Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Well, I haven’t ridden my Orbea Gain much yet, (less than 100 miles) due to the horrible weather over the last week or so.
A little more feedback.
I do not like the way you can only ‘cycle through’ the assistance levels one way ? I.e low > medium > high > off > low etc. Very strange that to go from high to low you have to move through off ! It needs good timing on the riders part as for that brief period (a few seconds) you are ‘on your own’ :angry: It certainly doesn’t change my high opinion of the bike but hopefully Orbea will find a way around this.
I had Schwalbe G-One 40-622 tyres fitted (actual size is 38c) along with full SKS mudguards. These are the largest tyres you will ‘get away with’ with mudguards fitted. In fact the front tyre is a little too large as under poor road conditions the front mudguard vibrates horizontally and the metal mudguard ‘stay’ catches the tyre and creates an intermittant ‘buzz’ ‘buzz’ noise. Many ? would just live with this. My fix ? I changed the front tyre to a G-One 35c giving a little more clearance between guard and tyre. It wasn’t 100% successful, still the occasional ‘buzz’ but I am living with it.
The ebikemotion ‘app’ seems to work well and with a suitable smartphone and bike mount the info and options available are very impressive. My thanks to
our own youngoldbloke who helped me a lot with smartphone/mount choices.
Better weather this week at last but I am in the Lake district (no bike) so I look forward to getting some miles in when back home.

Scaleyback

Veteran
An update for interested parties.
The fine weather recently (long overdue) has allowed me to put some miles on my Orbea Gain.
Todays ride is the biggest test it/we have had so far:-

Distance: 40.15 miles
Time: 2:33:16
Avg Speed: 15.7 mph
Elev Gain: 2,697 ft

I still remain very impressed, with the exception of my do not likes in the entry above.

The roads around here are 'undulating' with constant little 5/6% short climbs and the occasional 10%+ longer climb.
The entire ride was in assistance level1. I find I can 'spin' up decent hills 15% ish if I get in my 'granny' gear and keep a high cadence.
It is comforting to know there is power in reserve should I (when I ) need it.
The battery was showing 51% full when I got home and I am very happy with that.

On flat ground I do not find the weight of the bike much of a drawback, I spend a lot of the time above the 15.5 (ish) assist level
which of course is what allows me to get good mileage (imo) from the battery. Downhill of course the bike weight propels you (me)
faster than I'm comfortable with so I'm thankful for the powerful brakes.

I have 'fallen out' with the ebikemotion app that tracks my ride on my phone. It crashed 3 times during this ride and the 1st two times
I lost the ride data. I probably shall not bother with it until they iron out the bugs. The above data comes from my Garmin 130
which gives me everything I need really.

Nothing much else to say really. This bike is exactly what I wanted. This is by necessity a very personal view and I appreciate we all need
different things from our bikes. Hopefully someone will find some relevance here.

Roy

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
An update for interested parties.
The fine weather recently (long overdue) has allowed me to put some miles on my Orbea Gain.
Todays ride is the biggest test it/we have had so far:-

Distance: 40.15 miles
Time: 2:33:16
Avg Speed: 15.7 mph
Elev Gain: 2,697 ft

I still remain very impressed, with the exception of my do not likes in the entry above.

The roads around here are 'undulating' with constant little 5/6% short climbs and the occasional 10%+ longer climb.
The entire ride was in assistance level1. I find I can 'spin' up decent hills 15% ish if I get in my 'granny' gear and keep a high cadence.
It is comforting to know there is power in reserve should I (when I ) need it.
The battery was showing 51% full when I got home and I am very happy with that.

On flat ground I do not find the weight of the bike much of a drawback, I spend a lot of the time above the 15.5 (ish) assist level
which of course is what allows me to get good mileage (imo) from the battery. Downhill of course the bike weight propels you (me)
faster than I'm comfortable with so I'm thankful for the powerful brakes.

