Out of the box thinking RE: Century rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Having just come back from doing a 200k ride in 6 hours 15 minutes main roads roll better
it was a sub 5 hour century.
Cracking fast ride and hope you enjoyed it. Since you clearly want to share this ride, I have three questions:
How much climb?
What sort of bike?
Is 6:15 your rolling time and if so, what was your overall time (including the A road garage stops for food and water you mentioned)?

OP
OP
V

Vegan1

Cracking fast ride and hope you enjoyed it. Since you clearly want to share this ride, I have three questions:
How much climb?
What sort of bike?
Is 6:15 your rolling time and if so, what was your overall time (including the A road garage stops for food and water you mentioned)?

What I want to share is how good A roads are for a fast ton.

200 km in 6 hours 15 minutes.

What, was it downhill all the way?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToj-Ia2CP_3WPDU2OfmX4yImt55_IOhSP6YNPdRbz89-MFfqrt.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

View attachment 359088

It's 124 and a bit miles. Perfectly do-able in 6 1/4 hours. I've done the Manchester 100 and riding there and back in a similar time on 2 or 3 occasions. It was boring enough in parts as they weren't the most interesting roads, but all on main A roads or dual carriageway, no ta, I'd die of boredom. I also prefer hilly routes to flat.

Ajax Bay

Guru
a thought to doing their first imperial ton
What I want to share is how good A roads are for a fast ton.
A first ton or a fast ton? I think the primary requirement for a long ride is that it is on roads that a rider can enjoy. To do 161km takes time so worth keeping to roads where good progress can be made: B roads and the wider unclassified roads allow this, with a leavening of non-trunk A roads. Down in Devon we are lucky with a good minor road network which offers pseudo-infinite possibilities without needing to use A roads for more than a small percentage of the time - really for just linking the route together. For example this 100km.

OP
OP
V

Vegan1

Weather permitting it will be 200 miles this weekend on the same roads. I'll report back my findings if it's a viable option for those wanting to do thier first double imperial ton.

I've done double tons before but this will be the first time that I've chosen the route.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

I've gone under 8 hours for a 200 a few times, but that's at a relatively plodding audax pace, mostly on minor roads. I can well believe 6:15 as a credible time for someone riding against the clock. Fastest time allowed for a 200km audax would be about 6:40, and audax speeds aren't especially fast even at the top end.

I marshalled a 100 mile TT a couple of weeks ago on which the winner finished well inside four hours. It certainly wouldn't have taken him an extra two and a half hours to round it up to 200km.

It's 124 and a bit miles. Perfectly do-able in 6 1/4 hours. I've done the Manchester 100 and riding there and back in a similar time on 2 or 3 occasions. It was boring enough in parts as they weren't the most interesting roads, but all on main A roads or dual carriageway, no ta, I'd die of boredom. I also prefer hilly routes to flat.

I've gone under 8 hours for a 200 a few times, but that's at a relatively plodding audax pace, mostly on minor roads. I can well believe 6:15 as a credible time for someone riding against the clock. Fastest time allowed for a 200km audax would be about 6:40, and audax speeds aren't especially fast even at the top end.

I marshalled a 100 mile TT a couple of weeks ago on which the winner finished well inside four hours. It certainly wouldn't have taken him an extra two and a half hours to round it up to 200km.

Yebbut, this is Vegan1 (Jackanory) we're talking about here. :tired:

Top Bottom