Pedestrian called 999 to report me cycling on a cycle path...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Given the option, I'd prefer to ride on a busy road than a shared path.

I know this isn't an original response, but my children can't.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I know this isn't an original response, but my children can't.
If there were good, safe, shared paths taking us where we need to go, my wife would buy an e-bike and a trailer and we'd cycle our daughter all over, to the childminder and nursery etc. But there aren't, so she won't, and we can't, so we take the car instead.

So even if you don't mind cycling on roads, and as a relatively fit and confident cyclist I enjoy it, decent cycle paths would mean less motor traffic to share them with and would benefit everybody.

Tizme

Veteran
Ditto.

On Friday I was cycling along the Avon & Kennet Canal tow path, nice and slow as there were plenty of pedestrians and cyclists (on the outskirts of Bath). As I passed anyone I called out "Hi, I'm cycling on your left/right [which ever was applicable}" A lady obviously heard me say this two or three times but did not acknowledge me when I said it to her. As I drew level she turned and said "you ought to have a bell!" I simply replied "I prefer to talk to people, it's much nicer" she didn't have an answer to that!

simonali

Guru
Can't remember if I mentioned it before, but I was on the K&A, too. I was between Trowbridge and Devizes, though.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I do love the shared paths with bikes on one side and walkers on the other. I count who's using what and the walkers seem to prefer the cycling side by at least two to one. They seem drawn to it...
I often find myself walking along a cycle part of a shared path, forgetting I don't have my bike with me.

MarkF

Guru
I know a lot of people disagree, but I hate bells, it seems to me you are ringing it saying get out of my way, a polite excuse me is my preferred way it works most of the time and a thank you when I pass, but you do get the odd wheres your bell? even when they have quite clearly heard excuse me and moved out of the way, of course neither is any good against headphones.

I think all riders should have a bell fitted for towpath (& similar) cycling, whether your bike comes not fitted with one, or if the are uncool etc .99p is no big deal, everybody has to be reasonable using a shared space.

But I have found the same as you, bell or talking, neither is good enough for some tossers.

Drago

Legendary Member
Why a bell, when I have a perfectly serviceable voice that is many times louder and maintenance free?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think all riders should have a bell fitted for towpath (& similar) cycling, whether your bike comes not fitted with one, or if the are uncool etc .99p is no big deal, everybody has to be reasonable using a shared space.
99p bells are usually made of cheese. Expect to spendabout £5 for a decent one unless you get lucky.

Why a bell when you've got a voice? Because shouting at people is usually rude.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Shared paths rarely present me with a problem as I tend to ride them very slowly , double walking pace ish. At that speed it feels more like a shared space rather a bike lane with moving chicanes.

MarkF

Guru
And many people complain that being pinged at by a bell is also rude. You can't please all the people, so best to concentrate on what works rather than worry about what offends.

Having a bell gives you the moral high ground and removes their opportunity for dumb "bell-less" comments.:okay:

My .99p Wilko bell did break recently on the towpath, it gets a lot of action, but I think it was 5 years or so old............

Top Bottom