I have 'fallen out' with the ebikemotion app that tracks my ride on my phone. It crashed 3 times during this ride and the 1st two times
I lost the ride data. I probably shall not bother with it until they iron out the bugs. The above data comes from my Garmin 130
which gives me everything I need really.

Nothing much else to say really. This bike is exactly what I wanted. This is by necessity a very personal view and I appreciate we all need
different things from our bikes. Hopefully someone will find some relevance here.

Roy
Have to be honest if I had one I would convert to a 1x11 - 40t front and 11/42 rear just to ensure I had enough of a low gear to keep it spinning on the longer steeper climbs around were I live in South Wales

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Very interesting to compare experiences - you are getting tremendous range Roy, I'm obviously needing to use more assistance, or riding below the cut off speed more, as I'm consistently getting 8 km to 10% charge, so that would be roughly 48 miles on a full charge. I've now ridden over 1000 miles on my Gain and that has remained pretty constant. I do get better figures when I'm riding with the club rides - towing me along over 15mph! Sorry to hear you've had problems with the app - all I can say is it was even worse before the most recent update (as you may have gleaned from my earlier posts!).

Have to be honest if I had one I would convert to a 1x11 - 40t front and 11/42 rear just to ensure I had enough of a low gear to keep it spinning on the longer steeper climbs around were I live in South Wales

Jowwy - the Orbea Gain D31 is their 'gravel' SRAM 1x11 version

Scaleyback

Veteran

I did consider the SRAM 1by version, (1 x 11) as ‘youngoldbloke’ points out the Gain D31 but having no experience of the 1by or indeed SRAM I decided to stay with what I know, Shimano 105. As it happens the only Gain within reach of me (80 miles) in stock for immediate purchase.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Very interesting to compare experiences - you are getting tremendous range Roy, I'm obviously needing to use more assistance, or riding below the cut off speed more, as I'm consistently getting 8 km to 10% charge, so that would be roughly 48 miles on a full charge. I've now ridden over 1000 miles on my Gain and that has remained pretty constant. I do get better figures when I'm riding with the club rides - towing me along over 15mph! Sorry to hear you've had problems with the app - all I can say is it was even worse before the most recent update (as you may have gleaned from my earlier posts!).

Jowwy - the Orbea Gain D31 is their 'gravel' SRAM 1x11 version
Pretty sure that sram one is pretty expensive though....a conversion can be done on the standard orbea for much cheaper.....just by removing the 2 chainrings upfront, adding a single and then using a wolf tooth roadlink and larger cassette....all those things I already have in my huge parts box in the man cave

Scaleyback

Veteran

Hi Peter,
I am still testing myself and the bike to see what it/we are capable of. It seems on flatish ground I get around 1 mile per 1% of battery in level 1.
For the first 10 miles of my outward leg today I used 20% of the battery and after 19 miles I had used 32% of the battery. Quite a lot of climbing but it was the wind that was a big factor, in my face for 19 miles and if that was an 8% wind I’m a dutchman. Coming home with a favourable wind I did 21 miles for a further 17% battery. Incidentally on an unassisted bike after 19 miles into that wind I would have probably been pretty knackered ?
Now I need to do some rides in level 2 and get some idea of battery use.
Yes, disappointed with the app, today was the 1st time I have had problems.
I stopped each time it crashed and tried to save the ride (failed) and restarted
the app but I am not making a habit of that.
I have asked ebikemotion about the crashes so I await their reply.
Regards.
Roy

Scaleyback

Veteran
A mate used there Ribble sle for a ride the other weekend, I think it's the same electrics as the Gain. 86 miles only using the motor on the hills, got back to the pub he still had 30% left in the battery.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2234437460

