Pedestrian called 999 to report me cycling on a cycle path...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonali

Guru
My main reason for posting the video was that the boy is reading a racing bikes catalogue, which is definitive proof that they exist!

swansonj

Guru
“Racing bike” and “road bike” are both marketing terms, designed to make people feel good, rather than functional terms, designed to convey information. Nothing wrong with using marketing terms to make people feel good - except that both terms (more so “road bike”) convey unfortunate subliminal messages about what is normative in cycling.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
a0921666551_10.jpg

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Still no eye deer

Ahhh the old one are the best.

I know a lot of people disagree, but I hate bells, it seems to me you are ringing it saying get out of my way, a polite excuse me is my preferred way it works most of the time and a thank you when I pass, but you do get the odd wheres your bell? even when they have quite clearly heard excuse me and moved out of the way, of course neither is any good against headphones.

A bell is a legal requirement on a bike in Germany but I feel the same about them. I try to ring when I'm some distance away and make sure to say thank you when I do pass the pedestrians. Strangely, several times I've been thanked in return -especially by horse riders- for 'giving them plenty of warning'.

One time in northern Germany I was told off for 'not whistling' and after that I realised many cyclists there do whistle pedestrians out of the way.Must be a local thing.

I find the cacophony of rattles made by my Bakfiets alerts pedestrians/horses et c long before I think of ringing a bell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom