Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TouchingCloth

Regular
Your correct Young. If I require no assist I still ride the bike switched on in mode 0. I've never experienced the drag, that some others describe, be it dropping down assist or freewheeling downhill. Also have a Samsung Edge 7, after connecting to bike I put phone in standby mode, rides of 3 hours have little impact on battery.
Hi Storck,
Battery life on the phone is fine if I have the app running in the background along with strava. It really drained it when I left the monitor on, to use it as a map/speedo/battery indicator. I'm now confident that despite my current lack of fittness I'm not going to run the battery down to fast. I'm happy to use the coloured ring on the iwoc button to give me my battey life.

Storck

New EBIKEMOTION app update available for android user's.

Southernguns

- BTW I understand it's not good practice to ride with the motor actually switched off.
Interesting and good to know as I, typically, am in the wrong here - I often ride the flats and declines with it turned off. Any ideas on why we should not be riding with the power turned off?

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Interesting and good to know as I, typically, am in the wrong here - I often ride the flats and declines with it turned off. Any ideas on why we should not be riding with the power turned off?
I have always ridden with the power on, scrolling to the '0' setting if no assistance required, but others have reported various issues riding with power completely off. Sorry I can't be more specific, you'd have to trawl through the various Orbea Gain threads for details - also on pedelecs and EBR.

Southernguns

I have always ridden with the power on, scrolling to the '0' setting if no assistance required, but others have reported various issues riding with power completely off. Sorry I can't be more specific, you'd have to trawl through the various Orbea Gain threads for details - also on pedelecs and EBR.
Thanks for the reply, Young. I have never had any issues but I guess it is no hassle to have it on the '0' setting. I will start doing that from now on. Better safe than sorry

TouchingCloth

Regular
Hi Southerners,
I have not had mine long but it rides perfect when not switched on, though the extra weight of the motor/battery was soon felt on anything less than flat or a head wind. I also switched off completely when trying to eliminate the drag I'd been suffering. This worked but disconnected me from the emotion app. That was the only downside for me thus far.
After reading through this very informative thread I now have it switched on at all times, it uses little or no power from the battery when in zero mode so no point in leaving it off.
My drag issues are diminishing as I learn to ride past the peak in top assistance. Once I have reached a reasonable speed, changing to zero or level 1 assistance is far less troublesome.

Storck

Hi Southerners,
I have not had mine long but it rides perfect when not switched on, though the extra weight of the motor/battery was soon felt on anything less than flat or a head wind. I also switched off completely when trying to eliminate the drag I'd been suffering. This worked but disconnected me from the emotion app. That was the only downside for me thus far.
After reading through this very informative thread I now have it switched on at all times, it uses little or no power from the battery when in zero mode so no point in leaving it off.
My drag issues are diminishing as I learn to ride past the peak in top assistance. Once I have reached a reasonable speed, changing to zero or level 1 assistance is far less troublesome.

It took a number of rides, before I worked out the most efficient way for me to get the most out of the bike given my riding style and preferences.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Thanks for the reply, Young. I have never had any issues but I guess it is no hassle to have it on the '0' setting. I will start doing that from now on. Better safe than sorry

Cannot say I have ever read anything about 'issues' when riding with the power off. Not sure why you would do that ? :wacko: unless you wanted to tackle a hill 'unassisted' of course.

Southernguns

Hi Southerners,
After reading through this very informative thread I now have it switched on at all times, it uses little or no power from the battery when in zero mode so no point in leaving it off...

Cannot say I have ever read anything about 'issues' when riding with the power off. Not sure why you would do that ? :wacko: unless you wanted to tackle a hill 'unassisted' of course.

Thanks for the replies, Touchingcloth and Scaley. And TouchingCloth welcome to the community. I am glad you are enjoying the Gain experience. It has been a godsend for me.

Living at the top of a hill (the only way is down) I often jump on the bike and start cycling without thinking about turning it on. I forget about it until I hit a hill whereupon I notice how heavy the bike is and how much my back, hip and knee hurt. I turn it on to get up the hill then rather than press the iWoc button repeatedly to cycle through the lights to setting '0' I just turn it off. I guess it is only laziness. It is not until later into the ride as I tire that I leave it on permanently.

Touchingcloth, I don't use the emotion app other than at the end of a ride to see how much battery power is left. Although the app is useful, I have a garmin triathlon watch which records my route and uploads the data to Strava automatically for me, and I use that for keeping a record of my cycles, runs and swims so that it is all in one place. I use a Mio Cycle as a gps during my cycle with my route uploaded onto it which I create in Komoot. The Mio Cycle has all the data I need for my ride and I figure that when out on the ride there is nothing I can do about how much battery power I have left so there is little point worrying about it or even knowing, so all of this negates the need for the emotion app. Thus, I never use it on a ride anymore.

With regards to the drag after using setting '3', yes I get that and I notice it considerably. The only thing that I have found that works for me to get around the issue is, once over the hill, to set the iWoc to setting '2' for 30 seconds or so and then adjust it to the setting I want.

Last edited:
Did a stupid thing this morning. Stripped the threads on the M12 rear axle nut on my Gain D30. I've ordered a replacement through my local dealer who has to get it from Spain, which in the current situation might take a while. Does anyone know the thread pitch of the axle so I could get a temporary nut from a UK engineering supplier or maybe point to an Orbea dealer who might have one in stock.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Thanks Peter,
I rarely use the app apart from checking the battery charge when it falls 'into the red' I have noticed a few times my Moto G6 play battery has severely depleted in an unusually short time. (It usually lasts me days ! ) I need to check this carefully but my instinct tells me it is only after I have connected via the 'app' I'm wondering if somehow the 'app' software is continuing to drain the battery when not in use. I shall try shutting the phone down and restarting it every time I use the 'app' This should 'kill' any running software. If this cures the battery drainage problem then . . . . eureka.

Top Bottom