Yes derrick, Ribble SLe has the same ebikemotion electrics as the Gain (and there are others) I test rode the SLe (around Ribble's car park) before buying my Gain.
I can well believe your mates mileage on the Gain based on my limited experience. 'Lesser' riders, and I do not use the term pejoratively
are not going to achieve anything like that mileage of course. I believe the 3 assist levels on these bikes are rated 30%, 60% and 100% battery drain,
plus stronger riders are going to be above the 15.5mph assist cut-off for longer. For the right rider it seems a great system.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Yes derrick, Ribble SLe has the same ebikemotion electrics as the Gain (and there are others) I test rode the SLe (around Ribble's car park) before buying my Gain.
I can well believe your mates mileage on the Gain based on my limited experience. 'Lesser' riders, and I do not use the term pejoratively
are not going to achieve anything like that mileage of course. I believe the 3 assist levels on these bikes are rated 30%, 60% and 100% battery drain,
plus stronger riders are going to be above the 15.5mph assist cut-off for longer. For the right rider it seems a great system.
Yes its great for Paul. It enables him to do the longer rides. I am trying to talk my other half onto one.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
29miles/46.7km club ride this morning, 49% charge used - so that's roughly 60 miles/96km range. Being a 'lesser' (no offence taken!) rider, I'm obviously using more assistance than those with functioning legs. Not a very hilly ride today but I still needed to use level 1 assistance throughout plus level 2 when necessary. Level 3 only on the steeper bits - hardly at all today. Riding with the club much of the ride was at 14+ mph pace, and a lot at over the 15mph cut off - hard work for me as I can no longer ride a conventional bike for more than very few miles before my legs fail me, so riding without any assistance is not really possible for me.

Scaleyback

Veteran
29miles/46.7km club ride this morning, 49% charge used - so that's roughly 60 miles/96km range. Being a 'lesser' (no offence taken!) rider, I'm obviously using more assistance than those with functioning legs. Not a very hilly ride today but I still needed to use level 1 assistance throughout plus level 2 when necessary. Level 3 only on the steeper bits - hardly at all today. Riding with the club much of the ride was at 14+ mph pace, and a lot at over the 15mph cut off - hard work for me as I can no longer ride a conventional bike for more than very few miles before my legs fail me, so riding without any assistance is not really possible for me.

That is also a very healthy mileage Peter leaving plenty of battery reserve for you. Well done on your ride and for refusing to ‘give in’ when many with less excuse retire to their couch.

NickWi

Guru
I’m a week late with this, but it was my D20 1st Birthday last week, so he’s my thoughts and observations on one-years ownership and approx 1,500miles of riding. No particular order, just as thoughts come to mind.

i. My bike came with 40mm Kenda Flintridge gravel tyres, absolutely horrible on the road, it felt like riding through treacle. I changed them to a pair of 32mm Marathon Plus; V heavy and a dull ride. In the end I swapped to a pair of 28mm Pirelli P Zero 4S and they’re great. I knew the bike would come with 40mm mixed use tyres and I knew I was going to have to change them to make the bike what I wanted, but it was the right spec, at the right price (and given that Gains were rarer than rocking horse do doos at the time), it was both in stock and thet dealer was offering an Easter holiday 10% dscount I snapped it up knowing I’d have to make a couples changes to suit my use.

ii. Tyres (and changing saddle) aside, I’ve left the main components stock and everything still goes, starts, stops as it should. The groupset is Sram Riva l (1x11) and year later it’s clicking as smooth, fast and accurate as the day I got it. The OEM saddle is a good one, (Prologo Kappa) and it might suit some, but it’s not the shape of my bum.

iii. Paint. Mines a bright Orange one and the paint isn’t a robust as it should be. I’ve several chips where I’ve accidently caught the frame when taking off my front light. That said, everything washes down and cleans & polishes up nicely.

iv. Accessories. I’ve added a pair of Crud Roadracer MK3 mudgaurds, a black alloy rack (sorry can’t remember the make) as well as a rackpack bag and the usual lights, bottle cages and computer mounts.

v. Ebikemotion App. Used it a few times to start with but it drained the battery faster than stolen Corsa on a Saturday night. I now only ever use it, out of curiosity really, to so see what’s left in the battery post ride. I’m not bothered at all by the data it produces about how much power/assistance you were using and when. Interesting to start off with, but I rapidly lost interest. The Cadence sensor is hopelessly inaccurate.

