Ortlieb panniers - are the clips a weak point?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
I got a pair of rear Ortlieb roller classics recently for a trip to Scotland. The material and general design seemed suitably tough and waterproof, but I was unimpressed with the clips that fix them to the rack which seemed to flex a lot and occasionally creak where they contact the metal rack, and to cap it all one of the little tabs that secure the clips underneath the rack bars has snapped off - see picture: it is present in the far yellow circle, but snapped off in the near one
upload_2016-8-16_22-56-58.png

It may or may not have been linked to an off I had where the storm-force winds blew me over one day, but nevertheless the clips seemed to me to be rather flimsy compared to, say, Altura bags, and not what I'd expected from the reputation of Ortlieb.
Is there a known weakness here with Ortlieb bags, or am I being unreasonable and not careful enough with my stuff?

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
A friend's just got back from three and a half years touring round the world. His bike had to be welded twice and I lost count of the number of problems he had with the tent, but his four Ortlieb panniers endured everything thrown at them.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Things happen to damage even the best-built stuff. And that's available as a replacement part, I'm sure. FWIW, zero issues with my Back Roller City set so far.....

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've had Back Roller Classics for six years. The clips have worked faultlessly. It always amazes me that I can clip in and out a 6kg pannier in less than five seconds.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
they do look a bit flimsy but mine have worked faultlessly for 12000+ commuting miles; so I guess that's 2000 odd cycles of removal and replace

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Are you sure it is snapped and not stuck?
No, snapped off. I found the end of it on the floor near where I unpacked that day. I wonder if the break started earlier when I was riding, and maybe accounted for some of the creaking. Hard to know, but the plastic is now sheared off at that point.

I've used ours for 4 years, with no issues, and would recommend them totally. I'm certain yours can be repaired quite easily, but wonder how that broke - could you hav attached it incorrectly maybe?

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
I've used ours for 4 years, with no issues, and would recommend them totally. I'm certain yours can be repaired quite easily, but wonder how that broke - could you have attached it incorrectly maybe?
Hard to know, but it's not a complicated assembly so I can't really see how. But breaking within 7 days does seem surprising - even with the one fall (at slow speed) I don't think they were exposed to more stress than touring panniers would normally be.
I know I can get replacement clips, but I do intend to write to Ortlieb to see if they have anything to say about it.

mythste

Veteran
Echo above, absoloutely abused a pair of Back Classics and after probably 3000 miles of being shlepped without a care, still as good as new.

They do creak occasionally but I've actually managed to put this down to road grit rubbing between the rack and the plastic parts on the pannier. Quick once over with a baby wipe gets them quiet again.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
No problem with my Ortliebs in over 4 years of use. I have occasionally mounted one incorrectly and wonder if this has been the cause of your break. To explain: I have to angle my panniers towards the rear of the bike when fitting, so that I can engage the low hook on one of the rack supports. Sometimes I get the rear spring fastener in place before dropping the front one down but because the weight's been taken off, the front spring fastener has already closed. Luckily I've spotted it and never ridden with it like that.

Is it possible you've done that with a heavy pannier and it's snapped when the closed tab met the rack?

GC

e-rider

crappy member
I got a pair of rear Ortlieb roller classics recently for a trip to Scotland. The material and general design seemed suitably tough and waterproof, but I was unimpressed with the clips that fix them to the rack which seemed to flex a lot and occasionally creak where they contact the metal rack, and to cap it all one of the little tabs that secure the clips underneath the rack bars has snapped off - see picture: it is present in the far yellow circle, but snapped off in the near one
View attachment 139947
It may or may not have been linked to an off I had where the storm-force winds blew me over one day, but nevertheless the clips seemed to me to be rather flimsy compared to, say, Altura bags, and not what I'd expected from the reputation of Ortlieb.
Is there a known weakness here with Ortlieb bags, or am I being unreasonable and not careful enough with my stuff?
you have the latest version of the ortlieb back roller classics which to me, don't look as tough as older versions - perhaps this is why? Or maybe you need to be more careful with your kit?

Gez73

Veteran
I did the same caught it on a rucksack cover strap and pulled without realising. and got replacement straps. If you want my undamaged clip you can have it. I assume undoing the small screw will release the clip from the strap. Should work. Gez

Attachments

• 14717812508091303653921.jpg
    14717812508091303653921.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 88
Top Bottom