Ortlieb panniers or ...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No need to spend that much. I have a few cubes and bought some more to use with the ortliebs, but now don't use them. They sure aren't going to stay anything like a cube once rammed into the panniers. I find various sizes of mesh bags with tops fastened with a cord and toggle far more practical and flexible. And way cheaper.

aegis

[QUOTE 5154081, member: 45"]Cheap...

AmazonBasics Packing Cubes - Small, Medium, Large, and Slim (4-Piece Set), Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014VBGUCA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_sT.HAb623KXFQ[/QUOTE]

But not as cheap as Ikea.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...ravel/förfina-pack-bag-set-of-6-art-90328178/

Kurious

Switching from the Karrimor Kalahari, I thought I would miss the external pockets, but not at all. I still take drybags to avoid damp contamination when throwing in damp stuff.
Second the idea of gaffa taping any rubbing areas on the racks.
Remained waterproof after a vicious fight with an Alp (the Alp won) although one detached completely from the rack & did some off-piste downhilling on its own.
Tough old things.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It all depends how much gear you take with you. That is your starting point.

I used to ride with Ortleib back rollers. They are massive and I would make sure I filled them because I had the space. Then I reduced the kit and only used front rollers on the back. Much better. Then I reduced the kit even more. I now have a Restrap holster with a drybag on the back and a home made holster on the front with a drybag. I can travel indefinately with that.

If you are carrying cooking and camping kit you obviusly need more storage space. But luggage on a bike are like cupboards at home. The bigger they are. The more stuff you will find to put in them. If you dont have the space, you need to be more selective.

I used to ride with Ortleib back rollers. They are massive and I would make sure I filled them because I had the space. Then I reduced the kit and only used front rollers on the back. Much better. Then I reduced the kit even more. I now have a Restrap holster with a drybag on the back and a home made holster on the front with a drybag. I can travel indefinately with that.

If you are carrying cooking and camping kit you obviusly need more storage space. But luggage on a bike are like cupboards at home. The bigger they are. The more stuff you will find to put in them. If you dont have the space, you need to be more selective.

Hi Steve,
I'm curious about how you did this.
Did you reduce the size/volume of the gear (eg smaller tent/sleeping mat etc.) or
Did you reduce the amount of gear? eg drop cooking gear?

Thanks!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

I would agree - the bigger the bags the more you take -

This is my set up including tent, sleeping bag, and mat, stove, food for at least three days , electricals. book, spare clothes, including all waterproofs, ( this is Scotland after all) and a rudimentry repar kit and so forth... There's quite a lot of laundry hanging off the back there - mobile clothes line type effect !!

Total weight inc bags not in excess of 12 kg

View attachment 443356

Upping the ante now

A glamorous woman standing next to my bike - in front of some water

It also means you can load the whole lot easily onto a train - and even hang it up fully clothed in one of them dinky bike wardrobes as in Virgin trains.

Anything that really needs to stay dry goes in a dry bag - even though the back ones are allegedly waterproof - you've still got to get the stuff to the tent - and i prefer to keep the bags on the bike .

I think I'm ready to replace the front panniers - mainly due to their age - but they don't need to be any larger.

I've not yet had the luck to get away for more than about 18 days at a time yet - but i see no reason why the same luggage wouldn't do me for much longer trips .

Can't help but ask who the woman is.

As for the bike loading, I carry way more than that on the rear when touring :smile:

My first mini tour I think I took three or four stoves :smile:

though I only now and again front panniers.

Am seriously thinking of getting ortleibs monster rears.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s74p3427/ORTLIEB-Back-Roller-Pro-Plus

as my very nice bikepacker pluse rears are only 40 litres the pair.

Why ortlieb in their germanic wisdom don't do something between these and the monsters I don't know.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Can't help but ask who the woman is.

As for the bike loading, I carry way more than that on the rear when touring :smile:

My first mini tour I think I took three or four stoves :smile:

though I only now and again front panniers.

Am seriously thinking of getting ortleibs monster rears.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s74p3427/ORTLIEB-Back-Roller-Pro-Plus

as my very nice bikepacker pluse rears are only 40 litres the pair.

Why ortlieb in their germanic wisdom don't do something between these and the monsters I don't know.

Why on earth did you take three or four stoves ??

I do a bit of rudimentary cooking along the way, a few sauteed veg before adding dried ingredients - and so on but i don't cater for more than just me ..

I'm quite savouring all the possibilities of new front panniers though - i'm not a big buyer of gear usually - so when i do its a big deal.
i'm inexplicably drawn to those dotty ones the Americans have - I know its just for show n all - but still.

the picture caption says - its a glamorous woman - who liked the idea of standing next to my bike in front of some water :smile:

Will remember that line.

If I get my panniers chucked in the lake will blame you :smile:

The multiple stoves - they were different systems and I was trying to ensure that I was covered. One of the gas cartridge top stoves was from my car camping days - very good but seemed to be made of cast iron. These days I take a small remote gas stove (with preheat coil) and a collection of small adaptors which means I can use four different types of gas cannister. Plus a Trangia with a meths bottle on the underside bottle mount using the wonderful Bike Buddy. For added resilience/redundancy/ability to sit out a nuclear winter I did also buy a Trangia gas adaptor but haven't taken that yet. If all that fails, in the UK at least, my plan would be to pedal like fury to the nearest spoons.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Ah a belt and braces kinda guy ..

I'm afraid i like to live life on the edge - and take only one very lightweight meths stove set up - Trangia are heavy

i too make merry with any available eateries along the way.

Sorry - why is it that you are going to get your panniers chucked in a lake??

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Hi Steve,
I'm curious about how you did this.
Did you reduce the size/volume of the gear (eg smaller tent/sleeping mat etc.) or
Did you reduce the amount of gear? eg drop cooking gear?

Thanks!
I dont take a tent. I have a bivvy bag and a poncho which doubles up as a basha. my airbed is an Exped Air ultra light. I found a lot of the heavy kit I carried was electrical charging gear. I now have a SON 28 dynamo and an Igaro D1 and so I dont need charging kit.

Top Bottom