Pedestrian called 999 to report me cycling on a cycle path...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
The police should be allowed to Taser people who park like chumps.
"There, you're tasered and immobile on the ground - now move your car!" Erm...

But yes, I like the sentiment :okay:

simonali

Guru
There's a road in Trowbridge by a car dealership where cars park on double yellow lines right on a junction EVERY day. On two or three occasions I've seen police cars drive right by as if it's all hunky dory. This is the Street View photo, but there's usually another car or two in front of the blue one.

parking.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There's a road in Trowbridge by a car dealership where cars park on double yellow lines right on a junction EVERY day. On two or three occasions I've seen police cars drive right by as if it's all hunky dory. This is the Street View photo, but there's usually another car or two in front of the blue one.

View attachment 426620
As @Drago hinted, it's not a police matter in most places any more until it blocks the junction :sad:

Not that we'd have enough police to deal with it if it was, lately.

But Wiltshire council must be rich enough they don't need to collect that idiot tax at the moment.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member

View attachment 426620

That's because parking has been deregulated and the powers devolved to the local authorities. The police haven't had the power to enforce double yellows for 15 years, so as far as the police are concerned it is indeed hunky dory.

simonali

Guru
I thought they could intervene if the parking is dangerous? Even if not they should still be reporting it to the relevant parties.

simonali

Guru
So, double yellow lines on junctions aren't there to prevent the feasibly dangerous situation where a driver pulls out in front of traffic they couldn't see coming because a car was selfishly parked in their line of vision?

Drago

Legendary Member
Is there any person in danger in that photo? No.

Is anyone being obstructed in that photo? No.

It has to be an actual danger, or an actual obstruction, not a hypothetical one. And when it comes to obstruction it has to be a physical obstruction that prevents lawful passage along the highway, not merely obstruction of a drivers view around a corner as there is no offence of blocking a view.

The classic line from residents is "a fire engine wouldn't be able to get past yadda yadda..."... but there is no fire engine. When a fire engine does get obstructed then the police have the powers to act, that's why they're referred to as "emergency powers" and not "imaginary or hypothetical fire engine powers".

In any case, take it up with your local authority as it is they who now have the enforcement powers. You'll find they farm it out to contractors, who don't care about any where except town centres, as that's where max profit is made. I can quite understand your ire and agree entirely in principle, but it should be directed at those responsible and not simply trotted out erroneously under the standard national catch all of "the police don't care", because In this case it ain't their job to care.

Last edited:
If your bike does not have a bell, is that not because you (or whoever the original purchaser was) took off the bell that was indeed originally fitted to the bike, that being a legal requirement?

I don't buy a complete bike (usually self build) so the legal requirement for having a bell fitted at the point of sale doesn't apply.

D

Deleted member 26715

In any case, take it up with your local authority as it is they who now have the enforcement powers.
Try Rule 243 https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/waiting-and-parking-238-to-252

Once had an officer try to get me to move a broken down car that at the time was insured, MOT'D & valid VED because it was parked down the side of his mates house & where said mate normally parked. When he knocked on the door I picked up the 66 foot tape measure & had him come out & measure it with me, it was purposely 35 feet from the junction. He wasn't a happy bunny, we moved it 3 days later though no point in making enemies with people like that. He got sacked a few years later for having sex with his mistress in the back of a Police car.

Top Bottom