Outer Hebrides - May 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’m sailing over from Oban on the 14th May. The only things I ever worry about are being warm and having food. Can I expect to find a shop every day or when I find one should I stock up for a few days. Probably doing around 40 mpd
As others have said shops are few and far between. Once you get to Lewis be aware very little is open on a Sunday. Check out where there are Co-ops and stock up so you have a couple of days reserve.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
We had a great time in 2016 (see my blog in signature) and are going back in June, this time with a tent so we can go with the flow. As long as you know food is never when you need it so stock up, be prepared for wind and rain and midges and ferry cancellations. Carry a spare tyre, spoke etc Everyone else has said all that!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
From @Hill Wimp: food and drink.

Croft 36 Northton Harris
Temple cafe Northton Harris
Talanamara neisabost Harris
North Harbour bistro scalpay Harris
Taigh chearsabhagh lochmaddy
Stepping stones balivanich. Benbecula
Grimsay community cente scotvein Grimsay
Cafe at Kallin Harbour Grimsay - Recommended!!
General store at Eriskay (plus 2 pubs)
Polo char inn Eriskay
Bernaray shop and bistro
Claddach kirkibost centre cafe
Westford inn north Uist
Lochboisdale hotel
The anchorage restaurant leverburgh
McClennans supermarket ballivianch benbecula
Coop at Sollas
Coop creagorry s. Uist/benbecula
Coop Dallibirg s uist

Excuse typing, chopped top of main texting finger!!

Hope that helps :-)
When I was last there, the Bay Centre at Lacklee, Harris (on the approach to Stockinish from the south) was also operating a cafe.

OldShep

Über Member
We had a great time in 2016 (see my blog in signature) and are going back in June, this time with a tent so we can go with the flow. As long as you know food is never when you need it so stock up, be prepared for wind and rain and midges and ferry cancellations. Carry a spare tyre, spoke etc Everyone else has said all that!
I’m enjoying reading your blog but I have to say that font is extremely hard work for older eyes. :wacko:

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran

That made for some lovely reading - thanks!

I've just managed to grab some cheap (ish) wayfarer food pouch things should things get really tight. I have a whole front pannier dedicated to food so I will stock up on fresh veg when I can and take plenty with me.

The rest of the group are living purely of those little jetboil gas stoves and freeze dried stuff. I can't wait for the morning where there is a fine drizzle and I have bacon jently sizzling with warmth...

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
EE2EB885-B5C3-4B3D-9E6B-0D67297BBEE4.jpeg
Nearly ready to go! Currently weighing in at a reasonably porky 35kg with a few odds and sods still to go.

:bicycle:

I see you are well prepared (and are definitely going to be eating better than your companions) but a water bottle may be subject to a certain pollution in that position.

If you are using meths for a Trangia (don't want to upscan thread too much in case I lose it) I can recommend a bikebuddy - for that's a perfect position for a meths bottle (though one person I encountered thought I was carrying a fire extinguisher!)

Ortieb do good water bladder things for carrying extra water in bags or atop racks.

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/ortlie...MI4KiV2eH64QIVVvhRCh2XaQu-EAQYAyABEgIYs_D_BwE

different sizes available.

enjoy your bacon.

I envy you - need to get back to that part of the world - last time I was in a car.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
I see you are well prepared (and are definitely going to be eating better than your companions) but a water bottle may be subject to a certain pollution in that position.

If you are using meths for a Trangia (don't want to upscan thread too much in case I lose it) I can recommend a bikebuddy - for that's a perfect position for a meths bottle (though one person I encountered thought I was carrying a fire extinguisher!)

Ortieb do good water bladder things for carrying extra water in bags or atop racks.

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/ortlie...MI4KiV2eH64QIVVvhRCh2XaQu-EAQYAyABEgIYs_D_BwE

different sizes available.

enjoy your bacon.

I envy you - need to get back to that part of the world - last time I was in a car.

The pollution point is an interesting one! And one I admit to not having thought about. The front mudguard is really long but perhaps I’ll keep that water bottle “shut” and use it only for boiled water.

Thanks!

iandg

Legendary Member
The pollution point is an interesting one! And one I admit to not having thought about. The front mudguard is really long but perhaps I’ll keep that water bottle “shut” and use it only for boiled water.

Thanks!

You can get bottles with caps the cover the drink nozzle - I use something similar when venturing off road without guards.

elite-corsa-new-elite-design-mit-schutzkappe-cycling-water-bottles.jpg

Attachments

• elite-thermoflasche-iceberg-cycling-water-bottles.jpg
    elite-thermoflasche-iceberg-cycling-water-bottles.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 9
Top Bottom