Pedestrian called 999 to report me cycling on a cycle path...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonali

Guru
I just remembered the best noise ever to alert pedestrians, dogs, even cars: the sound of squealy disk brakes!

I have a cure for that. Dust. My front brake was a bit noisy and when I went on the dusty towpath last week it stopped. It's starting to come back now and I can't do another dusty ride because it's raining!

I have never had that, I have had people almost jump out of their skin when saying a simple "Hello" they were clearly in another world.
It doesn't happen too often thankfully but I seem to get one once or twice a year. Quite often I've passed the numpty and said 'thanks' and they come back with the 'where the bell' thing :sad: Most people react how you'd expect to a 'thanks' :okay:

bruce1530

Guru
On a shared path yesterday, a “power walker” in front of me, in the middle of the path. No bell or shouting would have made any difference - I could hear the leakage from her earphones from about 10 yards back!

She had really bad taste in music :-)

When she did realise I was behind her (after I had been crawling along, shouting “excuse me, can I squeeze past” for about 50 yards), I thought she was going to have kittens!

Lpoolck

Veteran
Luckily one of the police officers was a cyclist and knew the path. When I explained to them what had actually happened, and offered them the camera footage if they wanted to verify it, they visibly became annoyed they had been scrambled to a cyclist cycling.

You should upload the video footage so you can embarrass the man futher and allow other cyclists see his face so they can be aware of who he is and his attitude towards cyclists in case he crosses the path (pun intended) of another cyclist.

OP
OP
OneArmedBandit

OneArmedBandit

You should upload the video footage so you can embarrass the man futher and allow other cyclists see his face so they can be aware of who he is and his attitude towards cyclists in case he crosses the path (pun intended) of another cyclist.
The footage would only show the back of him when I passed, I had taken my helmet off when locking the bike. It would be the least exciting helmet cam video ever, and there is plenty of competition there.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Mod note:

A few posts have been removed to clean the thread up. Please take the term "racing bike to a new thread if you feel it is worthy of discussion. Otherwise back on topic.

Thanks

simonali

Guru
I was nearly runned over earlier today whilst walking the dog by a girl of about 10 who came around a bend riding on the pavement. Obviously I did the right thing and grabbed her by her pigtails, made a citizens arrest, called 999 and then threw her crappy Halfords bike under a passing steamroller.

Only one of these sentences is true.

One of the funniest things I ever experienced was abuse from a pedestrian whilst riding on Leeds Bradford Supercycle Highway (dedicated) path. The pedestrian was eyes down and ears plugged into a smartphone, basically like the stereotype zombie ped walking along the green painted path with cycles painted on it. He shat his pants as I passed from behind, presumably he hadn't heard my bell or shouts that I was passing, leaving plenty of space mind and not very fast as I was going uphil, but the Muppet thought I had transgressed him enough to warrant a tirade of naughty words for scaring him. Secretly I love it when they shoot themselves as I pass.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
On about home made signs,i'll remember the one i saw years ago for as long as i live! It actually did help me as it was also on a cycle path which i frequently used. It wasn't anti cyclist more of a help to cyclists. Some dirty devil had let their dog have a massive dump right in the middle of the path. Some public spirited citizen must have gone along and on seeing this massive pile of dog shoot decided to warn others of it's presence. They actually went to the trouble of making a sign(demonstration placard style) and then sticking it in the dog dump! It read "Cyclists and pedestrians beware!! Whoever left this is a filthy specimen of humanity and they will burn in the fires of hell"!! Strong words,but i could understand their annoyance. I still have a little :giggle: to myself when i think about it.

swansonj

Guru
I do love the shared paths with bikes on one side and walkers on the other. I count who's using what and the walkers seem to prefer the cycling side by at least two to one. They seem drawn to it...
Round us, at the entry and exit for such paths, the two halves are marked by rumble strips. The pedestrian one has the corrugations transverse to the path, the cycling one they are longitudinal. If there are no pedestrians around, I will always prefer the transverse corrugations, so enter the path on the pedestrian side, and am quite likely to remain on it by default.

Top Bottom