Out of the box thinking RE: Century rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Why would you not carry the few beans you need for a 6 hour ride, done loads in these parts in the last and there was seldom a stop about to refuel at.

OP
OP
V

Vegan1

Why would you not carry the few beans you need for a 6 hour ride, done loads in these parts in the last and there was seldom a stop about to refuel at.

I did, but I need water. Got through 4 litres yesterday, just had another look at the numbers and it was a sub 5 hour century. Did not feel like to be honest, I feel okay today apart from some sunburn.

I agree with the op. I went for dinner with friends Saturday night. Ordered my food in advance, got both starter and main course at the same time. Ploughed through both in 5 minutes. Ate dessert whilst getting the bill and downed 2 glasses of wine whilst waiting for the credit card to take payment.

Boom, whole thing done in under 15 minutes and back home before my loser mates had even started eating!! Totally destroyed them. Record time. Bet they didn't have as much fun as me as they were there for ages apparently. Losers.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I agree with the op. I went for dinner with friends Saturday night. Ordered my food in advance, got both starter and main course at the same time. Ploughed through both in 5 minutes. Ate dessert whilst getting the bill and downed 2 glasses of wine whilst waiting for the credit card to take payment.

Boom, whole thing done in under 15 minutes and back home before my loser mates had even started eating!! Totally destroyed them. Record time. Bet they didn't have as much fun as me as they were there for ages apparentl. Losers.
Should have gone to the BP garage. Ginster's pasty, packet of crisps, chocolate milk. Bosch. Two minutes flat.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's the addition of "losers" which made me reread this in a Dead Ringers Donald Trump voice.

Boom, whole thing done in under 15 minutes and back home before my loser mates had even started eating!! Totally destroyed them. Record time. Bet they didn't have as much fun as me as they were there for ages apparentl. Losers.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
200k ride in 6 hours 15 minutes main roads roll better, it's easier to get into a rhythm with your pedalling, in some respects they are safer and there is usually a multitude of BP/Tesco garages to re-supply regarding re-filling bidons and munching on some bananas.

To finish in that time, you wouldn't have had a chance to stop anyway.

OP
OP
V

Vegan1

To finish in that time, you wouldn't have had a chance to stop anyway.

Stopped for 20 minutes at a garage to refill bidons and munch on two bananas and an extra large bag of ready salted crisps. Like I said in a previous post the ride time came just under six hours which meant a sub five hour century. Not expected - but I'll take it none the less.

Last edited:

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I've noted that there are a few people who have posted about doing longish rides with a thought to doing their first imperial ton.

This may sound a bit strange because for some it's not conducive to what a bike ride is, alone with nature listening to the birds singing etc, But for those wanting to do a longer distance, maybe even a PB or looking for your first ton I recommend looking at doing this on major A and B roads in the first instance. Having just come back from doing a 200k ride in 6 hours 15 minutes main roads roll better, it's easier to get into a rhythm with your pedalling, in some respects they are safer and there is usually a multitude of BP/Tesco garages to re-supply regarding re-filling bidons and munching on some bananas.

Just a thought.
It might be faster, and I have found harder to get lost on major roads but I prefer quieter roads as they're normally more scenic. I don't like completely dead roads, I prefer a bit of traffic to come along every now and then!

Top Bottom