Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zofo

Veteran
Don't forget the outside temperature will effect battery performance. Also how have you been storing the bike this winter? If in a cold environment, this will have a huge effect on the battery. Mine are kept in a heated room during the winter months. With no degradation to speak of.
I have left it fully charged in my garage - nowhere else to leave it.

Zofo

Veteran
Have you been leaving it fully charged? My battery lost capacity after it was unavoidably left fully charged. See posts 748/749 above
I have left it fully charged for a couple of weeks in between rides - performance has dropped significantly.

Storck

I have left it fully charged in my garage - nowhere else to leave it.

Ah, leaving a battery fully charged and then not using it straight away will definitely degrade the battery. Only charge to 80% if leaving standing. A cold garage, shed etc over winter will not be kind to any battery. If your bike has been stored like this over Winter? Then yes, battery performance and life span would be effected.

Zofo

Veteran
Ah, leaving a battery fully charged and then not using it straight away will definitely degrade the battery. Only charge to 80% if leaving standing. A cold garage, shed etc over winter will not be kind to any battery. If your bike has been stored like this over Winter? Then yes, battery performance and life span would be effected.
I think it’s very remiss of Orbea not to even mention a 20% drop off in battery life if a bike is not stored in a heated space. Most people will leave a bike in an un heated garage or shed and indeed this will effect most owners of e bikes. I’m not impressed at all and think have been misled .

Zofo

Veteran
Would be good if Orbea made this clear in their 'instructions' leaflets.
Absolutely correct - most bikes will be left fully charged and in a cold garage or shed. Orbea and indeed all Ebike manufactures should be making it very clear that performance and battery life will be seriously compromised .

Zofo

Veteran
Since September My M30 will power up any hill at only 2/3 rpm hat is why I took it to my dealer who fully tested it while talking to Orbea on the phone who agreed there was nothing wrong with my bike ,they said it was set to high in mode 1,2 ,they set it to 20% in mode 1 and 70% in mode 2.
I went out this week and turned it down to 10% in mode 1 and it seemed to ride ok there was enough power for me.
Hi just noticed your post and was very interested to hear what Orbea suggested re mapping of power levels. I’ve previously just had all 3 set at 100% and wondered if altering them would make significant difference to battery range. How have you been getting on with it ?

Scaleyback

Veteran
Zofo said " I think it’s very remiss of Orbea not to even mention a 20% drop off in battery life if a bike is not stored in a heated space. "
I have never seen it stated 'officially' that the battery will suffer if stored in an unheated space ? Yes, it is accepted that these batteries should not be stored fully charged for long periods. Frankly if the battery needs storing at room temps ? then it need to be a removable battery. Surely most of us keep our bikes in an unheated shed/garage ?
My bike hasn't been ridden since 6 feb, combination of poor weather and a painful shoulder. It is stored in an unheated garage but the battery is only at 55%.
Incidentally Zofo, my battery levels have long been set at 90%/80%/70% (low/med/high power) I cannot comment on " significant difference to battery range " that would take some serious repeated testing over the same course/conditions to quantify. Of course it will mean more input from the rider ergo more range from the battery.

Last edited:

Storck

First outdoor ride of the year this weekend. 78 miles, 50 of them with no assist, then when the power went on! Oooh how I've missed riding my Gain. Only spoilt by? Me, forgetting to check the battery level on the Di2. Down to two gears for the final 15 miles. Still good to be back at it outdoors.

SteveBN

Has anyone else had a problem with not being able to turn their Gain on. I've had mine for 18 month or so and recently it's developed this issue. I've been able to fix it by plugging the charger in (light comes on) then leaving it for a minute or so before going out on a ride. However, today I left home with a 100% charge but then stopped off for 5 minutes or so. When I tried to turn the bike back on it failed to do so, so ended up riding/pushing the 25 miles back home with it switched off. Painful. Plugged it in when I finally arrived , light came on straight away and app shows battery still has 81% charge!

Scaleyback

Veteran
I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has a problem with their Orbea Gain wheels.
To recap: purchased on 27/2/2019 my Gain D30 has completed 1,846 miles.
The wheel rims (Ready GR) are suffering very unsightly corrosion (see pictures)
i-K2JDd8w.jpg

i-mMzgFHc.jpg

Now I do not ride in snow or icy conditions, I don't even ride in the rain given the choice but I have been caught a few times.
The bike is stored in a dry weatherproof garage and always wiped down after a ride if wet or dirty.
Looking like this after one year I hate to think what they will look like further down the road ?
The retailer (LeisureLakes) has these pictures and is going to contact Orbea.
I believe these 'Ready GR' rims are cheap and nasty with a finish 'not fit for purpose'
I'm hoping Orbea's 'legenday' :laugh: aftersales will 'see me right'
Watch this space.

Storck

I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has a problem with their Orbea Gain wheels.
To recap: purchased on 27/2/2019 my Gain D30 has completed 1,846 miles.
The wheel rims (Ready GR) are suffering very unsightly corrosion (see pictures)
View attachment 508108

View attachment 508109

Now I do not ride in snow or icy conditions, I don't even ride in the rain given the choice but I have been caught a few times.
The bike is stored in a dry weatherproof garage and always wiped down after a ride if wet or dirty.
Looking like this after one year I hate to think what they will look like further down the road ?
The retailer (LeisureLakes) has these pictures and is going to contact Orbea.
I believe these 'Ready GR' rims are cheap and nasty with a finish 'not fit for purpose'
I'm hoping Orbea's 'legenday' :laugh: aftersales will 'see me right'
Watch this space.
ÀÂ

You're correct Scaley. Cheap Chinese rims. Mine are not showing any of that yet. The bike is older, but don't use it as much as you do. Good luck with Orbea. But then you know what they are like?

Scaleyback

Veteran
ÀÂ

You're correct Scaley. Cheap Chinese rims. Mine are not showing any of that yet. The bike is older, but don't use it as much as you do. Good luck with Orbea. But then you know what they are like?

Do you have the same rims DJ ?
I believe the higher 'spec' bikes have Mavic rims don't they ?
Of course if I get no help from Orbea I cannot easily buy new rims myself because i would need the hub motor re-fitting !

Storck

Do you have the same rims DJ ?
I believe the higher 'spec' bikes have Mavic rims don't they ?
Of course if I get no help from Orbea I cannot easily buy new rims myself because i would need the hub motor re-fitting !

They look exactly the same Scaley. If you recall I have a D Gain along with a carbon model. The only difference is I have yellow and orange graphic on the side of the rim. I believe this was applied on the 2018 model which mine is. It matches the frame colour.

Top Bottom