speed , the power provided at level 2 seems to be more than that provided at level 3!!

There seems to be a problem in the way the power levels have been set by Orbea?

I would like answers to the following questions!
1. What is the maximum power levels for each of level 1, 2 & 3 as set by Orbea?
2. What is the power motor map as set by Orbea of each power levels 1, 2 & 3 and for each speed 5, 10, 15, 20 & 25 kph?
3. How do I check motor what Maximum power of each level is actually set at and how do I check the Motor Maps?
4. If the maximum power settings for each level or the motor maps are set incorrectly, how do I fix these?

Regards
Chris

Southernguns

I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has a problem with their Orbea Gain wheels.
To recap: purchased on 27/2/2019 my Gain D30 has completed 1,846 miles.
The wheel rims (Ready GR) are suffering very unsightly corrosion...
Hi Scaley, sorry for late reply but I have been ill (not Covid19, thankfully). I have the same wheels as you and I have no issues with corrosion (yet!). That being said, my wheels have covered no where near as many miles as yours (about 700), but the majority of mine have been off road over rocky, gravelly, wet, muddy, dusty... terrain (you get the picture). I have even ridden them through floods up to the bottom bracket. I'm sure mine will eventually go the same way as yours, but currently they appear okay.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Hi Scaley, sorry for late reply but I have been ill (not Covid19, thankfully). I have the same wheels as you and I have no issues with corrosion (yet!). That being said, my wheels have covered no where near as many miles as yours (about 700), but the majority of mine have been off road over rocky, gravelly, wet, muddy, dusty... terrain (you get the picture). I have even ridden them through floods up to the bottom bracket. I'm sure mine will eventually go the same way as yours, but currently they appear okay.

Hi Neil, thanks for taking the time to answer.
I haven’t heard from anyone, here or elsewhere who is having similar problems with their rims as I am. Some have older bikes than me and have completed higher mileage. If it is something I have done/am doing then I don’t have a clue what that could be. My Orbea dealer has submitted my ‘case’ to Orbea and I wait . . . . and wait . . . . ?

Storck

I haven’t heard from anyone, here or elsewhere who is having similar problems with their rims as I am. Some have older bikes than me and have completed higher mileage. If it is something I have done/am doing then I don’t have a clue what that could be. My Orbea dealer has submitted my ‘case’ to Orbea and I wait . . . . and wait . . . . ?

Wasn't your bike subject to floods last year?

Southernguns

Orbea are not the fastest are they? I had to wait ages for my bent frame to be sorted.

Storck

I guess this CV situation isn’t going to help and Orbea surely have more to worry about than my bike rims so whatever will be . . . will be.

Today I begin my 3 months of isolation been a transplant recipient. Hoping it won't be too bad? I'm going to be living in my snooker room. Apart from the table to keep my busy, I have my indoor trainer hooked up to the TV. The usual Prime TV and Alexa Music on the HiFi. Also have my own toilet, washing facilities and kitchen. No windows though, so a stroll around the courtyard will be a must. I recognise I will have it easier than many folks. Here's wishing the other's in a similar position a safe journey. See ya all out on the road later.

Top Bottom