1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ortlieb panniers or ...?

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by Tim330, 18 Dec 2017.

1. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

Yes, agree. I have front roller c!assics and bike packer rears and find the bike packers way easier. This might be partly because the rears are the plus material which i think is worth the extra** as it is both lighter and more flexible/easier to wrestle with, whilst i understand actually being stronger. ** May not be the case with the front bikepacker pluses, called the "sport" or something. A pretty fearsome price for small front panniers these days, so might stick with my front roller classics which also serve as occasional rear panniers, they are great around town for holding my heavy D lock. Don't think you can go far wrong with ortliebs.
  2. PJ520

PJ520 New Member

One grouse about Ortliebs is that they don't have compartments - everything is in one bag making it difficult to find anything.The answer to that that is packing cubes like those made by Eagle Creek
    Heltor Chasca likes this.
  3. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

No need to spend that much. I have a few cubes and bought some more to use with the ortliebs, but now don't use them. They sure aren't going to stay anything like a cube once rammed into the panniers. I find various sizes of mesh bags with tops fastened with a cord and toggle far more practical and flexible. And way cheaper.
    Heltor Chasca and Adrian like this.
  4. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

5. Adrian

Adrian Heed the elf's wisdom

Why are these things called cubes?
  6. Regulator

Regulator Not a SPM snowflake.

Mine have a mesh inner compartment. That said, clothes tend to get packed into compression dry sacks before being packed anyway.
  7. aegis

aegis Senior Member

8. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

I have a couple of Amazon’s cubes and they are great. However my old mesh kindling bags are even better. And they are orange. I like orange.
    Blue Hills likes this.
  9. Kurious

Kurious New Member

Switching from the Karrimor Kalahari, I thought I would miss the external pockets, but not at all. I still take drybags to avoid damp contamination when throwing in damp stuff.
    Second the idea of gaffa taping any rubbing areas on the racks.
    Remained waterproof after a vicious fight with an Alp (the Alp won) although one detached completely from the rack & did some off-piste downhilling on its own.
    Tough old things.
  10. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

Which pannier?

Did it use the QL2 hooks where the insert goes in from the bottom?