Pedestrian called 999 to report me cycling on a cycle path...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Serge

Über Member
I must be so chilled it's a wonder I don't fall off - my method is to slow down to their pace, make no noise whatsoever, and wait as long as it takes till they register my presence. Sometimes it can take as long as 10 or 11 seconds. :eek:
Ha ha! I do that too, I think I'm far too polite for my own good.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Ha ha! I do that too, I think I'm far too polite for my own good.

After about 45 seconds I get bored and start back-peddalling my Hope freewheel

It's a great way to find out who's afraid of bees/wasps :whistle:

DM23

[QUOTE 5355721, member: 43827"]I have spent time on choosing bells for what I think is the right tone.[/QUOTE]
Until I got my latest bike I never realised how important the actual sound of the bell is.

I've always had those little bells before that just make a ping noise and found them pretty useless as many pedestrians either don't hear them or just don't associate the ping sound with a bike. So you inevitably startle them even though you've pinged the bell several times as you approach.

My new bike came with a bell that makes an old fashioned ring ring sound - I was going to remove it and replace with one of the smaller ping bells (because its not very pretty).....until I noticed that pedestrians almost always hear it and recognise it as a bike approaching. So I decided to keep it as its much more effective and I think it sounds more cheerful and friendly.

When I'm walking I'd much prefer to hear a bell than someone calling out....especially if I'm talking to someone because I'm unlikely to hear what was called out. Whereas the sound of a bike bell tends to cut through conversations and background noise.

Reactions: mjr

Drago

Legendary Member
Having a bell gives you the moral high ground and removes their opportunity for dumb "bell-less" comments.:okay:

My .99p Wilko bell did break recently on the towpath, it gets a lot of action, but I think it was 5 years or so old............

I don't need a moral high ground. I need people to move aside, and a polite "excuse me please" does the trick.

If someone thinks such a form of address is rude, you'll never take the moral high ground from them, so why try? Why even care what that sort of chump thinks?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
[QUOTE 5355735, member: 43827"]What do you say, and how far away and how loudly do you say it?[/QUOTE]
I generally say;
"Excuse me, would it be ok if I came past please?"
Oddly, no one has ever said "No".

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I feel that being impersonal is probably a good thing - there's no need to get personal over people walking on cycleways!
Maybe herein lies the difference. Whilst I'm not looking to make friends I quite enjoy those little social interactions with fellow human beings, a smile, a nod, a wave and a thank you all helps the human race rub along more amiably with each other. I'm all for that.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Maybe herein lies the difference. Whilst I'm not looking to make friends I quite enjoy those little social interactions with fellow human beings, a smile, a nod, a wave and a thank you all helps the human race rub along more amiably with each other. I'm all for that.
You do not have to take a vow not to do any of those things just because you have a bell! Here's a radical idea: let's use all the useful tools, including bells...

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
You do not have to take a vow not to do any of those things just because you have a bell! Here's a radical idea: let's use all the useful tools, including bells...
It wasn’t me that said being impersonal was a good thing.

Top Bottom