Ortlieb panniers or ...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I could weigh them mudsticks but judging by the mounting system they are quite an old model so I use them for shopping, not touring. I would check online, if all else fails on the ortlieb site. To tell the truth, I don't think weight is an issue with touring panniers, definitely not with my style if packing.

Thanks Blue Hills I'm just being lazy.. More online research needed.

But can't agree re weight.. You can go further (or even the same distance) for much less effort, with reduced weight of stuff..

Plus you don't have to spend time managing it all.
Keeping track of four stoves, must be a full time job for you, on the road :bicycle:

(Where's our emoticon with panniers please mods??)

Now now mudsticks, the four stove mini tour was a one off :smile:

froze

Über Member
@froze, not sure where you are getting reports of ortlieb's wearing out after 2 years from. Had my bikepacker pluses for getting on for 20 years. Still look good as new. I wouldn't use semi waterproof panniers of any sort for touring. They often get put down on wet ground and if i am wildcamping or bivvying they are sometimes just left out in heavy rain. Which they are fine with.

Your experience/feedback doesn't seem to match that of many folk on here. Or other touring forums.

I just saw this, sorry it took so long. Apparently there were certain years of versions that were having wear issues on the corners, the older ones were bulletproof; see: https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/how-to-repair-ortlieb-pannier-fabric/
and: https://cyclocamping.com/blog/2016/01/29/field-test-ortlieb-back-roller-classic/

I didn't mean to imply that Ortliebs are a junk bag, no, I think they are indeed among the best, I just don't think they're the best, but I don't think any bag is coming out ahead as the best, just different styles of bags that are similar to others that tie them for the best.

Top Bottom