overseeding your lawn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
thinking about trying this, around my end of our condo building. seems harmless. anyone else?

I did mine Rake out all the crap
Mow a little shorter than you normally do to ensure seeds are in contact with them soil.
Keep well watered if rain fall is infrequent
I just realised your in the USA.Autumn September to October is a good time in the U.K. to over seed.

If you have access to a roller or your mower ha a rear roller it is a good idea to roll the area that’s been over seeded as it helps the seed to be in contact with the soil

Good luck

I did mine Rake out all the crap
Mow a little shorter than you normally do to ensure seeds are in contact with them soil.
Keep well watered if rain fall is infrequent
I just realised your in the USA.Autumn September to October is a good time in the U.K. to over seed.

If you have access to a roller or your mower ha a rear roller it is a good idea to roll the area that’s been over seeded as it helps the seed to be in contact with the soil

Good luck

oh thank you so much! I live in a condo, I have an end unit, so I do a little landscape care that gets missed by the maintenance company. when I see in the spring I put down a little lawn soil, then seed then cover w/ a little more lawn soil. just little bits here & there. it works well. I used the seed that's wrapped in blue, I guess it holds water or something?

I can't see myself adding soil over the whole back & side yard. but spreading seed is easy enough

worried about chipmunks & birds eating the seed. in the spring I cover the new seed w/ a little lawn soil & that seems to keep the rodents & birds from eating it

wondering if I can use the same seed, or just any cheap seed would be good enough for "overseeding"

pawl

Legendary Member
You can get seed with various repellents Have used seeds that have a moisture retention coating. Personally I use a good quality seed If you are sowing in a shady spot there are seeds for that situation I don’t worry about birds as rolling the grass seems to make life difficult for them The only exception is if I need to reseed a bare patch then I cover them with a light covering of topsoil or seed sowing compost

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Is it best to rake out the moss then spread some 'Weed & Feed' stuff before re-seeding?

bought a product yesterday (Scotts EZ Seed Patch & Repair Sun and Shade Mulch, Grass Seed, Fertilizer Combination for Bare Spots and Repair, 20 lb) & spread it around. then watched youtube videos about it. def. recommend doing more research before reaching into a pocket for $$. it won't do any harm but not the correct product. won't do any harm, but some wasted money
1693314553802.png

so I may be buying another product, perhaps straight seed

also, despite a wet spring & summer, we are in for a 10 day dry spell, ugh. now I'll have to manually water ... should have done this a few weeks ago

if I do get another product, I will time the spreading better

for my own reference, this is the area I'm trying to improve. if you look to the left you can see that my neighbor's back lawn area is terrible. the condo management company has been doing diff. things that have affected the rest of that back area, over the years & they've prevented good grass growth, despite many efforts. while our end of the bldg is doing pretty well by comparison
back yard 8-29-23.jpg

Last edited:
well, this time I bought just seed. saw that we were going to have rainy days for the upcoming week. spread it all around. then we had a torrential rain storm. ugh. Gee God can you please just sprinkle my lawn a little bit every day then provide just the right amount of sunshine for 14-21 days?

so I'm guessing some of the new seed was driven away by the heavy rain, but hoping a lot stayed put & just got very wet

Last edited:
now wondering how early I can put down more seed. is mid-March too soon for the US, Northeast, MA area?

now wondering how early I can put down more seed. is mid-March too soon for the US, Northeast, MA area?

for future reference, snow shovels are going in the basement, I'm hooking up the hose & probably next week, or one day after work this week, I'm putting down seed & some extra lawn soil

the condo lawn crew came by yesterday to blow leaves & it's unknown what else they might do. sometimes they run thru w/ an aerator that puts a bunch of holes in the soil. & they usually seed around the damaged areas of our parking lots. was thinking of waiting for that signal before I put down my seed ...

this is what it looked like sometime last week? from my area looking to the left toward my neighbors. the management company really messed up the drainage, when they put the new patios in
Picture1.jpg

Last edited:

Gillstay

Über Member
If you have moss then your either cutting the grass too hard at the wrong time or its shaded.
Either way treat the grass more carefully and it will fill in the gaps. Same as any grass verge / field. :smile:

Slick

Guru
If you have moss then your either cutting the grass too hard at the wrong time or its shaded.
Either way treat the grass more carefully and it will fill in the gaps. Same as any grass verge / field. :smile:

What's too hard, and what's the wrong time?

I've always had to start the season with a scarifier and again midway through the season.

Gillstay

Über Member
What's too hard, and what's the wrong time?

I've always had to start the season with a scarifier and again midway through the season.

Grass is a long day plant so only mow low when its growing at its strongest ie June. Leave it as long as you you dare spring and autumn.

I have never used a scarifier on my lawn. Only as a paid job for others.

MikeG

Guru
Grass is a long day plant so only mow low when its growing at its strongest ie June. Leave it as long as you you dare spring and autumn.

I have never used a scarifier on my lawn. Only as a paid job for others.

I don't know what part of the country you are from, but sometimes down here in the hottest driest part of the country the lawn is dormant again by late June. In effect we have 2 growing seasons, and two periods of dormancy.......mid winter and mid summer.

Top Bottom