Out of the box thinking RE: Century rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vegan1

I've noted that there are a few people who have posted about doing longish rides with a thought to doing their first imperial ton.

This may sound a bit strange because for some it's not conducive to what a bike ride is, alone with nature listening to the birds singing etc, But for those wanting to do a longer distance, maybe even a PB or looking for your first ton I recommend looking at doing this on major A and B roads in the first instance. Having just come back from doing a 200k ride in 6 hours 15 minutes main roads roll better, it's easier to get into a rhythm with your pedalling, in some respects they are safer and there is usually a multitude of BP/Tesco garages to re-supply regarding re-filling bidons and munching on some bananas.

Just a thought.

hoopdriver

Guru
I have done many a century ride and to me nothing is more conducive to a long day in the saddle than lovely countryside, peaceful roads and the ability to hear the small sounds that we miss when we zoom along in sealed up automobiles. On a quiet road, in such circumstances, I find I can get into a relaxed rythym and the miles just slide by...

Main roads are, to me, just a recipe for stress - the antithesis of a good ride.

OP
OP
V

Vegan1

Why on earth would you want busy main roads with thousands of cars an hour going past your right elbow, belching exhaust in your face, when you could ride in some tranquility in the countryside? Oh yes............I forgot........Strava.

I'd would not say it was thousands. For me main roads just roll better. I don't believe I could have done 200k in 6:15 on country roads.

On main roads I can let the bike go going downhill and knock on the door of 50-55mph. The couple of times I've tried this on a country lane I've been too cautious regarding a vehicle coming in the opposite direction and have had to curb my speed.

I guess its horses for courses.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've noted that there are a few people who have posted about doing longish rides with a thought to doing their first imperial ton.

This may sound a bit strange because for some it's not conducive to what a bike ride is, alone with nature listening to the birds singing etc, But for those wanting to do a longer distance, maybe even a PB or looking for your first ton I recommend looking at doing this on major A and B roads in the first instance. Having just come back from doing a 200k ride in 6 hours 15 minutes main roads roll better, it's easier to get into a rhythm with your pedalling, in some respects they are safer and there is usually a multitude of BP/Tesco garages to re-supply regarding re-filling bidons and munching on some bananas.

Just a thought.
Major A roads? For your first imperial ton? Really? And how much refuelling do you really need to do on a day ride? Why not just stop and eat a normal meal in a country pub?

OP
OP
V

Vegan1

Major A roads? For your first imperial ton? Really? And how much refuelling do you really need to do on a day ride? Why not just stop and eat a normal meal in a country pub?

Time innit. I'm going on the presumption that a first ton would take a longish time, so frequent 10 minute stops makes sense over one or two longer stops.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I would rather spend 6 hours 15 minutes using a turbo trainer if I were interested in easy rolling and rhythmic pedalling and didn't care about the scenery!

I can spend 12+ hours riding in the countryside and not get bored, but 15 minutes of heavy traffic is enough to do my head in ... :wacko:
That long? Takes me less than five.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The calmed, resigned, declassified A roads are better than A roads IMO. Other than that, back roads and village shops and pubs rather than main roads and chain petrol merchants every time.

Even better is that around here, back road routes are often shorter than the few main roads we have, but narrow enough to deter most motorists, so you get to go further away for your miles IYSWIM.

Top Bottom