Pedestrian called 999 to report me cycling on a cycle path...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
You reckless maniac!

mangid

Guru
I know a lot of people disagree, but I hate bells, it seems to me you are ringing it saying get out of my way, a polite excuse me is my preferred way it works most of the time and a thank you when I pass, but you do get the odd wheres your bell? even when they have quite clearly heard excuse me and moved out of the way, of course neither is any good against headphones.

I use 'afternoon/evening/morning', when passing/approaching bikes/pedestrians/horses/skaters/etc.. If they don't move to the near/offside I'll then give an 'on the right/left', never really had any issues. Sometimes people are surprised when you wake them from their day dreams, mostly they give a cheerful reply.

mangid

Guru
I don't like them either, as said above some pedestrian take exception.
Bells are very handy on blind bends along the canal or similar, though.

There's an underpass on the Southern busway with 90 degree turns at either end. Terrible sight lines, people always straying to the other side, always appreciate those cyclists who do ring their bells to warn of their approach.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I even tried a bike horn, but that made the jumpy pedestrians too jumpy, I suppose. I use a doorbell type two-chime one on paths, very restful and relaxing, and had a guy get in my face over that. Any more, I just keep the warning devices I have, because there's no pleasing some people. If the bell is too loud, I'd say take it up with the manufacturer. In the States, you call 9-1-1 for a trivial matter like the OP's accuser, you'll be the one getting in trouble.

Drago

Legendary Member
I just say, "excuse me, fat man with no brakes coming through!" They either chuckle and move aside, or desperately jump aside in fear of being slaughtered - either way, it has the desired effect.

loopybike

Veteran
I have a Dutch bell on my daily. Loud but polite

DING DONG!
DSC_0172.JPG

You are lucky. They are not common but probably a few times a year... but I would much rather potentially hit a car than a pedestrian.

The worst one I ever had was again a divided cycle path, in fact about a kilometre further on. It is straight and the only people on it are me and a mother and young child approaching.

Literally just as I was seconds away the mother turned and pushed the boy into the cycle path whilst holding outstretched hands. I skid and, as the mother realises what is happening, screams. I manage to avoid the kid, but by centimetres.

I still regret it now but I just rode on. I was so shocked I could barely process what had happened, and I think if I had stopped I would have lost it. I still think about it now and can only imagine that, impossibly, the mother hadn't seen me and was just playing. That was the worst moment I have ever had cycling.

Surely you mean that the other way round lol!

Not had too many issues with people. I did have a problem with an old fat one once tho. Coming up behind someone on a anal path. The old woman turned around and moved to the side (I presume instinctively upon seeing a cyclist). I went to say "cheers" and no sooner was a I thanking her for moving her fat arse out of my way she starts raving at me for "not making some kind of noise". Not to be drawn into an argument with a snowflake, I responded with military grade profanity. I knew dam well that this would play on her mind for the rest of her day. I could have explained to her that if I had made a noise, or said "excuse me", then I would have been chastised for that too. I know 2 wrongs don't make a right. They cancel each other out.

I know a lot of people disagree, but I hate bells, it seems to me you are ringing it saying get out of my way, a polite excuse me is my preferred way it works most of the time and a thank you when I pass, but you do get the odd wheres your bell? even when they have quite clearly heard excuse me and moved out of the way, of course neither is any good against headphones.
You just can't win with some n0bbers; I prefer the polite excuse me too (and a noisy freewheel helps) too most folk are very appreciative but every so often you get the arrogant pr1ck who turns round, "where's the bell" :sad:

Top Bottom