Out today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I haven't been too sharp of late and have done very little cycling since the Dunwich Dynamo. Being a lovely sunny morning I thought I would have a gentle bimble down to High Beech in Epping Forest, a 20 mile round trip. I dread to think how I will be in the morning but will worry about that in the morning. It will have been worth it for a hot High Beech pasty.

Anyway I found out something. I was running my Cree T6 front light, just to run down the battery ready for a recharge. I decided to do something I have never done before with it and run it in flash mode. It wasn't long before I realised my computer doesn't like the flash mode. I realised this when the speedo hit 58mph. With the light on normal steady beam everything went back to normal. The computer was obviously reading the pulse signals as if they were coming from the sender. The computer is an Aldi Bikemate wireless jobbie, generally very reliable. It isn't a problem as I never normally use the light in flash mode, it is actually very rare I even use the light at all as I tend to not go out in the dark.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There's a lesson to be learned here: never go out after dark, too much excitement.

drummerbod

I had a Dell GX60 desktop computer at work. If my mobile was physically sat on it and I was just about to receive a call it would shut the computer off outright. RF\EMI will always do weird things to any computer if not shielded properly.

As a point of interest do wired computers display the same peculiarity does anyone know.
Not to my knowledge. We have seen this interference when cycling through wind turbine farms and passed/within 10 miles of a very low frequency radio antennae as well.

young Ed

Veteran
if it is the same T6 as mine
China_cree_t6_led_bicycle_lights_also_use_for_headlamp201111141647156.jpg

i am scared of using the flashing mode of above one in fear of giving drivers or anyone come to that an epileptic fit weather or not they have epilepsy! it's so bright and the flashing is in some weird 'pattern' that is just the sort that would cause a seizure/fit
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
if it is the same T6 as mine
China_cree_t6_led_bicycle_lights_also_use_for_headlamp201111141647156.jpg

i am scared of using the flashing mode of above one in fear of giving drivers or anyone come to that an epileptic fit weather or not they have epilepsy! it's so bright and the flashing is in some weird 'pattern' that is just the sort that would cause a seizure/fit
Cheers Ed

That is pretty much the same as mine apart from the fact mine has a smooth shiny reflector unlike your "mottled" one. Do you have three functions or five on it?

Top Bottom