Pedal for Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
What's the route that goes along the canal?
Not suitable for your triban! Done it before, wants biiiig tyres like mine up until the Falkirk wheel. Then it gets smoother. You can ride to Paisley along that route :smile:

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Looks like a mostly dry day with not too much wind - should be a good ride.

I'm just about to head off to the start - maybe I'll see some of you at Murrayfield.

zizou

Veteran
Weather turned out decent in the end - bit of a headwind but not too bad.

Chaos from Kirkliston onwards with the family ride particularly when it got to the narrow cycle path - sending the route down the cycle path is a bad idea in any case due to how narrow it gets and the amount of other users on it but when you also add in so many young and inexperienced riders into the mix it becomes an accident waiting to happen.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Home properly now... Strava details here: http://www.strava.com/activities/81005758

I met @Stig-OT-Dump en route - he caught me on the hill towards the lunch stop. I only took a quick stop but his must have been considerably longer, as he didn't catch me again until right before the finish. Also met @Pat "5mph" at Murrayfield - she was preparing to cycle home :bicycle::eek:

The weather did indeed play nice. No rain at all, and even some sunshine. Bastard of a headwing on the slight incline between Darvel and Muirkirk, though.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I had a great time and my time of 3hrs 35 wasn't far off previous years when I was fitter and less fat. Had one beautiful moment on the ride down to Linlithgow Bridge. A long gentle descent, a windy country lane (partially closed) and the sun shining. A group of about ten of us swishing and swooping through the curves with the pedals requiring only the gentlest of effort - heaven. Just one of those perfect moments that make all the grunty, sweaty bits worthwhile.

Hardrock93

Guru
Yeah, had a great time on the 47 miler. From my perspective, it was extremely well organised - the transport to Glasgow in the morning, the route signing and traffic management and, of course, the food stops. I saw very little in the way of 'chaos'. Granted, the final, narrow path to Murrayfield was congested and it may, in some part, have been due to 'young and inexperienced riders', but it wasn't helped by the occasional roadie sprinting for the finish!

zizou

Veteran
Yeah, had a great time on the 47 miler. From my perspective, it was extremely well organised - the transport to Glasgow in the morning, the route signing and traffic management and, of course, the food stops. I saw very little in the way of 'chaos'. Granted, the final, narrow path to Murrayfield was congested and it may, in some part, have been due to 'young and inexperienced riders', but it wasn't helped by the occasional roadie sprinting for the finish!

I didnt mean it to sound like i was against young and inexperienced riders - far from it - i think its great seeing so many youngsters out on their bikes doing the event.

My problem is more that for large sections from Kirkliston the whole road was full for the family ride - left side of the cones and right side - it was just too busy to then send all those riders down the narrow cyclepath without causing major bottlenecks particularly as the path still has its usual assortment of dog walkers, runners, walkers and indeed other cyclists going the other way. If the family ride had started an hour earlier it wouldnt have been a problem, things would have had a chance to clear, but if you were getting to the area between about 10 to 11 am then it was an issue.

Hardrock93

Guru
I didnt mean it to sound like i was against young and inexperienced riders - far from it - i think its great seeing so many youngsters out on their bikes doing the event.

My problem is more that for large sections from Kirkliston the whole road was full for the family ride - left side of the cones and right side - it was just too busy to then send all those riders down the narrow cyclepath without causing major bottlenecks particularly as the path still has its usual assortment of dog walkers, runners, walkers and indeed other cyclists going the other way. If the family ride had started an hour earlier it wouldnt have been a problem, things would have had a chance to clear, but if you were getting to the area between about 10 to 11 am then it was an issue.
I agree - there could easily have been problems at that point. As you say there was a variety of two way traffic on that narrow path, with several riders ignoring the the organisers' plea to avoid the route for their return journey. I assume you must have set off from Glasgow really early (or are extremely fast!) - I approached Murrayfield at 2.30pm, having set off at 9.15 and things were not too bad at that time.

Jen5656

Thanks Scoosh.

Can't believe I missed this thread. I did the 47 mile today. It's my first road ride and thoroughly enjoyed run, although I did think I would have been using cycle route..need to stay off the red wine and pay attention to detail.
I'm sure most of you would have passed me at some point today.

Anyway it was a great day out and must say, so well organised

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The feed station at Linlithgow -

2hmk9iv.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi all!
I'm sore allover :smile:
Done my PfS, cycled it back along the canal.
Met @Rasmus at Murrayfield him looking a wee bit worse for the wear I must say ;)
Here are my Stravas for the day, will post a proper report tomorrow.
I thought this years ride was devoid of cycling conflicts, maybe because I had an early start, skipped 2 feeding stations, got at the finish at 13.30, before the crowds had time to gather.

http://www.strava.com/activities/81113591
http://www.strava.com/activities/81113572
http://www.strava.com/activities/81113583

Ha ha, got to ride to town early in the morning for a medical appointment, wonder if my legs will make it to pedal :laugh:

Top Bottom