Panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

liberate

Hi, I'm looking for rear panniers, as best as I can judge these seem to be the ones to go for, Ortlieb Back Roller Classic Pannier - 20x2 Litres (40ltr tot).

Has anyone got any views on this such as cheaper alternatives or where these are going a good price.

Cheers........J

Randochap

Senior hunter
Can't go too far wrong w/ the Ortliebs.

All about bike Luggage.

Crankarm

Guru
liberate said:
Hi, I'm looking for rear panniers, as best as I can judge these seem to be the ones to go for, Ortlieb Back Roller Classic Pannier - 20x2 Litres (40ltr tot).

Has anyone got any views on this such as cheaper alternatives or where these are going a good price.

Cheers........J

Search is your friend..................:rolleyes:. Loads has been written on panniers.

Instead of the Ortliebs I would recomment the Vaude Aqua Back Plus which are better. They have hard durable plastic backs making them very robust indeed. They also have a waterproof outer pocket which is very handy. I have the Orlitebs you mention but then bought the Vaude as they are easier to get on with and are more robust. The Vaudes are also easier to close as they have buckles on the side of the bag to secure the roll top.

http://www.vaude.com/epages/Vaude-d...hen&Locale=en_IN&NavSignature=1,7&PageSize=99

If in London you can get them from Two Wheels Good in Crouch End or Stoke Newington. There aren't that many shops that do them but they are good, very good. As I say better they are better than the Ortlieb Roller Classics which are good but the Vaudes are just better. I can sell you the Ortliebs if you want? They are in yellow and as new. I have the front Roller Classics in yellow as well so a full set. Make me an offer.

jags

Guru
my buddy has the vaude they look great he's quiet happy with them ,
i have the ortlieb bikepacker plus ,im quiet happy with mine ,main thing is i reckon there both 100% waterproof great quality,proberly last a lifetime.so basically buy either you won't go wrong,
and if you can get the vaude at a good price from crankarm ,snap them up bargains like this dont come around to often.

andym

Über Member
What jags said - only with a working shift key.

The hard plastic back on the Vaudes adds a fair bit of extra weight whether the extra durability compensates for the extra weight is debatable. And the Ortlieb roll top isn't exactly difficult. On a scale of difficulty if tying shoelaces comes at 10 then they'd be a 5.

If you want a cheaper alternative check out the own brand panniers from Edinburgh bike or Wiggle.

stephenjubb

Über Member
View attachment 2799

£55 postage free, similar I think to Ortliebs. excellent panniers

http://www.cyclesense.co.uk/products.php?plid=m24b139s74p6320

Application - to be mounted both to the bicycle's rear carrying rack.

Securo 680 - PVC-coated polyester fabric. Less durable than Cordura, but thanks to an ideally smooth surface is easier to maintain clean and completely water-proof.

Dry are made to be used where water is the dominant element. They dread no downpours or crossing rushing streams. Coated on both sides, the Securo 680 material not only doesn't leak water, but it doesn't absorb it at all! The pannier panels are welded, which is why there is no problem with leaks on the seams, as there aren't any seams. Additional advantages of the Dry series include the attractive price, low weight and very large capacity.

Material: Securo 680
Capacity: 60 litres (whole set)
Weight: 1650 g (whole set)

Construction:

· Capacious main chamber,
· Stiffening from the side of the wheel with non-breakable polypropylene board 3 mm in thickness w shape memory,
· Seams precisely welded, completely water-proof,
· Tight, rolled closing,
· Nylon non-breakable clamps,
· Fluorescent elements visible even at 600 m,
· Comfortable handle for carrying,
· Steel fittings (hooks), with double zinc-coating, 2 mm in thickness,
· Well performing load-bearing system.

Dimensions:

· Base width - 27 cm,
· Width - 38 cm,
· Height after triple roll-up - 42 cm,
· Thickness - 16 cm,
· Spacing of hooks - 21.5 cm
Weight 1650g (whole set)
Sold in pairs

wyno70

I've been trying to get either the ortliebs or the vaude's. The only UK stockists I could find of the vaude's either didn't have the, in stock or would order from Germany. lowest price I could get anyone down to was £110.

Ortlieb Back Roller classics are stocked pretty much everywhere. JE james currently have them at £67 and Evans have a 'won't be beaten on price pledge'. Evans price for the Ortlieb's is £87.99, so I just got myself some Ortliebs from Evans at £67.99 which for me is worth the £50 price saving whether they are easier to use or not!

Marvellous! Thats another £50 to spend on some more bike gear then!

Crankarm

Guru
wyno70 said:
I've been trying to get either the ortliebs or the vaude's. The only UK stockists I could find of the vaude's either didn't have the, in stock or would order from Germany. lowest price I could get anyone down to was £110.

Ortlieb Back Roller classics are stocked pretty much everywhere. JE james currently have them at £67 and Evans have a 'won't be beaten on price pledge'. Evans price for the Ortlieb's is £87.99, so I just got myself some Ortliebs from Evans at £67.99 which for me is worth the £50 price saving whether they are easier to use or not!

Marvellous! Thats another £50 to spend on some more bike gear then!

Surely the difference between £87.99 and £67.00 is £20.99 not £50? :rofl:

Personally, at the quality end of the spectrum, I like Carradice. Handmade by a woman in Lancashire, IMO one of only a few cycling items that can justify the price it sells for.
Anything with a repair service has to be the best way to go.

samid

Guru
chris667 said:
Personally, at the quality end of the spectrum, I like Carradice. Handmade by a woman in Lancashire, IMO one of only a few cycling items that can justify the price it sells for.
I like Carradice too (got a longflap, a super-c bar bag, and super-c rear panniers) but I found that their panniers are not really waterproof. Got into a downpour last weekend, and at least one of the panniers got wet inside, mostly at the bottom, probably from the spray from the wheels. Easy to prevent with dry bags but still a point to consider.

Bodhbh

Guru
chris667 said:
Not sure how much it applies to the other brands, but one thing I like about the Ortliebs is they are modular and all the spares are easily available. If the attachment hooks start wearing abit, no problem they're a couple of quid. A puncture patch seems to fix any holes appearing (not that that's happened often, once a one came off full of beer bottles and skidded down the road then was full of beer and broken glass).

Does anyone bother carrying attachment spares on tour? Seems a fairly likely point of faliure, the hooks going or somesuch, but in practice..?

OP
OP
L

liberate

Thanks all, for the your feedback looks like the Ortliebs have it on price though at the present..John

wyno70

I was referring to the difference between the ortliebs at £67.99 and the vaude at £110, so yes, technically a difference on £42.01, but hey, as it's going to be spent on more gear, lets call it £50!

samid

Guru
Bodhbh said:
Not sure how much it applies to the other brands, but one thing I like about the Ortliebs is they are modular and all the spares are easily available. If the attachment hooks start wearing abit, no problem they're a couple of quid. A puncture patch seems to fix any holes appearing (not that that's happened often, once a one came off full of beer bottles and skidded down the road then was full of beer and broken glass).

For the record, Carradice attachment spares are available separately, and can be easily replaced.

johnb5271

samid said:
I like Carradice too (got a longflap, a super-c bar bag, and super-c rear panniers) but I found that their panniers are not really waterproof. Got into a downpour last weekend, and at least one of the panniers got wet inside, mostly at the bottom, probably from the spray from the wheels. Easy to prevent with dry bags but still a point to consider.

You will find that if you re-wax them they will become 100% waterproof again, I did and there is a terrific difference in them since, water just runs of them again. no leaks and when the panniers are dry they are breathable unlike the Plasticy type bags that trap the moisture inside the bag.

Top Bottom