Panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

samid

Guru
johnb5271 said:
You will find that if you re-wax them they will become 100% waterproof again, I did and there is a terrific difference in them since, water just runs of them again. no leaks and when the panniers are dry they are breathable unlike the Plasticy type bags that trap the moisture inside the bag.
Maybe... problem is, those panniers are brand new - this was my 2nd ride with them, both rides overnights. FWIW - I do like the breathability. Last year I toured in mostly drizzling but constant rain for a week with a "plasticy" bar bag and a Longflap on the rear - the bar bag behaved exactly as you write, was wet inside at the end of each day even though the plastic was obviously waterproof, while the Longflap stayed dry. That was what made me choose Carradice panniers over others this year when I bought them. But you could be right, maybe it is an issue of bad waxing and I should re-wax them even though they are new.

Bodhbh

Guru
samid said:
For the record, Carradice attachment spares are available separately, and can be easily replaced.
Ah yes, I did have a look on their website b4 posting but seems I was looking in the wrong place.

Cromcruaich

JE James sold out even though they still showing as in stock. Gf got the real mess about from them so last time they ever get used by me.

johnb5271

Cromcruaich said:
JE James sold out even though they still showing as in stock. Gf got the real mess about from them so last time they ever get used by me.

It seems everyone is having the same problem with this company, best to be avoided I think.

If you do an internet search for an item JE James comes up almost everytime when you click on the link and get to the item it was in a previous sale at a bargain price but no longer in stock. But you are now on their site and to all intents and purposes that is what they desire.

What they are doing is not illegal but it certainly is not in my opinion good business practice.

I have had this happen twice with this company, placed order, received confirmation email, received in one case a dispatch email and then a few days later an email to say that items were not in stock. On all occasions card was charged and I had a refund.

When I have ordered from Chainreaction, Bikeplus, Cyclebasket, Bike24.de card was charged only on dispatch.

Cockney Scot

reading through the replies it is interesting to see the variation in opinions. I think I will go for front and rear panniers to distribute the weight. This will also mean transfering the weight from the rear rack to the low slung panniers which hopefully will improve stability.
Whilst I am new to cycle touring I appreciate the advice on weight distribution as I have towed caravans for many years and am more than aware the effect of poor loading that can result. many thanks for all the feed back.

snorri

Legendary Member
delt1c said:
This will also mean transfering the weight from the rear rack to the low slung panniers which hopefully will improve stability.
I find it also makes the bike easier to handle when dismounted and manoeuvring it in to a parking place etc.:smile:

wyno70

On the subject of JE James, why not simply use them to maximise Evans 'We will not be beaten on price'. You simply need to print off a copy of the web page, saying the item is in stock with another retailer and Evans will match the price.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Regarding pannier choice in popularity the two most that spring to mind are Ortlieb and Carradice, followed by Altura.

The modern 'Roll Top' closure designs are the most popular in the Ortlieb range as in theory they are more waterproof than the more traditional 'lid type' closure. All the Ortlieb panniers that have that design have the word 'Roller' in the description, where as the normal are called names like Bike Packer.

I am not saying that roll top closures in reality are indeed better, it is simply that in the Ortlieb range they out sell the lid closure with us by 8/1. The traditional styled lid type closure does in practice also make ideal weather resistant panniers, we have found that most who want the more traditional styling will often go for more traditionaly made panniers like Carradice Super C, if you want to know what I use then it is Carradice, they are 20 years old and still going strong. They are made of the tried and tested material 'Cotton Duck', the material itself is waterproof but the seams are not taped, so technically they can not advertise it as a waterproof pannier, 'Cotton Duck' is also about as durable as I have seen.

In practice however the material expands when wet closing the seams, I recall touring in the Picos De Europa one summer and carrying four litres of water in 2x 2ltr plastic bottles, one of which split emptying the entire 2lts into the pannier, which held the water like a bucket. I am not saying they are better than Ortlieb, both companies make a superb product, they are just different that's all, I doubt we will see many who have anything negative to say about either and rightly so.

Worth noting that front panniers can be used on the rear. Modern travel clothing and indeed cycle kit is such that it packs small and drys quickly, I have done two week tours using front panniers as rears and that was when I needed to carry cold weather kit as was going over the high Alps.

You will be surprised just how you can reduce the packing size, a trial run packing before you go is always a good idea. Modern clothing also helps as will dry overnight, aTravel Towel is very compact. Obvious things like clothing that packs up small and will dry overnight are also available, take enough tooth paste and soap for tour only etc, it is the little obvious things that really make a difference. I actually use small panniers front and rear, even for camping, for B & B or hotel tours front panniers on the rear is sufficient

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

OP
OP
L

liberate

Hi,

Thanks for all the feed back all very informative, I've opted for the Ortlieb rear panniers with a Heavy duty 35lt Ortleib dry sack to sit on top as I need to carry my mountaineering kit including mountain tent. All that and a 45lt rucksack, this climbing business is a weighty business!

Still I've ordered the Ortlieb panniers from JE James (gulp) before the feedback about JE James was posted here! I immediately called them and they say the order was going through, so fingers crossed.

I'll let you know how I get on.

John

andym

Über Member
liberate said:
I've opted for the Ortlieb rear panniers with a Heavy duty 35lt Ortleib dry sack

If it isn't too late, alpkit.com do some very good dry sacks - but I don't know whether they are as heavy-duty as the Ortliebs.

OP
OP
L

liberate

andym said:
If it isn't too late, alpkit.com do some very good dry sacks - but I don't know whether they are as heavy-duty as the Ortliebs.

thanks but just found out they're redesigning them and wont have a replacement until july... cheers anyway..j

Cromcruaich

The ortileibs are heavier duty than the alpkit ones, however alpkit do a great drybag that doubles as a rucksack - really good.

Aldi we're doing dry bags for about a fiver, they were heavy duty as well. Mate had an ortlieb one and it was overkill and overpriced imo, though what I presume you are paying for is that it does have a strap system compatible with the panniers?

Cockney Scot

Panniers I am looking at getting are the Carradice CarraDry Front panniers, £49.99 at Evans Cycles and they will price match (have seen them cheaper). The intention is to pack the tent (not poles) in one front then cooking items (pots, cooker, plates etc in the oposite side. Whilst the panniers are water proof I will still be packing the items in dry backs as double insurance.
I was going to pack the sleeping bag in one of the fronts , but thinking logically I think it would be better to carry this in a dry bag on the rear rack, dont want to take any chances in case it gets wet. Then the rear panniers will have clothing, towels etc. It may even be possible that the sleeping bag and the mat will fit in one of the rears.

Top Bottom