Pedestrians & earphones.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
So on the way home tonight there was a guy walking along the kerb next to the cycle lane. He was so close to the ed of the kerb that I had to swerve out of the cycle lane to pass safely. As I passed him I shouted "Boo" really loudly in his ear. *

Is this more or less acceptable than the Op?

*some of this story may be made up

Last edited:

blazed

220lb+
Pass closely, say nothing, stand, fart.

Last edited:

Wolf616

Über Member
Tell you who's worse than pedestrians with headphones...

Deep breath everyone...

Cyclists with headphones, particularly those that insist on being really slow in very narrow cycle lanes. No way to let them know you are coming and if I've ever seen a less road aware set of people it must have coincided with sudden onset amnesia as I can't remember it for the life of me.

andyfraser

Über Member
Tell you who's worse than pedestrians with headphones...

Deep breath everyone...

Cyclists with headphones, particularly those that insist on being really slow in very narrow cycle lanes. No way to let them know you are coming and if I've ever seen a less road aware set of people it must have coincided with sudden onset amnesia as I can't remember it for the life of me.
I'm confused by something. Let's say I'm cycling slowly in a narrow cycle lane without headphones. You come up behind me and I hear your bell (or voice or whatever). Where am I supposed to go? Genuine question because I thought if you want to overtake a slower cyclist in a cycle lane you use the road. If I have nowhere to go then it doesn't matter whether I can hear you or not. Or have I misunderstood that you're saying?

Dan B

Disengaged member
I'm confused by something. Let's say I'm cycling slowly in a narrow cycle lane without headphones. You come up behind me and I hear your bell (or voice or whatever). Where am I supposed to go?
You're supposed to pull over and stop to let the more important faster cyclist past. Really you should tug your forelock as well, but that's rarely enforced these days

Wolf616

Über Member
I'm confused by something. Let's say I'm cycling slowly in a narrow cycle lane without headphones. You come up behind me and I hear your bell (or voice or whatever). Where am I supposed to go? Genuine question because I thought if you want to overtake a slower cyclist in a cycle lane you use the road. If I have nowhere to go then it doesn't matter whether I can hear you or not. Or have I misunderstood that you're saying?

Sorry I wasn't clear in my original post. I meant a narrow cycle lane that has enough room for overtaking, but not if someone is unaware of someone behind them. Some parts of the CS2 in East London are like this. Obviously if there's no over-taking space due to the lane only really accommodating one cyclist then I'd just slow down and wait

andyfraser

Über Member
Sorry I wasn't clear in my original post. I meant a narrow cycle lane that has enough room for overtaking, but not if someone is unaware of someone behind them. Some parts of the CS2 in East London are like this. Obviously if there's no over-taking space due to the lane only really accommodating one cyclist then I'd just slow down and wait
Ah, thanks. Out here we're lucky to see a cycle lane let alone one with enough room to overtake!

Wolf616

Über Member
Cycke lanes are not for cycling fast. Go on the road if you want to go faster than someone leisurely in a cycle lane.

It's all relative, isn't it? I said faster, not fast. If I'm cycling at a fairly leisurely 10mph should I be on the road or a cycle lane?

Top Bottom