The ebikemotion app also has an auto function to automatically change the assistance level depending on your heart rate, provided of course you’ve paired your HMR to your phone. It’s rubbish. For me it didn’t kick in early enough on a hill then continues to give full assistance once you’re over the top of the hill. Maybe I didn’t explore settings full, but a manual change in anticipation of a hill does it for me.

vi. Talking of changing power assistance levels, I agree with the Top Tube button being a bit of phaff, but you do get used to it, however it would take leap of the imagination to design something better.

vii. Still talking about Power Settings, I reduce the power of the lowest power setting to either 50% or 75% depending on the hilliness of the ride. I’ve kept level 2 & 3 at 100% on the grounds I’m riding an ebike FFS and what’s the point of lugging round all that extra weight if you can’t put the bugger into full power and make those hills easier.

viii. Range, pretty much what Orbea claim, though it’s bit less in cold temperatures. As long as you remember it's an electrically assisted bike rather than and electric powered bike you'll be okay.

ix. Rival 1 Hydraulic Disc Brakes; Bloody Brilliant, the best brakes I’ve ever had!

x. What don’t I like? Not that much really. As mentioned above changing the power lever is a bit of a phaff, but as I also said, you get used to it. It of course weighs in at much more than any modern road bike, but at 13.5kg it’s no more than my old 531st touring bike and I’ve pedalled across large parts of France and the Alps on that without regret. Removing the rear wheel isn’t as easy as on a steam powered bike, but no worse than any hub geared bike, however one of the most annoying things are the questions. Is that and ebike? Where’s the battery, is that really the motor, what’s the range, how heavy is it and many many more. I don’t mind answering them, but maybe I should approach Orbea and ask for some commission.

As I said these as just my ramblings and apologies for the length of the post, but if you’re thinking of buying an Orbea Gain I’d thoroughly recommend it. It is as Orbea say, designed to enhance your ride, not dominate it.

Last edited:

Scaleyback

Veteran
I’m a week late with this, but it was my D20 1st Birthday last week, so he’s my thoughts and observations on one-years ownership and approx 1,500miles of riding. No particular order, just as thoughts come to mind.

Nice write up NickWi,

Good to hear you are still happy with the bike after 1,500 miles. I have only put 200+ on mine but so far like you I am happy. I would even go
so far as to say very impressed.
" Still talking about Power Settings, I reduce the power of the lowest power setting to either 50% or 75% depending on the hilliness of the ride. "

I seem to remember reading something about that, can you remind me how it's done please ?

" Ebikemotion App. Used it a few times to start with but it drained the battery faster than stolen Corsa on a Saturday night. "

Does it really ? How do you prove that, ? do the exact same ride twice in the same conditions (difficult I guess) once with the app and once without ?

NickWi

Guru
To change the power assist levels, first you've got to have your phone paired to the bike othewise the option isn't listed. So pair, go to Settings (at the bottom of the list on my Android device) and Engine Settings (below Connect to EBM on Andraoid). You get a warning, then it shows you a bar graph type diagram. Edit, (top right on Android), tap on which assistance level you want to change and adjust the slider across the bottom. Finally Save, again top right. It probably took longer to type it out han it does to do.

Ref Ebikemotion App; I guess battery life depends on your phone ,condition of the battery within and what else your phone is doing in the background. My Samsung S5 is getting on a bit now and it's still on it's original battery, but connected it only lasts an hour at most. Maybe newer phones with better condition and/or bigger batteries are better, I don't know and I've got nothing else to compare it to, but as I said, I've given up using the app whilst riding so it's not a concern.

Top Bottom