Pedestrian called 999 to report me cycling on a cycle path...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Being dinged at randomly from behind is irritating.

Having to stop (hopefully they’re not too close) and look around to see where they’re coming from.

Much easier to be told which side then I can just move over straight away. Much easier.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Sneaking up on walkers to be close enough to talk is worse.
Why does it need to be sneaking and shouting? Maybe you are unable to ride in a manner which does not startle everybody you encounter or are unable to moderate the tone and volume of your voice so as not to come across as brutish and brusque, but it would appear others of us are able to manage our unsociable behaviour traits.

MarkF

Guru

Having to stop (hopefully they’re not too close) and look around to see where they’re coming from.

Much easier to be told which side then I can just move over straight away. Much easier.

I use a towpath just about every day, the Shipley to Leeds stretch is very well used and people pretty much expect to hear a bell and without one, particularly on a weekend, you are only going to get abuse. Far more people have been scared by my polite "excuse me" than my bell but I know neither is good enough for some.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Why does it need to be sneaking and shouting? Maybe you are unable to ride in a manner which does not startle everybody you encounter or are unable to moderate the tone and volume of your voice so as not to come across as brutish and brusque, but it would appear others of us are able to manage our unsociable behaviour traits.
Not me, but maybe it's just the people who ride around where I walk. I note that Drago says his voice being "many times louder" than a bell as if that's a good thing.

Enough people cycle around here that bells are pretty well recognised now, use is almost second nature, they're almost always taken as a simple warning of approach (not a FU) and they generally seem welcome. When I was stopped to cut a head-height bramble branch last week (lest I get it in the face on my return), a rider about to pass gave two-tings even though I knew they were on their way - I think they knew I knew and were just being sure.

You can't have it both ways: if you're using your voice to make people aware from similar distance to a bell, you're almost certainly shouting; but if you're getting close enough to talk normally, then you're too farking close already and have snuck up on them IMO. Both approaches seem excellent ways to upset far more people than a tuneful bell from a reasonable distance.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
You can't have it both ways: if you're using your voice to make people aware from similar distance to a bell, you're almost certainly shouting; but if you're getting close enough to talk normally, then you're too farking close already and have snuck up on them IMO. Both approaches seem excellent ways to upset far more people than a tuneful bell from a reasonable distance.
Unless you have a rather loud bell I would say that a polite "Hello" etc would be audible from around the same distance. If you need to have a loud bell or to shout to ensure that you are heard from a greater distance then it sounds like you're are traveling and intend to continue to travel at a speed which is too great for the situation. I slow to a walking pace well back from people (as do many others here it seems) they will normally hear my freewheel or gear change, if they don't I talk to them, if they're talking to someone else I wait for a break in the conversation, when I have their attention I go past them at walking pace on the side I have told them I was going to pass them and thank them. Until I have their attention I am not too close, farking or otherwise.
I have had 1 issue where someone told me it was the law to have a bell fitted and the only people that have been startled have had headphones in with the volume so loud they wouldn't hear a bomb drop, there's not much anyone could do in this scenario, they would be startled no matter what it was that came past them, and I have, as have many others here that do the same as me, ridden past many thousands of people.
I have no issue with bells although my opinion is that they can be impersonal and that they can frequently come across as a get out of my way. I've never scattered people by being polite and talking to people, I've seen plenty scattered by the dinging of bells.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

unfortunately you'll have to put up with my bell... i'm one of those mild dyslexics who doesn't know left from right, so if I holler "cyclist on your left", chances are I'll be on your right :biggrin:

Not me, but maybe it's just the people who ride around where I walk. I note that Drago says his voice being "many times louder" than a bell as if that's a good thing.

Enough people cycle around here that bells are pretty well recognised now, use is almost second nature, they're almost always taken as a simple warning of approach (not a FU) and they generally seem welcome. When I was stopped to cut a head-height bramble branch last week (lest I get it in the face on my return), a rider about to pass gave two-tings even though I knew they were on their way - I think they knew I knew and were just being sure.

I must be somewhere in between then as I don't use a bell and I only raise my voice slightly. I never shout at anyone (unless they're a prick in a tin box).

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
[QUOTE 5355721, member: 43827"]I have bells on my bike for this reason and, this is very sad of me, I have spent time on choosing bells for what I think is the right tone.[/QUOTE]

Whilst not a huge fan of bells myself, prefering to slow right down and use my polite voice Adrian, no longer OTP has the most wonderful large loud two tone bell on his Surly.A joy to hear.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
[QUOTE 5355735, member: 43827"]What do you say, and how far away and how loudly do you say it?

"On your right".
" I am about to overtake you on your right"

The first can often confuse walkers who, if they even hear and understand what you say, can possibly step to their right.

The second, which I have never heard said, can only be said at close quarters, and while cycling at walking pace, if it is to be taken in.[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with "Passing on your right" ?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Unless you have a rather loud bell I would say that a polite "Hello" etc would be audible from around the same distance.
I wouldn't because bells are simpler sounds that carry much further while still being recognisable. One of my bells is rather loud but I try not to ring it at full power at walkers (mostly dog walkers IIRC, in case they want to get their dog before I pass).

If you need to have a loud bell or to shout to ensure that you are heard from a greater distance then it sounds like you're are traveling and intend to continue to travel at a speed which is too great for the situation.
I'm passing at walking/jogging pace unless there's 2+m clearance (and then it's borderline whether I'd ring unless it seems like a situation where it might startle them), but thanks for overestimating my speed instead of what usually happens on here :smile:

I have no issue with bells although my opinion is that they can be impersonal and that they can frequently come across as a get out of my way. I've never scattered people by being polite and talking to people, I've seen plenty scattered by the dinging of bells.
The only time that comes readily to mind as people being "scattered" by one of my bells is the time a man threw the woman he was walking alongside into a pathside hedge. That still baffles me and I wonder if the bell was an excuse for some abuse.

I feel that being impersonal is probably a good thing - there's no need to get personal over people walking on cycleways!

I must be somewhere in between then as I don't use a bell and I only raise my voice slightly. I never shout at anyone (unless they're a prick in a tin box).
Nah, you probably just seem silent to someone like me with imperfect hearing unless you're scarily close before you speak.

Top Bottom