Pedestrian called 999 to report me cycling on a cycle path...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wouldn't because bells are simpler sounds that carry much further while still being recognisable. One of my bells is rather loud but I try not to ring it at full power at walkers (mostly dog walkers IIRC, in case they want to get their dog before I pass).

I'm passing at walking/jogging pace unless there's 2+m clearance (and then it's borderline whether I'd ring unless it seems like a situation where it might startle them), but thanks for overestimating my speed instead of what usually happens on here :smile:

The only time that comes readily to mind as people being "scattered" by one of my bells is the time a man threw the woman he was walking alongside into a pathside hedge. That still baffles me and I wonder if the bell was an excuse for some abuse.

I feel that being impersonal is probably a good thing - there's no need to get personal over people walking on cycleways!

Nah, you probably just seem silent to someone like me with imperfect hearing unless you're scarily close before you speak.

Ooh no. Can't get scarily close. Personal space and all that.
Never had anyone jump into the nearest ditch so I must be doing something right.

boydj

Legendary Member
I've never had a problem with an 'Excuse me, please!' from far enough away not to startle the pedestrians on the cycle path. I've found that 'on your right/left' can cause confusion and have them moving the wrong way and their stupid dogs mostly don't know their right from their left.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
[QUOTE 5356187, member: 43827"]I congratulate you on your thoughtfulness.

I honestly don't think I have heard any cyclist being as polite as that. Certainly not going walking along the Taff Trail, which can get very busy through Cardiff.[/QUOTE]
Come and have a wander round my manor, we’re all polite :okay:

mgs315

I must admit after spending a few days out and about in Bath and Bristol I could do with a bell down here.

The thought never crossed my mind in London. I guess it’s due to different types of path and different folks. In London a bell would probably evoke an angry/violent response but down here people are fine with it as a heads up you’re overtake, stay in line.

mgs315

My wife accuses me of navigating using my favourite cycle routes. They are not the quickest, but usually quite scenic and quiet.

You’re not the only one there. My other half wonders why I keep taking the car up some of the local climbs, despite them being a bit too narrow and bumpy.

Having said that I’ve learnt a few good backroad options for when the traffic gets heavy.

Also good to shout words of encouragement at other cyclists if they’re on them at the time. I just hope they sound like encouraging words and not the usual tirade of abuse most are used to!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I must admit after spending a few days out and about in Bath and Bristol I could do with a bell down here.

The thought never crossed my mind in London. I guess it’s due to different types of path and different folks. In London a bell would probably evoke an angry/violent response but down here people are fine with it as a heads up you’re overtake, stay in line.
Nah, a bell is useful in London when approaching junctions to encourage walkers - and some cyclists - to look up from their phones. I've never experienced a bad reaction to the bell while cycling in London. I think it's so much less than the abuse and horns coming from other quarters that a gentler sound is welcomed.

D

Deleted member 26715

[QUOTE 5356187, member: 43827"]I honestly don't think I have heard any cyclist being as polite as that.[/QUOTE]
You need to come Ooop North, I dislike bells as others have mentioned they seem impersonal & almost invoking a right to pass. I prefer to slow, then ask permission to pass, none of this on your left on your right either, although what tends to happen around here is half go one side, half go the other, then a thank you & possibly a lovely morning/afternoon/evening, or more likely do you think we'll get back before the rain!

You need to come Ooop North, I dislike bells as others have mentioned they seem impersonal & almost invoking a right to pass. I prefer to slow, then ask permission to pass, none of this on your left on your right either, although what tends to happen around here is half go one side, half go the other, then a thank you & possibly a lovely morning/afternoon/evening, or more likely do you think we'll get back before the rain!

Exactly the situation I get.
It's all very nice and civilized unless it's Sunday. On Sundays it's like the M25 on the TPT round here and the cracks start to appear.

D

Deleted member 26715

Exactly the situation I get.
It's all very nice and civilized unless it's Sunday. On Sundays it's like the M25 on the TPT round here and the cracks start to appear.
I try to stay away from anywhere busy, my routes I literally come across half a dozen people in 20 miles

simonali

Guru
Speaking of cycle paths, this sign is arse about face, is it not? Do they make them both ways round?

CP.jpg

It's actually refreshing to have gone down this road and not seen a car blocking the cycle path bit. Or is it the pedestrian bit?

To prove my point this is it on Google Street View.

CP2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 26715

Yep some people just don't think when they park, I took my father's mobility scooter out yesterday just to prove whether he'd be able to get to the dentist on his own. Came across a car that was parked half on the verge & half on pavement, then about a yard away another parked half on road & half on pavement, problem was there was a lamppost on the pavement between them, only way round was to go into the road to get past.

Top Bottom