Over powered bikes that are resticted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Looks more like a motorbike than a motorbike. 🏍
It is one of the electric motor bikes, with something like 3kW of power.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Is that the type being discussed?

I had something completely different in my mind.

Probably a bike from someone such as Cyrusher, which looks like an 'ordinary' ebike.

The motor is described as '250w limited'.

A more honest description is it has a 750w Bafang hub motor, which is currently fitted to loads of Chinese bikes.

It will pull close to 30mph on the flat, no wind, without pedalling.

https://www.cyrusher.co.uk/products/kuattro-ebike

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Ăśber Member
Is that the type being discussed?

I had something completely different in my mind.

No more like this sort of thing
Fiido-T1-Utility-Electric-Bike_2_1000x.jpg

that come with 500w and 750w motors and a throttle and limited to 15.5 MPH. Lot of pentioners are buying them (in ignorance) to carry stuff to their allotments ect. The sellers dont point out UK ebike laws.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Ăśber Member
I can't see the police pulling you over to question if that things legal.
No. and that was sort of my point. especially if like me you are middle aged and riding it sensibly nobody is going to care. But then if you ever got into an accident where you or someone else got injured you could leave yourself open to be found liable because you had illegal equipment even if you had done nothing else wrong

I can't see the police pulling you over to question if that things legal.

Its only legal if the manufacturers have obtained EAPC approval for their approach of using restriction as a method to achieve 250w. If they have not then anyone that buys one has to submit it for approval themselves and theres no guarantee the Gov will accept motors restricted to 250w. In that event you now have a eMotorbike and a different set of laws apply.

Insurers will also have their own policies, its possible in the event of an accident any claim may be void.

I'll stick to 250w EAPC approved bikes, it's not worth the risk.

Interesting thread and shows the difference in countries and how hard it is to understand what is legal and what is not.

Here i commute 3 days a week on my ebike, the other days I’m travelling usually train or plane or even hire car but do also use the bike to go to the station or go to pick up the hire car, airport is too far away.

Luckily here Pedelecs (EPACS) are fully legal and in fact quite common, often see 3-5 each day on the way to work. For long range commutes or for those wanting to carry quite a lot of stuff they are excellent. Commute time by car for me is 25-27mins or 30-32mins on the bike where i usually average around 38kmh over the commute. My original plan was to be able to avoid changing clothes at work but that’s just not possible unless I’d like to really take my time and i prefer the workout 2 x p/day. Being able to carry plenty of stuff and also have capacity for shopping here and there is also useful but all that adds weight and in the end you need power to get all that moving.

The road tax on my e-bike is about ÂŁ30 a year, this also cover an insurance policy for 3rd party liability.

Started as an e-commuter almost exactly 12 months ago and have covered just over 5000km in the last year. Rain, snow, wind or what ever i take the bike, last winter -17Âş was the coldest and certainly tricky on some days.

A lot of fun and certainly i ride the e-bike to work much more than my colleagues who use a regular bike, they tend to be rather fair weather riders which i can certainly understand.

Slick

Guru
Probably a bike from someone such as Cyrusher, which looks like an 'ordinary' ebike.

The motor is described as '250w limited'.

A more honest description is it has a 750w Bafang hub motor, which is currently fitted to loads of Chinese bikes.

It will pull close to 30mph on the flat, no wind, without pedalling.

https://www.cyrusher.co.uk/products/kuattro-ebike

No more like this sort of thing
View attachment 703303

that come with 500w and 750w motors and a throttle and limited to 15.5 MPH. Lot of pentioners are buying them (in ignorance) to carry stuff to their allotments ect. The sellers dont point out UK ebike laws.
Look again at the attachment posted by @Mike_P definitely much more motorbike than either of your examples, even just going by the rear knobbly.

CXRAndy

Guru
Interesting thread and shows the difference in countries and how hard it is to understand what is legal and what is not.

Here i commute 3 days a week on my ebike, the other days I’m travelling usually train or plane or even hire car but do also use the bike to go to the station or go to pick up the hire car, airport is too far away.

Luckily here Pedelecs (EPACS) are fully legal and in fact quite common, often see 3-5 each day on the way to work. For long range commutes or for those wanting to carry quite a lot of stuff they are excellent. Commute time by car for me is 25-27mins or 30-32mins on the bike where i usually average around 38kmh over the commute. My original plan was to be able to avoid changing clothes at work but that’s just not possible unless I’d like to really take my time and i prefer the workout 2 x p/day. Being able to carry plenty of stuff and also have capacity for shopping here and there is also useful but all that adds weight and in the end you need power to get all that moving.

The road tax on my e-bike is about ÂŁ30 a year, this also cover an insurance policy for 3rd party liability.

Started as an e-commuter almost exactly 12 months ago and have covered just over 5000km in the last year. Rain, snow, wind or what ever i take the bike, last winter -17Âş was the coldest and certainly tricky on some days.

A lot of fun and certainly i ride the e-bike to work much more than my colleagues who use a regular bike, they tend to be rather fair weather riders which i can certainly understand.

Why the UK can't align their legislation and fees to something like that. There would be an huge uptake of speed pedelecs

Top Bottom