Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I was reluctant at first, because of the investment, but having only done 3 rides, totalling 60 miles, I can already say that I don't regret it. I am really enjoying riding the Gain, more so than a non powered road bike. Although, I am getting knee pain in my right knee so will probably need to go for a bike fit.

Still, I wouldn't buy a £2k motorcycle without test riding it.............I have found the thread very interesting but I'd need to test ride one. I don't need an e-bike to cycle to work, but the Gain appears to enable me to arrive non-sweaty which is what I am after. I have long and challenging hill leading to my work.

Anybody near Leeds/Bradford with an Orbea Gain?:okay:

MarkF

Guru
Just sent an email to Chevin Cycles, £50 (refundable off a purchase) seems a good deal to me for full days test ride. Here's hoping they have a Gain demo in stock.:okay:

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Just sent an email to Chevin Cycles, £50 (refundable off a purchase) seems a good deal to me for full days test ride. Here's hoping they have a Gain demo in stock.:okay:
I see they have an ex demo one on sale - size L

Scaleyback

Veteran
Mark, I am just south of Richmond, North Yorks, just off A1M. That makes me about 50 miles from Leeds. If you fancy a day out and don’t mind the travelling I am happy to give you time on my D30 Orbea Gain. I would accompany you on my other (unassisted) road bike. This is a small size, I am about 5’9” with a 31” inside leg. Still plenty of adjustment in the bike.

Storck

Still, I wouldn't buy a £2k motorcycle without test riding it.............I have found the thread very interesting but I'd need to test ride one. I don't need an e-bike to cycle to work, but the Gain appears to enable me to arrive non-sweaty which is what I am after. I have long and challenging hill leading to my work.

Anybody near Leeds/Bradford with an Orbea Gain?:okay:

Not sure you would arrive totally dry? You still have to put some effort in, even with max assist working for you.

MarkF

Guru
Mark, I am just south of Richmond, North Yorks, just off A1M. That makes me about 50 miles from Leeds. If you fancy a day out and don’t mind the travelling I am happy to give you time on my D30 Orbea Gain. I would accompany you on my other (unassisted) road bike. This is a small size, I am about 5’9” with a 31” inside leg. Still plenty of adjustment in the bike.
That's very kind of you. I will be a M/L at 6'1" but would at least get experience of the Gain. I'll wait for Chevin's reply and get back to you.:okay:

Southernguns

My mistake, From your previous post I did not realise that it was the test ride that was the issue, I thought it was that actual cost of the bike. I misunderstood your post - sorry. I would also not buy any motorbike, regardless of cost, without a test ride - and I have owned a lot of motorbikes over the years. Anyway, to reiterate what Storck said - it is unlikely you would arrive at work non sweaty on the Gain as it does not have the power of the 500W and 700W electric bikes. Due to the lower level of power (I think its 250W) you still have to put in the effort. It generally encourages you to put in a similar amount of effort as on a non powered bike, but you just go faster. I guess if you had it in level 3 assist mode and could restrain the urge to go "fast" up Otley Chevin then maybe you would be less sweaty - but you would have to have more will power than I have (probably not hard - I have been trying to give up chocolate for years but the longest I have managed is 3 days!).

Storck

My mistake, From your previous post I did not realise that it was the test ride that was the issue, I thought it was that actual cost of the bike. I misunderstood your post - sorry. I would also not buy any motorbike, regardless of cost, without a test ride - and I have owned a lot of motorbikes over the years. Anyway, to reiterate what Storck said - it is unlikely you would arrive at work non sweaty on the Gain as it does not have the power of the 500W and 700W electric bikes. Due to the lower level of power (I think its 250W) you still have to put in the effort. It generally encourages you to put in a similar amount of effort as on a non powered bike, but you just go faster. I guess if you had it in level 3 assist mode and could restrain the urge to go "fast" up Otley Chevin then maybe you would be less sweaty - but you would have to have more will power than I have (probably not hard - I have been trying to give up chocolate for years but the longest I have managed is 3 days!).

Does Caramac count as chocolate? Always liked it since school days. And that was a loooong time ago.

Top Bottom